New Z77 Mobo?

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Hey guys,

Any idea where I can still find a new decently priced (<$200) Z77 mobo in SLS?

Thank you!
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Most of the shop in SLS have already start to taken off Z77 chipset mobos.

If you hurry now, may be still got chance, a little hunting may be needed.

Try asking shops such as Tradepac, Best bargain and MyNextCom if they have it.
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Thanks. I managed to call up Tradepac and they still have it in stock.

But now my dilemma is: I am hunting for a new mobo only because my current mobo can't support USB 3 properly. Using an add-on card has its problems as well since I can't boot from USB 3 on the add-on card.

Thus, the two options for me are to upgrade to the H/Z77 platform (where there's Intel USB3 which is most stable), or to the H97/Z97 platform.

Upgrading to Z77 (I chose Z77 because the H77 mobos still being sold are those low-end ones) would set me back around $200, while upgrading to H97 + the cheapest i5 would cost me about $430.

Now the problem is: I checked benchmarks and the cheapest i5 is just very slightly faster than my i5-2400...

Any idea what would be my best route? Or just tahan with USB 2.0 for now? :/
 

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
Thanks. I managed to call up Tradepac and they still have it in stock.

But now my dilemma is: I am hunting for a new mobo only because my current mobo can't support USB 3 properly. Using an add-on card has its problems as well since I can't boot from USB 3 on the add-on card.

Thus, the two options for me are to upgrade to the H/Z77 platform (where there's Intel USB3 which is most stable), or to the H97/Z97 platform.

Upgrading to Z77 (I chose Z77 because the H77 mobos still being sold are those low-end ones) would set me back around $200, while upgrading to H97 + the cheapest i5 would cost me about $430.

Now the problem is: I checked benchmarks and the cheapest i5 is just very slightly faster than my i5-2400...

Any idea what would be my best route? Or just tahan with USB 2.0 for now? :/

I think you tahan awhile more to see if the next gen upcoming cpu will have how much improvement over your current 2nd gen processor. if it's not Alot, you can still get either the 8 or 9 series mobo and by then the 8 series De price should drop le
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Ask yourself these few question first ba.

1. Ask if you need the USB 3.0?
2. Do you have that many amount of USB 3.0 device?

If both of the answer is no then no point le.

Your current i5 is not a big leap from the current Haswell/Haswell Refresh CPU.

If you itch to upgrade then go ahead and whack a B85 with i5-4460.
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Ask yourself these few question first ba.

1. Ask if you need the USB 3.0?
2. Do you have that many amount of USB 3.0 device?

If both of the answer is no then no point le.

Your current i5 is not a big leap from the current Haswell/Haswell Refresh CPU.

If you itch to upgrade then go ahead and whack a B85 with i5-4460.
Actually I don't really need it haha. Just afraid that if I don't get Z77 now it's hard to get it in future. Cos I think at the rate things progress my rig can tahan me another 2-3 years.

But I guess really no point right? Since I heard USB 3.1 and DDR4 is round the corner so it's hard to future proof right now?
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Saw PCT with a huge stack of Asrock z77 E4's few weeks back.
Thanks! But I didn't see it on the price list though haha.

A little apprehensive about getting Asrock. I have experienced stupid bugs with it over the years.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,287
Reaction score
420
Actually I don't really need it haha. Just afraid that if I don't get Z77 now it's hard to get it in future. Cos I think at the rate things progress my rig can tahan me another 2-3 years.

But I guess really no point right? Since I heard USB 3.1 and DDR4 is round the corner so it's hard to future proof right now?

Just tahan till either your cp or mobo spoil bah... By then, u can go get latest gen which may last u another 3-5 yrs or so...

Or you can source for 2nd hand z77 boards with warranty.
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
In the end my hand too itchy... and I went to buy.

Turns out PC Themes really still has many boxes of Z77 Extreme 4 (for those who are still interested), but I settled on the MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming from Tradepac.

So far so good... In fact, it feels more stable than my Z68 Extreme 4. Just that there's no offset mode when overclocking which can get a little annoying. This is because when my i5-2400 goes up to 3.6GHz in Auto voltage mode, it goes up to 1.2V for some reason.
 

twentytwoeighty

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
1,195
Reaction score
0
It's your money and you already bought it but it is not very sensible to pay $200 for a old board with a locked CPU when a H81 board and i5 4590 is $320, spend a bit more for 4690K can even overclock...
 

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
33,617
Reaction score
4
... Just that there's no offset mode when overclocking which can get a little annoying. This is because when my i5-2400 goes up to 3.6GHz in Auto voltage mode, it goes up to 1.2V for some reason.
Probably not enough research done.... else you would have realised that only the 2 "A" brands provide good vcore control with offset options on Z68/77.

Likewise for the newer Haswell mobos, not all brands offer multiple voltage options like Adaptive or Offset which allow idle vcore drops. Can guess which brands do?

Maybe do more research and reading up, next time. :)
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Probably not enough research done.... else you would have realised that only the 2 "A" brands provide good vcore control with offset options on Z68/77.

Likewise for the newer Haswell mobos, not all brands offer multiple voltage options like Adaptive or Offset which allow idle vcore drops. Can guess which brands do?

Maybe do more research and reading up, next time. :)
Haha should have trusted my gut feeling this time then :s13:

Cos my heart wanted to go with Asrock but my gut feeling is always wrong, so I thought, heck, try MSI. Actually I knew before buying there was no Vcore offset controls on the MSI.

Turns out the MSI is causing me even more trouble


Funny thing is, the last time I bought MSI, the Ethernet port was DOA. Seems like it's deja vu...
 
Last edited:

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
33,617
Reaction score
4
I don't have much personal experience with MSI cos they don't send me anything to test. Last touched was the Z77 M Power model...

But for their Intel side, I don't think MSI mobos are that bad actually besides a messy haphazardly arranged BIOS and lacking offset voltage settings on their ?earlier models.

From my forum readings, they have improved much and are definitely way better reputed than their own AMD models. :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top