NZXT Sentry 3 Touchscreen Fan Controller

djdestiny

Reaction score
NZXT recently released a new fan controller to update their old NZXT Sentry 2.
Also, I want to say thank you to Hydra Distribution for sending it to me ;)

_DSC0021.JPG

_DSC0022.JPG

15W ...
I've got fan controllers that will do 30W all day and night across 3 channels

_DSC0001.JPG

_DSC0003.JPG

;)

_DSC0024.JPG

_DSC0025.JPG

Mind you there really isn't a single word about where it's made ... this is not a good sign ...

djdestiny

Reaction score
_DSC0026.JPG

5.4" Massive.

Package contents

_DSC0027.JPG

Straight away you can tell it's irksome. Just.Look.At.The.Touch.Pads

_DSC0017.JPG

Zip ties, an extra thermo probe in case you lose it.

_DSC0018.JPG

A hopelessly complicated user manual that doesn't say anything about manual mode not reporting any RPM. Strangely the user manual says there are 3 thermometer probes. Odd.

_DSC0005.JPG

This in quiet mode. "Quiet" minimum speed is 40% and it ramps up to 50% at 32C :sarcastic and it also spins for 30secs at full speed before going down to set speed when you turn it on, change mode and change fan settings.

_DSC0006.JPG

You see what I mean.

_DSC0007.JPG

Performance mode? And they expect the probe to placed on the cpu socket ...

djdestiny

Reaction score
_DSC0008.JPG

It gets worse.

_DSC0009.JPG

Temp probe is off by 0.9C and the circuitry is only good for 0.5C gaps. Well meaning it only updates from 42.1C to 42.6C as an exmaple even if the actual temp dropped by 0.1C only.

_DSC0010.JPG

You get the drift now?

_DSC0011.JPG

They didn't even bother to clean off the mound of flux

_DSC0015.JPG

Holtek chips (Possibly LCD, haven't checked on it) on two ends of the boards.

No wonder it's only good for 15W the transistors are SOT23! Still better than the previous gens which brought to the table bling and 5W or 10W. Also it's a PWM design although the pathetically low rating lead me to think it's a voltage design but .. NAW. this is 2014

In case you still don't get it I have a video for you

Also, Bad viewing angle. Viewed straight on it is dim but the only real viewing angle is from above

Pros
Touchscreen!
Automatic fan control ability

Cons
40% minimum
30sec delay between modes and fan settings when turning it down ...
Bad viewing angle
Exposed touch pads, not something you want to see
Only 1 temperature probe unlike NZXT Sentry 3 or the majority of fan controllers out there

Wrapping up I initially wanted to use it so badly for my project log fall of schwarz but it is so clunky and weird that I don't want to use it anymore ... Oh well.
It is a feature packed and great fan controller on paper ... Good idea but not refined at all.

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, going simple is better than trying throw in a butt-load of features which will affect the user experience.

djdestiny

Reaction score
Cannot put so bluntly lah :s13::o
Cannot put so bluntly ... This one was a gift anyway. Doing hydra service by reviewing it ... Maybe not a good idea :o

:D
+1 for rare honest reviewer.

I try my best to keep it as unbiased as possible. If I let me NZXT frustration take over it will be a hate-fueled review ...
The countless quality issues on my S810 ...

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good thing that this thing sucks, cause it keeps NZXT true to its roots; sub par plasticky stuff

Assault

Master Member
Reaction score
I have the old model Sentry 2 in my rig and don't have the 30 second delay issue, I guess in this case LESS is MORE!

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had the older Sentry 2 as well, the damn thing minimum speed was 40% too

djdestiny

Reaction score
At the same price of the S2 I can say for all the inconvenience ... Just buy a lamptron. Save your frustration.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At the same price of the S2 I can say for all the inconvenience ... Just buy a lamptron. Save your frustration.

You'd probably won't please Hydra, but +1 for your honest review & comments. Doing it a la Linus is a nice touch instead of holding the product brand's balls.

Let's see if Hydra will be butthurt or not if they continue sending stuff to you :D

djdestiny

Reaction score
You'd probably won't please Hydra, but +1 for your honest review & comments. Doing it a la Linus is a nice touch instead of holding the product brand's balls.

Let's see if Hydra will be butthurt or not if they continue sending stuff to you :D

Hydra has been nice with me lah besides this is NZXT's fault and not their fault. :o

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hydra has been nice with me lah besides this is NZXT's fault and not their fault. :o

Expected them to be a little critical of your review since it puts negative spotlight on this product and potential sales :s13:

But this being NZXT, there's bound to be something crappy about it :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.