celtosaxon
Senior Member
- Joined
- Oct 4, 2018
- Messages
- 1,817
- Reaction score
- 911
I am still sticking by the principle to enter only during the initial stages of recovery.
Why?
Assume that I was right about the recovery stage. Now I have entered near the bottom of the market and protected myself from the capital loss of those who DCA down the market. If I DCA from then on then my average price will perpetually be lower than those who had entered earlier and DCA down before market goes up again.
Assume that I was wrong. The initial recovery was just a false dawn and market continues to dip after that. I am still better off than those who DCA down the market because my entry point is lower than their DCA average. I will then stop buying as long as the market is going down, and start buying again when it is going up. My average price will still be perpetually lower than those who had entered earlier and DCA down before market goes up again (and they probably will continue to DCA if it goes down again).
In both cases I am still better off? Or is there anything else that I have overlooked?
My analysis is that as long as I buy on the way up and stop buying on the way down, it is perpetually better than those who DCA blindly?
The great majority of investors are better off blindly dollar cost averaging at fixed intervals for a few reasons -
1. Discipline is the single most important factor for success with most investors. DCA drives that discipline.
2. Only a very small minority of investors are successful at market timing, this is a proven statistic.
3. Keeping large cash reserves on the sidelines puts a major drag on investment returns over time. The sooner you put your available savings to work, the better.
Anyone who doubts it should put themselves to the test - put a portion of your portfolio on DCA and a portion on market timing. See which one wins long-term.
With that said, if anyone was guilty of #3 above, it’s certainly a good time to right that wrong.
