New rig, upgrade parts or wait?

perrinrahl

Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
338
Reaction score
24
Hey everyone

This is my current rig, coming to 2 years. Can I get some thoughts on whether I should get a new rig (budget is $2k, tower only), upgrade parts (RAM for sure) or wait?

I'm looking for a significant boost to speed during multi-task work and browsing (basic stuff, nothing video-editing related) and gaming performance. I can play all the games I play now, although more GPU intensive games I have to lower some of the settings.

Significant is of course subjective but if the improvement isn't noticeable, I won't change or may just upgrade the RAM.

Thoughts pls? TIA!

Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H
Zotac GTX 960 2GB
Intel Core i5 6400 2.70GHz
SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB
Geil Super Luce Blue C15 DDR4-3000MHz 8GB(2x4GB)
Seasonic S12II-520 80+ Bronze (520W)
Sharkoon DG7000 Blue
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Well a 2 years system won't feel a lot of difference with the current system.

And new GPU might be coming out this year, maybe u can consider upgrading your GPu.

As for Rams 8GB is kinda low for video editing (16GB is the recommended.)
 

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
6,939
Reaction score
3
If you really want speed, even at day to day use, just disable animation in windows 10 will do. Everything is snappy lol

If you say application loads slow, then sell your mobo+cpu combo, buy an i7-8700 with a B360 mobo, buy another pair of the same ram, buy a NVMe SSD and mirror your boot drive over. Then clock your ram to 2666mhz. Everything is fast then.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,326
Reaction score
6,587
Sell your i5 6400. Buy a 2nd hand i7 6700. Settle.
 

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
1,689
If you're priority is gaming, just upgrade the GPU. If your priority is work, consider upgrading to a Ryzen 5 6c/12t. However if budget does not allow for overhaul, change the cpu to something that has hyper threading and upgrade gpu.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top