Yeah. The question is why that cable was not consistently passing or failing. Tells me there is an issue either with that specific cable or the test method. How you jump to a conclusion all shipping cables won’t meet 40Gbits I dunno. That’s why I replied you are wrong.
Cant be testing method since TD was testing it with an SR7015, which uses the same tech as VT's Denon X2700H, this is why I assumed it was the cable. If this is indeed a QC issue then its not wrong to say that the cables shipped with the PS5 aren't certified to deliver 40gb+ bandwidth, basically they are no better than the cheapo HDMI cables you find on Amazon, some work and some dun work.
Only the ones certified by HDMI forum to be Ultra High Speed are guaranteed to support up to 48 gb bandwidth.
Correct. The problem is that there were no certified cables out on the market for testing during the building process of the PS5 including for internal use by developers.
Even the C9 and CX only had their firmware update that support 4K 120Hz just 1-2 months back.
They should have a similar device to the Denon/Marantz to do their own bandwidth test on their OEM cables and probably found it good enough.
But similar to mine, the thicker the internal cables, the higher the chance that it can passthrough 48Gbps worth of data through. Thus why, I can get away with having a 5m 18Gbps rated cable to passthrough 48Gbps without any issues. Though I do suffer from random black screens once every few viewing sessions. And it's a sign that the cable is not able to carry the full 48Gbps in that moment. After that quick blackout, there'll be no more issues for the rest of the time. So I will be looking to get that Zeskit cable once I can get my hands on a 5m one that is flexible. Digital signal passing through cables like this only has 2 ways. It's either you have your FULL video signal displayed on the screen, or you'll get a black screen. The video does not downgrade. This is not like analogue where the TV can choose to anyhow take the downgraded signal and display it as is.
There are a few ways to overcome and get 48Gbps to passthrough currently. The shorter the cable length, the easier it is for even a slimmer cable to still passthrough 48Gbps. The longer the length, the higher the gauge the cable has to be. Thus, thicker internal cabling is needed.
Thus why, Sony can get away with a High Speed HDMI 2.0 18Gbps cable as stated on their cable sleeve. Because the cable is short. And thus, high chance that it can pass even higher bandwidth at that short length.
And why I can get away with using my thick yet flexible 18Gbps-rated Elecom HDMI cable.
PS. I am using a 1m thick Monoprice 18Gbps cable and have no issues getting 32Gbps to passthrough as seen with my other post. Played Spiderman MM without any video signal issues all the way.
I suspect TD could be facing the cable failures 3 out of 10 times because he may have his cable twisted. HDTVTest's video even showed him doing the cable test with the cable still in its twisted state. Twisting a cable can cause signal degradation. Thus, leading to an outright fail signal. I experienced this with even an 18Gbps Monoprice certified premium HDMI cable because of the very tight bends.
In the end, I bought this Elecom nylon braided cables which are super flexible and now, I do not have any signal issues.
So it could have been the reason why his test may have failed too because the cable is clearly thin, and was originally rated for 18Gbps passthrough. But since Playstation can get away with using a shorter cable for 48Gbps passthrough, that's what they did.
My advice is, try not to bend the cables too much and you should not have any issues getting 48Gbps to passthrough the original OEM PS5 cable. If you really need to bend or need longer lengths, get a flexible Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI 48Gbps cable such as the Zeskit.