Odd 2nd Hdd problem with games

acoolh2o

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Hello All,


It has taken me a while to isolate this problem. I'd like some more help or inputs. I have 2 drives:
A) 120 GB HDD partitioned with OS & Data
B) 320 GB HDD for programs, games, music

Some games when installed on B would hang the system, had to hard reboot. It would hang just after logging into the game. Those same games, when I moved them to A, worked fine. Troubleshooting done with HDD B - switched sata cables, ports, error checking, surface test, etc. All clear. Other games and apps work fine.

The games so far in question are Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Devillian and some others. Working fine are rest of Blizzard games (not Overwatch or SC2), Dragon Nest, NWN, GW2, etc.

My system is old and I will be upgrading, but not for a couple of months. Need to save $$. Rough specs:
AMD Athlon 2 cores 2.2 ghz
ASUS mobo 8N Sli (I think)
GTX 9500
4GB RAM
Win XP
500W Silverstone PSU


Note: It used to work fine until about January this year.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers! :)
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
Scan your B HDD with HDTune (uncheck Quick scan) for bad sectors.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
You can consider getting a 1 TB WD Blue (7200 rpm version) at about 70+.

Your HDDs look pretty old and should they fail, you will lose your data.

When you build your new rig, you can move the WD Blue over.
 

acoolh2o

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the all the replies

Scan your B HDD with HDTune (uncheck Quick scan) for bad sectors.

I've done this, HDDs are ok.

You can consider getting a 1 TB WD Blue (7200 rpm version) at about 70+.

Your HDDs look pretty old and should they fail, you will lose your data.

When you build your new rig, you can move the WD Blue over.

Data is backed up, thanks. I do have 1tb WD drive, removed when I was troubleshooting. Saving it for new rig. Would like to get an SSD as well for new rig.


I'm wondering if its worth it to transfer the OS (reinstall) to HDD B, as there is more space for all programs and games. Still about 3 months away from new rig. Say before end of year.

Any thoughts?
 

Louisloo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
811
Reaction score
0
Most probably your disk B had unstable heads which is about to fail. It pass the HD tune test because you did a quick test. If you do a random and Full test, you'll see the problem with the disk. Please do not test too long as you may kill the disk in the process.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top