NIE Master of Education programme

matrix1234

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I am a former preschool educator who was recently accepted by NIE. The programme I was offered is Master of Education(mathematics). I do not have the background in mathematics education, I am wondering what is the career prospect of this programme? What can I expect during and after the study of this course? Hope someone could enlighten me on this regard, actually any comment would be appreciated, thank you all in advance.
 

matrix1234

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the message, I think I can not reply private message due to insufficient credit.
I intend to be a teacher for sure, but I do NOT know if study in NIE grant me an opportunity to teach public school in Sg, or do I still need to go through pdge, say if I do need to go through MOE selection, do I get any privileges if I own a master of education degree from NIE?
 
Last edited:

13nc13ryan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
6,873
Reaction score
10
Thanks for the message, I think I can not reply private message due to insufficient credit.
I intend to be a teacher for sure, but I do NOT know if study in NIE grant me an opportunity to teach public school in Sg, or do I still need to go through pdge, say if I do need to go through MOE selection, do I get any privileges if I own a master of education degree from NIE?

ohh.. i forget got insufficient credit.. oops.. no i dont think Masters in Education can grant an opportunity.. must still go through PGDE via MOE selection.. till now no one knows if NIE Masters of Education have privileges.. I read somewhere in this forum (i tink NIE admissions) that someone have a Masters of Education too but failed to get an interview..

anyway if you are not good in Mathematics, how come they offer you? is it Secondary level?
 

matrix1234

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Sad to hear, I thought this programme will help me to land a public school teaching position in MOE and I was planning to change course from an Australia University. In that case, if not shortlisted by MOE, the only career opportunity might be working as a Maths tutor? I am not sure why they offer me, not that I am not good in Maths but I DO NOT have background in it, they offered me probably cos they value my experience in the same industry I suppose?
 

13nc13ryan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
6,873
Reaction score
10
Sad to hear, I thought this programme will help me to land a public school teaching position in MOE and I was planning to change course from an Australia University. In that case, if not shortlisted by MOE, the only career opportunity might be working as a Maths tutor? I am not sure why they offer me, not that I am not good in Maths but I DO NOT have background in it, they offered me probably cos they value my experience in the same industry I suppose?

but maybe u are lucky? just try apply? do you like to teach Maths? or are u already teaching Maths? usually i tink this course is for people who already in teaching and wanna improve the methods of teaching maths? but yeah there are many tuition centres offering full time position.. i am teaching in one while still trying to get in MOE..
 

matrix1234

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
ohhh, I see, yea, maybe,haha. But now I am in dilemma, dont know where to go.

How is working in tuition centers in Singapore like? YES, I am teaching all subjects in AUstralia now. I guess I do enjoy teaching Maths.
How many times have you applied for MOE if you do not mind me asking? Is the selection quite competitive??
 

13nc13ryan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
6,873
Reaction score
10
ohhh, I see, yea, maybe,haha. But now I am in dilemma, dont know where to go.

How is working in tuition centers in Singapore like? YES, I am teaching all subjects in AUstralia now. I guess I do enjoy teaching Maths.
How many times have you applied for MOE if you do not mind me asking? Is the selection quite competitive??

cuz i tink maybe ur working experiences might be an added edge for you.. u are Singaporean but working in Australia? tuition centres are generally quite relaxed cuz class size is small, unless you are teaching in bigger tuition centres.. of cuz must know the syllabus.. if not students will worry.. i have applied for 16 times already but not once got called up.. and yeah the selection is competitive..
 

ballo0ngirl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
ohh.. i forget got insufficient credit.. oops.. no i dont think Masters in Education can grant an opportunity.. must still go through PGDE via MOE selection.. till now no one knows if NIE Masters of Education have privileges.. I read somewhere in this forum (i tink NIE admissions) that someone have a Masters of Education too but failed to get an interview..

anyway if you are not good in Mathematics, how come they offer you? is it Secondary level?

I guess the person you mentioned here is me. haha
Anyway, when i applied for NIE the previous time was when i have not gotten my final sem results. Not sure if this is the reason they rejected me? But for this current opening, i applied with all my transcript and degree cert ready. Hope it will make a difference. *pray hard*
 

ballo0ngirl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
cuz i tink maybe ur working experiences might be an added edge for you.. u are Singaporean but working in Australia? tuition centres are generally quite relaxed cuz class size is small, unless you are teaching in bigger tuition centres.. of cuz must know the syllabus.. if not students will worry.. i have applied for 16 times already but not once got called up.. and yeah the selection is competitive..

I wanted to reply in msges but apparently i cant. due to the low amount of posts. will reply your pm after i reached the amount. haha
 

ballo0ngirl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the message, I think I can not reply private message due to insufficient credit.
I intend to be a teacher for sure, but I do NOT know if study in NIE grant me an opportunity to teach public school in Sg, or do I still need to go through pdge, say if I do need to go through MOE selection, do I get any privileges if I own a master of education degree from NIE?

hihi, i think even if can get through MOE selection, i think will still need to go through pgde even have masters cos the contents are quite different.
 

Singkiasu

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2020
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Master of Teaching @ NIE

Hi Readers,

I am reviving this thread.

Now, Straight to the point, ' I want to be a teacher,' mid-career switch, preferably at the public schools', Hence I applied for both PGDE (untrained teacher) & Masters programme.

After browsing the other thread (NIE admission), I came to conclusion that it is SUPER difficult to get into Dip/PGDE (untrained teacher position), I believe it's a 'hard nut to crack',:s8:

I am here to check the prospects of Masters degree in Teaching. Has anyone done Master degree @ NIE? Can I become a teacher after completion? If not at public school, can I get a decent teaching job at the private sector? Or will it be useless degree without any benefit? please advise.

Your advise & suggestions matters a lot to me because it's a matter of choice, money, time & effort. I am analysing all the pros & cons before I step into commitment.
 

tiantian11

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2025
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Master of Teaching @ NIE

Hi Readers,

I am reviving this thread.

Now, Straight to the point, ' I want to be a teacher,' mid-career switch, preferably at the public schools', Hence I applied for both PGDE (untrained teacher) & Masters programme.

After browsing the other thread (NIE admission), I came to conclusion that it is SUPER difficult to get into Dip/PGDE (untrained teacher position), I believe it's a 'hard nut to crack',:s8:

I am here to check the prospects of Masters degree in Teaching. Has anyone done Master degree @ NIE? Can I become a teacher after completion? If not at public school, can I get a decent teaching job at the private sector? Or will it be useless degree without any benefit? please advise.

Your advise & suggestions matters a lot to me because it's a matter of choice, money, time & effort. I am analysing all the pros & cons before I step into commitment.
Hi I am currently doing a Master of Education (Science), just applied for Feb 2025. Can i check if you manage to do Master of Teaching ? or are you already in the system?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top