Newbie looking for web design advice!

Ruzzeh

Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
hey guys. I realise most of the posters in this part of HWZ are advertising their services. don't bother wasting your time with me because I'm still a student and couldn't possibly afford your services (unless you charge about only a 100SGD :o).

that being said, I'm trying to get started with making my own website from scratch but having difficulties since I'm completely new to this area of expertise. i've been on Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, Wordpress but unable to find a template to find suit my needs. While the variety of stylish and sleek templates are endless, what I'm looking for is a clean and simple news-oriented template similar to:

http://www.bbc.com/
http://www.theonion.com/

Basically a template that allows me to stack my posts in tiles next to each other like in those sites. I also need the functionality of being able to categorise blog/news posts into different sections (Local, Entertainment, Politics and so on), similar to how news websites do it.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, i'd be enormously grateful. Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:

WestgateTower

Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
sorry to hijack your thread.

I've bought a HTML template from themeforest and made a handful of changes. however, I'll like to find someone (will pay) who can help me smooth out some kinks - such as images which don't align. is there anyone who can do that?
 

killua87

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
It is easy to buy templates but there is always problems of tweaking the template according to your expectations.

If possible, you can try out Wordpress themes instead of HTML ones as they usually come with a theme options panel where you can adjust easily.

Hope this helps. :)
 

Ruzzeh

Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
hi guys, thanks for replying. I thought no one cared here :S
I already went ahead and built my site with Wix and bought a 1 year premium plan with them. why do you guys suggest Wordpress though? I tried and for a beginner it was excruciatingly difficult.
 

jonchong

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2012
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
Go to Themeforest.net and look under Wordpress themes for Blog/ Magazine style. It costs USD50-60 for most themes so it should be within your budget.

For wordpress setup it's pretty easy, there's lots of videos on youtube to show you how =) Best is if you use your own web hosting, most web hosting now comes with a QuickInstall/ 1-click install of Wordpress.
:s8:
 

incubus07

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
1,040
Reaction score
11
ive played ard with wix and squarespace.

main drawback with wix was that, once youve chosen your template and set up you site as how you want it to look with all the content, you cant preview another template.

If you happen to decide that you want to go with another template, you have to start adding your content all over again. At least it was like that when i played with it a few years ago.

Squarespace was alot more forgiving. If i had a client who doesnt require much features. I would usually use squarespace.

Other than that, im with the other guys here that votes for wordpress.
 

yongjp

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2009
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
hi guys, thanks for replying. I thought no one cared here :S
I already went ahead and built my site with Wix and bought a 1 year premium plan with them. why do you guys suggest Wordpress though? I tried and for a beginner it was excruciatingly difficult.

Wordpress is FREE and has a HUGE community supporting it. This includes multiple plugins and widgets that can really customize your webbie with little to no effort
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top