Official Shiny Things thread—Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikukoh

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2014
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I see. Just to confirm, so as long as I invested above 2k (having >2k worth of IWDA etc. in my account) its fine right?
 

chekseng80

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
654
Reaction score
17
No difference to funding, still can FAST your SGD and it will arrive at IBKR as SGD which you have to convert.

Only change is, if the balance in a non-base cash account is very small (less than 5 USD equivalent) IBKR will convert the remaining balance to the base currency (at spot rate and no fee) after 2 or 3 days.

Usually after converting to USD, there's a few sgd cents left behind, they get automatically converted to USD a few days later.

For the avoidance of doubt, if the SGD balance is more than this 5 USD equivalent (let's say you have 10 sgd or more) then ibkr will NOT touch it automatically.
Thx! 10chars
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
Any defaults banks can just repossess. plus loan value is not 100% of property value
While I think residential mortgages in Singapore are pretty safe for banks, a repeat of the Asian Financial Crisis would be challenging. There were pretty big declines in Singapore's real estate valuations peak to trough during the AFC.
 

kennycancan

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2015
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Oooh. If you're looking at asset management and becoming a PM, the answer's going to depend on which asset class you're interested in. Are you thinking bonds; equities; vol...?

Hi ST, Yes, I'm looking at asset management and wish to venture into front office roles (such as PM) many years down the road.

I'm extremely interested in equities!
 

cassowary18

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2018
Messages
1,819
Reaction score
201
Has anyone looked at the Ray Dalio All Weather Portfolio?
https://financialhorse.com/all-weather-portfolio-for-singaporeans/
It seems interesting. The unusual part is the commodities which I have no idea of its behaviour in different market conditions.

Take a look up thread. I asked ST about it. The main gist is that Ray Dalio is trying to preserve his wealth over generations, but you're just saving up over a lifetime. So you can (and should) take more risks with the 3 fund portfolio.
 

rikukoh

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2014
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hello,

For IBKR, what time should I buy IWDA? Will my order get filled even if the LSE isn't trading/closed? Or is there any timings that I should key in my order? :s22::s22::s13:

Thanks,
Riku
 

CWL84

Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2003
Messages
304
Reaction score
5
Monday to Friday 3pm to 11:30pm sg time. If the market is closed, your order won't get filled.
 

netsit

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2018
Messages
48
Reaction score
7
Shiny Things, can I get some advice on what China etfs are most attractive from a volume/share class exposure/tax efficient pov?

I have a 100% iwda equity portfolio (will still continue to dca regularly) and some money in SSB. I am thinking of weighting 5% on a china etf just as a side bet for the long term.
 

kurtgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2014
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
12
Pardon me, shiny.

If one were to invest in S&P 500 index, which one should we go for?

SPY, IVV, Cspx?
 
Last edited:

Kaypohji

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2019
Messages
8,065
Reaction score
181
Guys another qns on the spreadsheet.

I keyed in 1 transaction of varying amount from 500 to 1000 sgd. it all shows Scb to be higher than ibkr.

But I’ve read here somewhere that ibkr is recommended for 1000 sgd and above transaction...

Did I do smth wrong in the spreadsheet ? Or did I miss smth ?

Ibkr only pays 10 usd per month with no commissions forex fee exchange fee and clearing fee etc but Scb is 10.70 usd per transaction.
If that’s the case, then Scb will always be expensive isn’t it ?
 

sleepingcat

Master Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
3,656
Reaction score
73
Is FSMOne the best broker for me... a new investor looking to invest maybe $200-400 per month?

Btw, I have a CDP account on SGX... and there's this thing about Custodian and CDP... can I link a FSMone trading account to my SGX CDP account??
 

kurtgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2014
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
12
Is FSMOne the best broker for me... a new investor looking to invest maybe $200-400 per month?

Btw, I have a CDP account on SGX... and there's this thing about Custodian and CDP... can I link a FSMone trading account to my SGX CDP account??

i know the answer :s13:

if $200-400, was told to go for POSB
if $500 and above, go for FSM.

yes, i have already link my CDP under FSM
 

gold_eagle36

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
1,682
Reaction score
118
Guys another qns on the spreadsheet.

I keyed in 1 transaction of varying amount from 500 to 1000 sgd. it all shows Scb to be higher than ibkr.

But I’ve read here somewhere that ibkr is recommended for 1000 sgd and above transaction...

Did I do smth wrong in the spreadsheet ? Or did I miss smth ?

Ibkr only pays 10 usd per month with no commissions forex fee exchange fee and clearing fee etc but Scb is 10.70 usd per transaction.
If that’s the case, then Scb will always be expensive isn’t it ?

You don't buy every month using scb
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top