Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use Getflix to watch US Netflix. They have an option in their dashboard to switch to local Netflix or US Netflix.

Do you mean you use getflix on the Nvidia Shield? Is this through a side loaded vpn app or via manual DNS settings?

jayz_sg

Reaction score
Do you mean you use getflix on the Nvidia Shield? Is this through a side loaded vpn app or via manual DNS settings?

It's not an app. It's a smart DNS service. You can add the DNS on the Shield, but I just add it on my router so all my device go thru the DNS service, I can watch Netflix, Hulu on my all my devices this way.

You can get Getflix Lifetime subscription here.

https://deals.androidauthority.com/sales/getflix-lifetime-subscription?rid=3839023

Disclaimer: The above is my referral link, I believe you should be able to get $10 off from my link.

Edit: Sorry, It looks like the $10 off is for next purchase only.

Last edited:

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not an app. It's a smart DNS service. You can add the DNS on the Shield, but I just add it on my router so all my device go thru the DNS service, I can watch Netflix, Hulu on my all my devices this way.

You can get Getflix Lifetime subscription here.

https://deals.androidauthority.com/sales/getflix-lifetime-subscription?rid=3839023

Disclaimer: The above is my referral link, I believe you should be able to get $10 off from my link.

Edit: Sorry, It looks like the $10 off is for next purchase only.

Just ordered the shield and will try it with my current expressvpn first. Thanks for the recommendation though - $39 for lifetime getflix is a good deal 😁

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I meant that when I sign up with my iPhone, getflix capture my public IP address. Assuming if I want to set this up on my nvidia tv, how do I get the public ip of my nvidia tv? Or even my router?

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I meant that when I sign up with my iPhone, getflix capture my public IP address. Assuming if I want to set this up on my nvidia tv, how do I get the public ip of my nvidia tv? Or even my router?
What router r u using?
Eg. Asus, once u login to the router, it will show u your ip.
Do u have a static ip?
Im not sure how or if the service works with dynamic ip.

In ur router dns page.
Set manual dns and enter the one provided by the service u signed up for.
Enter 2 of them if there is option to do so.
Save.

Does your router have function to set rules making sure which connected device
Goes thru the router?
If so, make sure u made the shield goes thru the router.

There after u can reset ur devices.
Then visit the webpage of the service u signed up for.
It should verify if u r setup rightly..

Fiddler

Banned
Reaction score
i am using 5ghz...no problem. you don't have to believe anything you read on the net.

You're lucky….I must live in a high density neighbourhood….5ghz network doesn't even show on my wifi channels even though its activated and Ive used it before at a previous address without issues.

jayz_sg

Reaction score

Your public IP for your iPhone and Shield TV is the same assuming you are at home and both devices are on the same network. If you are outside on your iPhone and want to update your public IP of your Shield TV at home, you cannot do that.

There is an iPhone/Android App for getflix, just download it, login and update the IP there. You have to be on the same network as before.

So you will have to do this every now and then as your Public IP will change periodically, if you dun want to do this this every time you need a ddns service. Your router should come with a free ddns service, asus, dlink etc has the service available, just register for the free service and link it on your router. Then go the getflix dashboard and enter your ddns domain name there. It will then auto update your IP so you will not have service disruption when your IP changes.

If you use static IP then you do not need to do all this.

physistry

Reaction score
Tried inserting getflix dns to Asus router.

Worked flawlessly for my com that's connected. Able to view Netflix contents and play them. But on nvidia shield netflix app, it gave the sign that they detected a proxy or unblocker. Any advice?

edit: on wired connection for all my devices (except mobile phone). did insert the DNS manually on nvidia shield by network > ip configuration > static ip and all.

using asus router, and all other devices connected worked fine via the dns entered from getflix, except nvidia shield.

Last edited:

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried inserting getflix dns to Asus router.

Worked flawlessly for my com that's connected. Able to view Netflix contents and play them. But on nvidia shield netflix app, it gave the sign that they detected a proxy or unblocker. Any advice?

edit: on wired connection for all my devices (except mobile phone). did insert the DNS manually on nvidia shield by network > ip configuration > static ip and all.

using asus router, and all other devices connected worked fine via the dns entered from getflix, except nvidia shield.
Make a rule on the router under parental setting to ensure the shield goes thru the router.
Netflix apps are dns hard coded

physistry

Reaction score
Make a rule on the router under parental setting to ensure the shield goes thru the router.
Netflix apps are dns hard coded

yeah i tried parental settings too to allow nvidia shield throughout the entire day from my router. still having the same error message.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah i tried parental settings too to allow nvidia shield throughout the entire day from my router. still having the same error message.
my bad, i meant to say DNS-based filtering (remembered wrongly)

enable dns-based filtering
global rule - Router

then enter your shield MAC address
both address, wired and wireless (each have a different address)
and set the filter mode to router

physistry

Reaction score
my bad, i meant to say DNS-based filtering (remembered wrongly)

enable dns-based filtering
global rule - Router

then enter your shield MAC address
both address, wired and wireless (each have a different address)
and set the filter mode to router

thanks.

but im using the RT-N56U, so i do not have the option of dns filtering (AI Protection) on my asus config page. :s22:

physistry

Reaction score
Doubt I'd be able to configure those. Which router model would be able to set that yea? Also, aside from getflix, are there any other worthwhile recommendations?

jayz_sg

Reaction score
I use GetFlix too and I din have to setup any iptables rules. Netflix app on Shield TV is not dns hard coded, I can use Netflix US on my shield TV. To know if you can stream netflix US, try to search for the Flash TV show, iirc only netflix us has, netflix sg dun have that show. I setup the getflix dns on my Asus RT-AC87U router and my devices works without additional setup.

Try restarting your router and shield TV. Also try to turn off the netflix region in getflix dashboard and turn on again.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using AC88U but i believe all the newer ones comes with snd filtering option.

@jayz_sg mentioned app on the Shield is not hard coded, the leanback version maybe not but the normal version definitely yes lol.
I have flashed my shield to a full AOSP build and seldom use the leanback version, using the normal app most of the time.

physistry

Reaction score
I use GetFlix too and I din have to setup any iptables rules. Netflix app on Shield TV is not dns hard coded, I can use Netflix US on my shield TV. To know if you can stream netflix US, try to search for the Flash TV show, iirc only netflix us has, netflix sg dun have that show. I setup the getflix dns on my Asus RT-AC87U router and my devices works without additional setup.

Try restarting your router and shield TV. Also try to turn off the netflix region in getflix dashboard and turn on again.

thanks.

will try that soon. but for now, i keep having DNS failed on getflix website itself even after configuring on both router/pc with no issues. could it be their downtime momentarily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.