Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Nvidia Shield TV2017 model, have yet to test out the functions yet due to house renovating etc.

Got it with discounted price about $340 SGD included delivery charges, just think that I can share a few thoughts with you gues.

Here are my thoughts for the first look:

The packaging is in solid paper box, with foams inside the box to reduce falling impact, can say the devices are well protected from that.

However one point is making not really happy about it is the devices are not covered in clear plastics to protect it from finger prints/scratches. I have look through mine, some black shiny area on the TV box, controller and the remote control has a few scratches on them. Not really a big deal, but you know this is ''NEW''.:(

Also the controller batteries, after I took them out and check, there are finger prints on the batteries.:(

All of the above mentioned are noticed from the freshly opened box. No one has touched it before. Though this is not the sellers' fault.

Based on what I have seen on YouTube, I have noticed everyone's unboxing review does not has the clear plastic to cover the devices. But, for us to spend a few hundred dollars to get such a most expensive TV and console box, this is what we get from Nvidia. Really? I'm sure I go to the market and buy a $40 Nokia phone they also have the clear plastic for the screen for protection.

The first look make me feel like I have purchased some kind of cheapo TV box from the IT show.:s22:

where did u purchase yr set from?

340?

why more expensive :eek:

Last edited:

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Nvidia Shield TV2017 model, have yet to test out the functions yet due to house renovating etc.

Got it with discounted price about $340 SGD included delivery charges, just think that I can share a few thoughts with you gues.

The packaging is in solid paper box, with foams inside the box to reduce falling impact, can say the devices are well protected from that.

However one point is making not really happy about it is the devices are not covered in clear plastics to protect it from finger prints/scratches. I have look through mine, some black shiny area on the TV box, controller and the remote control has a few scratches on them. Not really a big deal, but you know this is ''NEW''.:(

Also the controller batteries, after I took them out and check, there are finger prints on the batteries.:(

All of the above mentioned are noticed from the freshly opened box. No one has touched it before. Though this is not the sellers' fault.

Based on what I have seen on YouTube, I have noticed everyone's unboxing review does not has the clear plastic to cover the devices. But, for us to spend a few hundred dollars to get such a most expensive TV and console box, this is what we get from Nvidia. Really? I'm sure I go to the market and buy a $40 Nokia phone they also have the clear plastic for the screen for protection.

The first look make me feel like I have purchased some kind of cheapo TV box from the IT show.:s22:

Mine comes with clear plastic. I bought my set from Amazon. How to take out the remote battery? So far I didn't try that

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score

maybe you got a refurb set

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score
1) EVTECH at Qoo10 is selling at $312.59 ($309 base + $3.59 shipping with cart coupons not allowed)
2) Amazon with free shipping is selling for US$199 or ~S$295 (using markup exchange rate of 1.48, which can be lower)

Amazon may be a better choice if you don't mind longer shipping time and wants to buy some more stuff to ride along with the free shipping.

If you're a regular buyer of Q10, you will be able to deduct 1000qpoint and another $9 for using gift card. So the final price will go down to $293.59 which is actually a bit cheaper than amazon.

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Amazon only 280 minus the few cents

Last edited:

xttxtt

Reaction score
is it able to airplay from mac? usage mainly for streaming dramas and movies, would this be better than atv? btw my devices are macs, ipad pro and iphone and i would like to use kodi and seems like this have an edge over atv. guys, please advise. tia

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it able to airplay from mac? usage mainly for streaming dramas and movies, would this be better than atv? btw my devices are macs, ipad pro and iphone and i would like to use kodi and seems like this have an edge over atv. guys, please advise. tia
AppleTV? :s13:

anyway, many video apps on iOS can do chrome-casting.
so most likely you'll be able to cast the videos from your ipad to the shield.

Kodi is kinda all rounder in many way. can have everything within 1 app.

xttxtt

Reaction score
AppleTV? :s13:

anyway, many video apps on iOS can do chrome-casting.
so most likely you'll be able to cast the videos from your ipad to the shield.

Kodi is kinda all rounder in many way. can have everything within 1 app.

that's good to know i can airplay then this is way better.
the need to side load every 7 days really put me off

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that's good to know i can airplay then this is way better.
the need to side load every 7 days really put me off
well, i'm not sure if the app for air playing is working for "Android TV" os but, i have my shield rooted and flashed with a full AOSP running, app, namely "airpin pro" for airplay is working pretty well.

note that it is a paid app.

xttxtt

Reaction score
well, i'm not sure if the app for air playing is working for "Android TV" os but, i have my shield rooted and flashed with a full AOSP running, app, namely "airpin pro" for airplay is working pretty well.

note that it is a paid app.

noted. with kodi is good enough for me

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone find the 5gHz network unstable for nvidia shield tv? I read internet and it seems that there are issues with some 5gHz channel.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am using 5ghz...no problem. you don't have to believe anything you read on the net.

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if VPN, smart dns or an alternative method like expressvpn's mediastreamer dns allow you to watch US Netflix?

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if VPN, smart dns or an alternative method like expressvpn's mediastreamer dns allow you to watch US Netflix?
the netflix region locking is not tied to the account level....no amount of ip spoofing or vpn can let you get through that if your account is 'flagged' as singapore.

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the netflix region locking is not tied to the account level....no amount of ip spoofing or vpn can let you get through that if your account is 'flagged' as singapore.

Read online that accounts are IP based... some Netflix apps (e.g. The wdtv one) on different platforms are hardcoded to bypass your DNS to lookup your location via google's public DNS

I've only read about TorGuard's IP service that works with Nvidia sheils. Not sure about others...

jayz_sg

Reaction score

I use Getflix to watch US Netflix. They have an option in their dashboard to switch to local Netflix or US Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.