Nvidia Maxwell

DenNarwhal

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2014
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Hi all,


This just in. Nvidia intends a Maxwell launch in September or October. Maxwell (GTX 980/970) for Desktop but 2nd gen Maxwell (GTX 980M/970M) for Laptops. To those who have just bought ur Geforce 8**M lappies, sorry:(.

Im new here so I cant post any links. Sorry can't help but just google GTX 980.

I just bought my 880M SLI lappy from Aftershock, gotta say im quite sad. But be happy with what you have! :s13:

Thanks!

DenNarwhal
 

hobbes12

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
4
Maybe the 880m gtx could be upgraded to the 980m gtx if you have an Aftershock laptop. I hope so..
 

chiaRH

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
yeah i think aftershock's graphics card are not soldered on. therefore should be upgradable!

only the titan and X-series have the MXM slot. The XG series still use soldered-on GPUs.

Anyways, good to see maxwell finally hit the notebook side on all tiers. With luck, Aftershock might have them by sitex
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Looking forward to see how Maxwell performs on desktop. I think the laptop version will take some time.

To be honest, I think the GTX 880M is already a very powerful laptop GPU. You can always consider an upgrade couple of years + down the road. Don't have to feel sorry for such a thing. You can get a GTX 980M now, you will still feel sorry when the next gen GPU arrives if you think in this manner. Just enjoy what you have now pal! ;)
 

DenNarwhal

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2014
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Looking forward to see how Maxwell performs on desktop. I think the laptop version will take some time.

To be honest, I think the GTX 880M is already a very powerful laptop GPU. You can always consider an upgrade couple of years + down the road. Don't have to feel sorry for such a thing. You can get a GTX 980M now, you will still feel sorry when the next gen GPU arrives if you think in this manner. Just enjoy what you have now pal! ;)

Hey Ken,

I am not sure about whether can upgrade at all. Ai yah, Now we all using MXM 3.0b, maybe next time got MXM 3.0C or MXM 4.0, how can upgrade?:s11: . I know about the tech chase 680M<780M<880M<980M.... The chase endless one lah. Still satisfied with the fact that I got Kepler perfected, should last me at least 5 years.

But for 3D Mark11 performance from 12875 for GTX 880M SLI to GTX 980M SLI to be ~18500 to 19000, the performance increase quite phenomenal. But ah well, from architecture to architecture is liddat.

Meanwhile in AMD Camp, I wonder what is going on......

Anyway, Thanks!

DenNArwhal
 

chiaRH

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
if they are going to change to a new MXM standard i doubt it will be done within this generation and they'll probably wait till after maxwell

and for chasing technology i dont see any point since imo the rate of improvement in GPU power has long since surpassed the rate of games becoming more demanding in terms of system requirements (assuming to get a generally comfortable playable experience, so I don't mean things like purposely maxing everything out with 8x MSAA or stuff like that).

For a desktop standpoint, the shift from 1080p to 4k might motivate more purchase of higher end desktop GPUs, but laptops are fixed at the 17.3" size threshold and I doubt the majority of laptop gamers will want to even game at 4k on a laptop even if the GPU can handle it, since it has more diminishing returns on a small-sized screen
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Hey Ken,

I am not sure about whether can upgrade at all. Ai yah, Now we all using MXM 3.0b, maybe next time got MXM 3.0C or MXM 4.0, how can upgrade?:s11: . I know about the tech chase 680M<780M<880M<980M.... The chase endless one lah. Still satisfied with the fact that I got Kepler perfected, should last me at least 5 years.

But for 3D Mark11 performance from 12875 for GTX 880M SLI to GTX 980M SLI to be ~18500 to 19000, the performance increase quite phenomenal. But ah well, from architecture to architecture is liddat.

Meanwhile in AMD Camp, I wonder what is going on......

Anyway, Thanks!

DenNArwhal

I trust MXM slots should be backward compatible. As to whether you can upgrade, I believe it is more of a BIOS limitation from my understanding. For example, if I wanna upgrade to a GTX880M, I believe it is not that straight forward as an desktop upgrade.
 

Kvicez

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
518
Reaction score
0
Only at VC: NVIDIA to skip GeForce 800 series, GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 mid-September

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 next month
According to our credible sources NVIDIA decided to skip GeForce 800 series and move straight to 900. Of course there is a simple explanation why did this happen.

For the past two weeks rumors about mobile GeForce 900M have been circulating around the web. Apparently NVIDIA decided to launch mobile GM204-based parts under 900M series, instead of rumored 800MX. While it makes sense for mobile parts (to differentiate Kepler from Maxwell), it would cause chaos in desktop naming consistency.

Long story short, if NVIDIA didn’t rename 800 series to 900 series, we would have desktop 800 and mobile 900M series in relatively short time.

That said, NVIDIA has finally came to the conclusion that synchronizing desktop and mobile platform series is crucial to keeping things simple. So technically there are no desktop 800 series, unless of course NVIDIA decides to launch them as OEM exclusive.

Some of you will ask why did we report about 880 and 870 last month. It’s because the decision to rename GeForce 800 to 900 series was made just recently, at the time these cards were codenamed exactly how we reported.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 900 series paper launch second week of September

Okay, so you know how these cards are going to be called, now when should you expect these cards to be released?

We told you there’s a big press event in September. Today we will update this information. The event in question will take place second week of September, most likely between 9th and 10th. However, that is just a ‘paper launch’.

The actual NDA for both cards will lift on September 19th. Bear in mind, those dates may change at any time.

  • NVIDIA Second Generation Maxwell Announcement — September 9-10th
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 NDA lift date — September 19th

I made this rather unprofessional looking chart, so just show what is happening in both camps in the next few months. AMD is about to release two Tonga-based card: Radeon R9 285 coming next week, and R9 285X coming after Maxwell GM204 announcement. There’s also R9 295X, which is currently on hold, meaning its release will depend on GTX 980 performance.

NVIDIA will release both GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 in two weeks, while GTX 960 is expected somewhere in October. In the same month NVIDIA will also launch its mobile series — GeForce 900M, introducing first mobile GM204-based graphics cards.

We are not sharing any specs yet, because nothing except 4GB 256b memory configuration, has been confirmed.

(Visit link for chart)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top