Official Shiny Things thread—Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisloh65

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2019
Messages
2,242
Reaction score
259
I won't worry about forex, if you are holding one of the major currencies like USD, Euro, GBP.
If I hold lots of MYR, Rupiah, Thai Baht, etc then I worry.

For those whose a significant part of your portfolio is denominated in foreign currency, do you worry about exchange rates? Even if say iwda recovers back to 60, what if usdsgd goes back to 1.3? Does it make sense to actively manage the fx exposure or manage it by selling the holdings and converting back to sgd in its entirety as one gets older and reduces his equity holdings.
 

ftpofmpo

Banned
Joined
Jan 13, 2014
Messages
8,431
Reaction score
1,082
does holding both moderna and innovio together makes sense now that both have fallen from their peaks and both are the most promising to first produce the vaccine?
 

shallow

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
235
Btw, NLB Mobile app provides free access to the Bloomberg Businessweek magazine. The only cons is I don't like reading on the phone, prefer desktop. Haven't found a good workaround.

Thanks for this lobang
 

hwckhs

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
1,351
what's great about this bloomberg magazine?

I don't know. Good read for laymen to get financial news and insights?

The latest magazine (Mar 16) is titled The Lost Year: Coronovirus Special Report. I am able to read it via NLB Mobile, but it is a pain to read on a small screen. I don't have a tablet and don't want to buy one just for this.

I tried the NLB eREADS website. Log in and click eMagazine but PressReader doesn't let me view the content. Quite frustrating. Thinking hard if I should subscribe and try for some time. SGD 99 for 50 issues (1 year), or SGD 2 per issue. Can cancel any time and get refund for un-mailed issues.
 
Last edited:

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
12,241
Reaction score
948
@hwck: Hmm i'll just go in and give it a look haha

Does anyone know what is this rule about? I can't see the price when trying to place an order. It only happens if I click on the ticker on my watchlist. If I switch the ticker, I can see the former's price. What's up with this nonsense rule and how do I overcome it?

I have already paid for market data subscriptions!!

Alternative Streaming Quotes for US Equities
Overview:
The SEC Vendor Display Rule requires that brokers give clients access to the NBBO at the point of order entry. In order to provide users with free live streaming market data, we cannot display this free stream when entering an order without the client subscribing to the paid NBBO.

Background:
Under the Rule 603(c) of Regulation NMS (Vendor Display Rule), when a broker is providing quotation information to clients that can be used to assess the current market or the quality of trade execution, reliance on non-consolidated market information as the source of that quotation would not be consistent with the Vendor Display Rule.

Therefore and according to FINRA's enforcement of the SEC rule, any client of a broker that is purchasing real-time quotes must buy the NBBO real-time services when making trading decisions.

All clients have access to streaming US equity quotes from the four CBOE exchanges and IEX at no charge. Since this data does not include all markets, we cannot show this quote when entering parameters for a US stock quote. Order routing will not change based on what is shown on the screen. If one is subscribed to NBBO quotes or not, by default the trade will still take place with the assistance of the SMART order router designed to provide the best price for the order.

https://ibkr.info/article/3398
 
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
5,767
Reaction score
73
@hwck: Hmm i'll just go in and give it a look haha

Does anyone know what is this rule about? I can't see the price when trying to place an order. It only happens if I click on the ticker on my watchlist. If I switch the ticker, I can see the former's price. What's up with this nonsense rule and how do I overcome it?

I have already paid for market data subscriptions!!



https://ibkr.info/article/3398

need real time market data, not the NBBO
btw dont need subscribe if you only buy securities, just use investing dot com for live prices
 

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
12,241
Reaction score
948
need real time market data, not the NBBO
btw dont need subscribe if you only buy securities, just use investing dot com for live prices

Hmm which one is for real time market data? Quite confused... Aren't they the same?

Persobally I don't mind paying abit if it's cheap because it causes delay when I trade
 

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
9,605
Reaction score
854
Everyone: if people are fighting in the thread, flag it and move on. We've had this happen before. Don't engage with them. This, particularly, is the sort of thing you should flag:

Fights are still way more interesting than Mr flowerpods or palms replies.
This is the sort of behavior that deserves to be reported. It fills the thread with trash and makes this place useless for people who want to learn.

Do we have to covert sgd into usd first before buying usd denominated shares like iwda on IB? can we buy first then convert later? I'm asking to see if it makes sense to put limit orders along the way down but not sure what's the sgd equivalent.

Nah. If you've got a margin account, you'll end up with the following:
1) Long the stock;
2) Short USD;
3) Long SGD.

You can then convert SGD into USD at your leisure to square up the margin balance.

Also if the account is a margin account, can we buy first and then fund the account within the same day? Will interest be charged?

Will interest be charged if my net cash position is positive but I have long sgd and short usd cash position?

1) As long as you fund same-day, you won't get charged interest. (You might get charged two days of margin interest until the FX trade settles, though.)
2) You will, yes. You'll get charged margin interest on the short position, and earn interest on the long position

r.
5. 65k sgd bonds buy or sale of combimed mbh and a35 in a day was my record having to undercut many as I was desperate. It’s bloody damn hard and I’m not always willing to sell or buy from many who goes around mbh n a35 getting them cheap from desperate. Spread could widened so widely Especially second half day and prices can be ridiculous. Took me close to 6
Months amassing 500k sg bonds. Ridiculous.

For anyone else reading this: there are less painful ways to execute A35 and MBH! If you’re trying to buy more than $50k of either fund at a time, notional, you can do a “cash creation”—you give the cash to the fund manager, and they give you the shares at NAV, with no need to wrangle with spreads.

Afternoon,

Have recently stumbled across this forum and read the ST book amongst many others. SG expat (30)

Hey, sounds like you’re in my shoes. Aussie here, lived in SG for a few years, and now I’m in the USA.

