New System that can't start on "cold start"

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
Hi bros,

Just built my new rig yesterday. Everything is running but when I leave the system off for a few hours, the next time I power it on it wouldn't on.

The fan spins louder than usual and just stays there, no beep. So far when it happens I just power off and on and it will work again. I tried to reboot again without any problem, but it happens again if I leave the power off for a few hours.

Setup as below:

Asus H97 Pro
Intel 4690K
Crucial Ballstix Sport 1600MHZ
Primary HDD Samsung 840 Evo
Secondary HD Western Digi 1TB
Radeon HD4850
PSU: FSP 550W


Other than that nothing fancy, normal casing with 2 chassis fans. Not sure what is the issue, Still trying to monitor.
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Do PSU paperclip test to see if PSU is working properly. Then reseat all PSU connections if PSU is working properly and try again.

Please state exact model of PSU.
 

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
Do PSU paperclip test to see if PSU is working properly. Then reseat all PSU connections if PSU is working properly and try again.

Please state exact model of PSU.

FSP Raider 550W.
Psu is only about a year old, so doubt the problem is coming from there.
Because it only happens when I leave the com off for too long. When it's on once then subsequently it's perfectly fine.

I just re-installed fresh OS and gonna flash my bios to observe again.
 

AC2

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
1
does your mb light still on when you off the rig?
The next time when you encounter this problem. Try to press the chassis on button together with the PSU on/off at the back simultaneously and see if your rig can kick start.
 

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
CPU overheating doesn't seem to be the issue, as this only happens if I leave the com power off for a few hours.

New thing I realised when this happens:
1) Motherboard led lightup as usual
2) GPU led light stays on and doesn't goes off
3) Only heatsink fan running at FULL speed, chassis fan is not.

I'm beginning to suspect it's graphic card because it's a old GPU brought over from my previous rig.

PSU is also from my previous rig but it's only less than a year old.

I'm probably going to remove my GPU and let it sit for a while and try to see if this happens again.
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
So, basically, when switched on, your rig has lights, your fans are spinning, but there is no image on the monitor, yes?
 

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
So, basically, when switched on, your rig has lights, your fans are spinning, but there is no image on the monitor, yes?

Only heatsink fan spinning, chassis fan are not. I noticed that the GPU light stays on.

Could it be that it's not getting enough power or the GPU is failing? My setup is below.

The weird thing is once I restart it will be fine already.

Asus H97 Pro
Intel 4690K
Crucial Ballstix Sport 1600MHZ
Primary HDD Samsung 840 Evo
Secondary HD Western Digi 1TB
Radeon HD4850
PSU: FSP 550W
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Only heatsink fan spinning, chassis fan are not. I noticed that the GPU light stays on.

Could it be that it's not getting enough power or the GPU is failing? My setup is below.

The weird thing is once I restart it will be fine already.

Asus H97 Pro
Intel 4690K
Crucial Ballstix Sport 1600MHZ
Primary HDD Samsung 840 Evo
Secondary HD Western Digi 1TB
Radeon HD4850
PSU: FSP 550W
OK, try pulling out the GPU from the rig and test with iGPU. If problems still persists, then it could be a problem with either the PSU or the motherboard.
 

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
OK, try pulling out the GPU from the rig and test with iGPU. If problems still persists, then it could be a problem with either the PSU or the motherboard.

Ya gonna try that.

Can I just confirm one thing?

With such a setup is 550W enough to power? I thought it is more than enough.
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Ya gonna try that.

Can I just confirm one thing?

With such a setup is 550W enough to power? I thought it is more than enough.
It should be more than enough, assuming that the PSU is of good quality and not a low quality, liar-labelled PSU.
 

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
The same thing still happens when I removed the GPU. Lost lol.

Btw for a 8pin motherboard should I plug in 4pin or both 4 to make it 8?
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
Connect the 4+4 pin for mobo..

Do not get confused with the 6+2 pin which is meant for gpu.
 

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
I'm now test running with a 300W PSU to see if it still happens.

Removed GPU so that it will have sufficient power.

But this PSU only 4 pin connector, sibei lao ya lol
 

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
I tried with another psu already still same problem.
Gpu also removed.

Probably is motherboard already. Could it be the settings?

Btw when I bought the motherboard the package was open, I asked the guy at tradepac he told me all are opened because distributor need to stick warranty sticker.

How true is that?
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
I tried with another psu already still same problem.
Gpu also removed.

Probably is motherboard already. Could it be the settings?

Btw when I bought the motherboard the package was open, I asked the guy at tradepac he told me all are opened because distributor need to stick warranty sticker.

How true is that?

Can u rmb if the anti static bag was crumpled?

Can u try booting with your ssd only? Remove all cables frm hdd.
 

emphasiz

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
905
Reaction score
0
Settled finally.

Went back to change a new MB, it was the culprit.

PSU & GPU is perfectly fine.

Thanks everybody for the advises. Have a great week ahead :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top