maaan this thread has become a sh1tshow. So many weirdos coming out of the woodworks and trolling.
I guess it's a bear market thing?
Yeah, don’t get me started. Just click the “report” button and move on.
Must get rid of toxic in community.
Hi Shiny, can I ask, is the worse over?
So market is recovering now?
Let’s be clear: nobody knows. The stock market is going up, but don't forget: stock markets right now are volatile and whippy.
Hi Shiny,
To be fair, I have been thinking through this issue quite alot too and it's been a worry. […]To mitigate this risk, would you recommend to also keep a buffer of funds to cover monthly DCA investments (6 months?) when laid off?
Um. This is a very good question, but my reflex would be “no, keep it simple”. The easiest thing is “invest with your paycheck; if that stops, then start drawing down your emergency fund to tide you over”.
Also, just thinking about prudent money management—if you’ve been fired, there are more important things than investing! Focus on keeping yourself fed and housed first.
Actually doesn’t this mean ST keeps warchest too? How to buy down if DCA monthly?
No, I don’t keep any sort of war-chest. I’ve been buying stocks with the cash coming out of my pay check.
Anyone here using Standard Chartered, and is familiar with buying stocks OTC?
Why can't I see OTC stocks such as TENCENT:TCEHY? Is it that SC does not provide OTC access?
So I don’t actually know the answer to this, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Stanchart doesn’t let you trade OTCBB stocks. The American OTC market is a cesspit, give or take the ADRs that trade over the counter as well.
Hi, I'd like to ask about a rough estimation of the dividends I get from an ETF with US companies only, both on US stock exchange and LSE(Ireland domicile)
Let's say I want to buy S&P500 etf:
US stock exchange: 0.7 x dividend yield - expense ratio
Irish-domiciled LSE: 0.85 x dividend yield - expense ratio
Would this be a good estimation?
Point 1: the expense ratio gets taken from the fund assets, not the dividends;
Point 2: the dividend tax on Irish ETFs gets taken out before the dividends are calculated.
So the right numbers are, unless I’m missing something:
US-domiciled-and-listed: 0.7 * dividend yield
Irish-domiciled LSE: 1.0* dividend yield.
Think of it this way. Because the USD is so strong, you have to spend relatively fewer USD to get the same lump of stocks in IWDA.
[…]
regarding your above quote - so actually its quite balanced on both sides regardless SGD/USD up or down ?
[…]
is the train of though correct?
Yep, you’ve got it.
Isn't printing infinite USD going to bring down the value of the dollar in future?
Sent from HUAWEI VOG-L29 using GAGT
Not if every other central bank is in full HAHA MONEY PRINTER GO BRRR mode as well.
ST, any thoughts on Warren Buffett's proposed 90-10 indexing portfolio for layman? Is it too risky?
Yeah. That’s too aggressive. Imagine you’re a retiree headed into retirement with 90% of your portfolio in equities - if you were about to retire and you saw a drawdown like we’re going through now, that would ruin your retirement plan.
I have a "warchest" that was in place since 2017-8. Although right now is a good time to deploy said "warchest". I find it even more difficult to deploy now because thoughts like "This is going to go even lower!", and "Cash is king! Stock will never recover" always pop up in my mind. Reading the news would always be stuffs like "Great Depression 2020!" etc
[…]I guess my point is that different people may be suitable for different strategy.
Some people may be risk takers and can deploy their "warchest" once it "hit the bottom". That is also the best way to earn in fact. But some people may hesitate and not move at all until at the worst possible timing. Thus, having a DCA for them is more towards to eliminate the emotion side and continue to invest instead of just stopping forever.
I totally understand where you’re coming from. The thinking that you describe in your first paragraph is very common—very few people are actually able to take the plunge and buy stocks when blood is running in the streets. A big part of the reason that I advocate regular investing so strongly is that it removes that mental block to investing.
(Really, the best solution would be automatic direct-deposit investment! My invitation to robo-advisor companies and brokers still stands—if you want to build a really good automatic-investment offering, call me! I’ll help you design it!)
Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone of you using IBKR received a tax form 1042-S? What to do about it as it does not seem to apply to me as I only invest in IWDA. I’m neither a US citizen nor reside/work/do business in the US.
The 1042-S is just informational - it’s IBKR saying “here’s how much tax we withheld this year”. You don’t need to do anything with it.
The coronavirus is going BRRRR too (or maybe BRRT like the A-10). Is Carrot Top really keen on herd immunity by sending everyone back to work on Easter?
Donny Two Scoops has lost the goddamn plot. Ignore everything he says.
Meanwhile, everyone and his dog is absolutely keen on defaulting on their rent (or maybe I hang out on Twitter too much). This is going to put a lot of pressure on landlords, especially those reliant on rentals to pay for their mortgage loans. There are doomsayers sounding alarm over the mortgage market.
A lot of that is because, over the last week, a lot of leveraged mortgage bond holders have been abruptly and gruesomely margin-called into oblivion. That’s tanked mortgage-bond prices… and, I would suggest, made the mortgage market look worse than it fundamentally is.
I don’t like being short rate vol, but if I did I’d be hovering up mortgages right now.
Besides, also have huge investments in precious metals.
Stagflation!!! Qe to Infinity! Fed balance sheet 8 trillion is a done deal, but I believe will definitely go way beyond! Debt monetisation perpetually
Switch to decaf.
I’m curious: if you actually think the US is about to go into stagflation, why are precious metals a better investment than, say, European or Japanese sovereign bonds?
Or even US equities? Equities will do
well in an inflationary environment.
I had reallocated 50% of my ETFs into put options across mid-late Feb. Last week, I had reduce my put options (20%) to buy VIX put options and sold VIX options yesterday.
So now, I'm holding 50% etfs, 30% put options and 20% cash.
Uh, mate. VIX put options are going to be negatively correlated with equity put options. One is a bet that the market will go up or stay stable (the VIX puts); and one is a bet that the market will go down fast (the equity puts)
I am thinking of executing huge spread iron condor using half of my cash. Hence, will like to consult the gurus on what do I need to be careful with when having huge spread iron condor portfolio?
I think you should take a step back and say “what is my view on the market?”. An iron condor is a bet that the market will stay stable. Buying VIX puts is also a bet that the market will stay stable. Buying equity puts is a bet that the market will plunge by a lot. Your options portfolio has a bunch of bets that are in conflict with each other.