NUS Information Systems or NUS Industrial & Systems Engineering?

Caesarchlorus

Junior Member
Joined
May 15, 2016
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone, I'm currently serving NS now and will be ORDing end of this year. I will be matriculating in 2017. I was offerred NUS Industrial & Systems Engineering (ISE) last year. I reapplied this year and was offerred my third choice Information Systems (IS). My first two choice being Business Analytics and Computer Science.

Now I'm torn between whether to accept IS or to appeal back to ISE. Based on the recent GES, both IS and ISE have relatively similar employment rate and starting salaries.

As for my interest, I'm fairly interested in programming, system analytics, data analysis, math and statistics, and would also like to have some basic knowledge in management and business. Both of these courses seem to encompass my interests.

I have a few questions and I wish to seek clarifications from seniors/alumnis. Thank you for reading this post and hopefully clearing some of my doubts.

1) I understand that the skills taught in ISE are very versatile and can be applied to many different industries (ISE grads can find jobs in logistics, manufacturing, IT, financial sectors etc). This is one reason why I applied for it initially. However, does that mean that ISE grads are put at a disadvantage because they lack the specialized skills and knowledge that each discipline holds??

2) Is it true that logistics/manufacturing sectors in Singapore are to be avoided because Singapore is a small country and lack large scale logistics/manufacturing processes?? Because a significant number of ISE grads seem to be heading to those sectors.

3) Is it true that IS is more business-orientated with mostly project-based modules, presentations and writing essays rather than a technical course focusing on programming, coding and computing?? Because I'm definitely more of a technical guy. Compared to ISE, which one is more technial??

4) Is it true that IS is deemed a second class degree*as compared to CS? And that CS students who couldn't cope with their workload eventually drop to IS. And I heard that IS used to be a dumping ground major despite its seemingly good career prospects, why is it so?

5) If I eventually accept IS, what are my possibilities of transferring to Business Analytics or Computer Science?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top