I am comfortable with my current ETF exposure/ strategy and when I become more settled will start focusing on the country I plan to retire in. But since I don't know where this will be, I am looking for good international bond ETFs (no bond exposure).

I’d point you to iShares UK’s lineup of bond ETFs.

Firstly, you’ll want to buy corporate bonds rather than government bonds at this point in the cycle. Corporate bond spreads have exploded wider with the breakdown in fixed-income markets this week (in short: corporate bonds are cheap, government bonds are VERY expensive). My usual go-to is LQDA, listed in London—it’s US-dollar-denominated investment-grade corporate bonds.

(I’m not a fan of owning bonds in other currencies—EUR, JPY, etc—because interest rates are so low that I don’t think they adequately compensate for the FX risk. If you do want those zero-interest EUR and JPY corps, though, CORP, listed in London, is the default.)

If you’re looking for Australia-specific (AUD-denominated) exposure, which is not a bad idea given where the south-Pacific peso is trading at the moment: VACF, listed on the ASX, is a great Vanguard-managed Aussie corporate bond fund.

does holding both moderna and innovio together makes sense now that both have fallen from their peaks and both are the most promising to first produce the vaccine?

I think you might be in the wrong thread. Pop over to SSI for stock-specific discussion.

For those whose a significant part of your portfolio is denominated in foreign currency, do you worry about exchange rates? Even if say iwda recovers back to 60, what if usdsgd goes back to 1.3? Does it make sense to actively manage the fx exposure or manage it by selling the holdings and converting back to sgd in its entirety as one gets older and reduces his equity holdings.

Your second point is why I think it’s a good idea to have all your bond exposure in SGD. That way, as you get older, you naturally reduce your FX exposure because you’re bringing everything back to Singaporean bonds, and thus to SGD.

Hello, sorry for the stupid question but what do you mean by "buying at much lower levels than 3 weeks ago"? Do you DCA lower during this period or invest the same amount of money thus buying at a lower price?

Not a stupid question at all. You invest the same amount of money (that’s why it’s called “dollar-cost averaging”), but you can buy more shares for the same amount of money. You end up buying more shares when the price is low, so you get a much better average price.
 

highsulphur

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
77,933
Reaction score
40,432
Thanks ST for the replies. These are indeed interesting times again. Brings back memories of GFC although back then we were checking more regularly the CDS of banks to see which will collapse next!
 

cassowary18

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2018
Messages
1,819
Reaction score
201
For anyone else reading this: there are less painful ways to execute A35 and MBH! If you’re trying to buy more than $50k of either fund at a time, notional, you can do a “cash creation”—you give the cash to the fund manager, and they give you the shares at NAV, with no need to wrangle with spreads.

How do you do this?
 

highsulphur

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
77,933
Reaction score
40,432
How do you do this?

In theory is possible but I don't think anyone has actually done that because the fund manager will charge an admin fee that doesn't offer much savings compare to just buying from the market and paying the commission
 

Purplestars

Banned
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
5,265
Reaction score
759
In theory is possible but I don't think anyone has actually done that because the fund manager will charge an admin fee that doesn't offer much savings compare to just buying from the market and paying the commission

Shiny has been preaching this for years but people on this thread have tried and reported that this doesn't work. You have to go through a broker no matter what. But of course anything that doesn't fit his narrative will be ignored by Shiny.
 

Purplestars

Banned
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
5,265
Reaction score
759
And you resort to name calling when I disagree with your points?

I already mentioned earlier on there is a place for cash AND bonds in my AA and certainly never asserted to "cash is only for living expenses and have no use in a portfolio.".

I see that you are not interested in a meaningful discussion on the role of bonds in AA. In that case, I will not continue with you as well. I'm out.

Where are the names being called? Point to one.

Where is the place for cash in Shiny's book when it comes to investment? Is it wrong for me to point out the lack of address on this matter to raise awareness?

People need to learn to accept that there are many schools of thought and do not just blindly flame anybody that does not follow your DCA strategy.
Even the reddit forums are removing posts of people accusing others of market timing and demonising it. Market timing is a very valid strategy employed by many, especially Buffet.
 

popol

Junior Member
Joined
May 31, 2001
Messages
48
Reaction score
1
Standard Chartered Forex

Hi Shiny Things
I'd like to get your assistance. I am using Standard Chartered to buy IWDA. When I transfer money from SGD to the USD account in StanChart, I get an indicative forex rate. Even if I trade immediately, the USD-SGD forex rate shown in the contract statement is different from when I did the transfer.

Where can I get a forex rate in StanChart to be used to track my portfolio (IWDA, ES3 and MBH) % allocation?

Thanks
 

ice888

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2001
Messages
7,830
Reaction score
29
what happened to MBH during the last Thurs/Friday period? It was sold off as well
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,105
Reaction score
4,076
Hi Shiny Things
I'd like to get your assistance. I am using Standard Chartered to buy IWDA. When I transfer money from SGD to the USD account in StanChart, I get an indicative forex rate. Even if I trade immediately, the USD-SGD forex rate shown in the contract statement is different from when I did the transfer.

Where can I get a forex rate in StanChart to be used to track my portfolio (IWDA, ES3 and MBH) % allocation?

Thanks

Shiny Things becomes Standard Chartered's call centre..... :s13:
 

hahaman111

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2018
Messages
784
Reaction score
82
I see online.Most ppl can beat the index. Is it survival bias? Very demotivated as I continue to DCA. :(
 

newjersey

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
856
Reaction score
119
care to tell us your thoughts of

1. living
2. working
3. views of gov

in the 3 ecosystems that u have been?

Oz, SG, Cali

let us know the pros & cons + the reflections of each of these ecosystems, please?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top