Official Shiny Things thread—Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Nov 1, 2015
Messages
22,297
Reaction score
5,573
Fkin dumb dumb


Usd is forever king and Role for its reserve currency status is rock solid now seeing that China has lost every battle

Trade war- America 1: China 0
Tech war- America 99: China 0
Capital war- America 999: China 0

Don’t be surprised if America renege on its treasury payments to China and nobody on the international platform will make any noise. They might say China owe america back 10 trillion because of the covid damages

And India plus Australia will be next in line to force China to compensate.
Japan aus and India those arseholes can force China to become third world in no time
What those US allies dont understand is that after they pummel China into wasteland, they will be targeted next by America.

Long live the dollar and the fed printing press.



This is just sad. Seeing how US can easily suppress China
Worse than the humiliation by UK by selling opium to china
 

chrisloh65

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2019
Messages
2,242
Reaction score
259
This kind of vulgar, derogatory, insulting, and racist comments is don't know what to say............ :s22:

dont post this here. The mantra is just keep buying iwda / vwra and mbh and a35 and some cash


Dollar will perpetually be king

America Has won the tech wars. Fkin yellow skin and asia weak man forever sug amdk cok
Tok tok operations get forced to sell pennies on dollars to Microsoft or just get the fug out. Nobody in the west protest that this is not rule of law

Huawei also another gone case. Japan ban them, uk ban them, Aus ban them. Asian forever be amdk chauffeur, is really a joke

America number 1. China is losing every tech war I see and the dollar is highly likely gonna reign supreme for another century with no possible contender in sight

Long live the dollar and long live the fed printing press. I don’t see the dollar role being diminished since China is losing every battle, tech war, capital war, trade war.

Even Taiwan and hk also despise their own ancestors from mainland. The sinkie pwn sinkie mentality is because we have chinese blood
 
Last edited:

chrisloh65

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2019
Messages
2,242
Reaction score
259
This kind of vulgar and insulting comments is don't know what to say............ :s22:

Fkin dumb dumb


Usd is forever king and Role for its reserve currency status is rock solid now seeing that China has lost every battle

Trade war- America 1: China 0
Tech war- America 99: China 0
Capital war- America 999: China 0

Don’t be surprised if America renege on its treasury payments to China and nobody on the international platform will make any noise. They might say China owe america back 10 trillion because of the covid damages

And India plus Australia will be next in line to force China to compensate.
Japan aus and India those arseholes can force China to become third world in no time
What those US allies dont understand is that after they pummel China into wasteland, they will be targeted next by America.

Long live the dollar and the fed printing press.
 
Last edited:

cfleee

Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2011
Messages
117
Reaction score
8
I've still been looking into the No Transaction Fee mutual fund list at Interactive Brokers to see if there are any viable, low cost mutual funds that'd be broadly useful to long-term investors living in Singapore who are not U.S. persons. And I've been looking specifically at the Vanguard funds that are on IB's NTF list.

I'm still not finding great options, but I encourage others to keep digging and looking at both Vanguard and non-Vanguard funds. I looked at Vanguard's "Target Retirement" funds, for example, and there are some that appear in IB's list. However, unfortunately those particular funds are U.K. domiciled and designed for those planning to retire in the United Kingdom specifically. (They overweight some U.K.-oriented subfunds.) Also, U.K. Inheritance Tax (which is actually an estate tax) applies once your total holdings reach a certain level.

The LifeStrategy and Target Retirement funds doesn't appear once I plug in Singapore as the country into the Mutual Fund Search Tool, or view the Mutual Funds product list. For some reason the latter list's "VANGUARD GROUP (IRELAND) LTD (IE)" item shows that some funds don't have a USD 1 million minimum which is strange since they largely look like institutional share classes; but there is also a footnote: "Prior approval from Vanguard Asset Management Ltd is required to trade these funds." I don't know if this is current or just copied over from another country site.
 
Last edited:

flowerpalms

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Messages
58,207
Reaction score
18,757
Hi Shiny Things!

Bought your book 3 years ago, and realised I've been buying IWDA from AMS via SC for years using EUR currency, instead of via LSE using USD.

I've recently realised from the forum threads that I'm supposed to be doing the latter. Should I be concerned and if so, what should I do?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks!

Omfg...you got to be kidding me...

Didnt the book already explain the SGD to USD forex conversion for IWDA? Why you still use EUR?

Posted from PCWX using SM-G973F
 

Divisionfire

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2020
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I don't think buying it with EUR or USD matters given that assets/stocks held are the ones that give it the value? Correct me if I am wrong.
 

isaacsayshi

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2016
Messages
103
Reaction score
2
Can anyone advice me what should I buy for international bonds index funds?

I have been holding cash and losing out on the interest, as I was hoping to buy into the market.

MBH is out as I am holding USD cash.

Low cost bond etf with a short yield to maturity?

Thanks guys!
 

celtosaxon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2018
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
911
I have to say, I’m not totally bought into the idea that target date funds are the best thing since sliced bread. To me, it’s bit like a car with an automatic transmission versus a manual. Yes, you gain convenience, but give up control. If you are used to a manual transmission, it becomes second nature, almost unconscious - same with portfolio management.

Target date funds seem to work best if you put everything in them so that your asset allocation can be fully managed by the fund. The problem is, it’s a one size fits all type of proposition, and I think many will not fit the mold. Take someone with a large pension and a few rental properties... they will end up way too conservative in a TDF. You could argue that they could hold additional equity outside to compensate, but then you’d have to keep track of the allocation glide path in the TDF over time to know where you stand in your overall portfolio, which defeats the purpose of a TDF.
 

swan02

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
14
Why r u holding to USD ?

R u holding it as a ballast safe haven ?

There r short term treasury etf on ishares.

something u must learn... never keep international currencies unless it’s your base currency as they r highly volatile. Some have a purpose such as risk off USD, or Risk on AUD.



Can anyone advice me what should I buy for international bonds index funds?

I have been holding cash and losing out on the interest, as I was hoping to buy into the market.

MBH is out as I am holding USD cash.

Low cost bond etf with a short yield to maturity?

Thanks guys!
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,614
Reaction score
5,598
Target date funds seem to work best if you put everything in them so that your asset allocation can be fully managed by the fund.
I don’t think they’re that limited. I have a large percentage of total assets in a target date fund, and that’s working quite well, actually. As far as I can determine the glidepath will be spot on. You can also adjust the glidepath by picking an earlier or later target date from “standard.” For example, if you have a pile of stocks and/or volatile real estate outside the target date fund and thus want the target date fund to be more conservative, no problem, you can buy the 2030 instead of the 2040 (or whatever).
 

celtosaxon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2018
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
911
I don’t think they’re that limited. I have a large percentage of total assets in a target date fund, and that’s working quite well, actually. As far as I can determine the glidepath will be spot on. You can also adjust the glidepath by picking an earlier or later target date from “standard.” For example, if you have a pile of stocks and/or volatile real estate outside the target date fund and thus want the target date fund to be more conservative, no problem, you can buy the 2030 instead of the 2040 (or whatever).

Aside from the convenience, the largest benefit seems to come from having the forced automatic adjustments, which can eliminate human error/emotion/bias/etc, for those who are susceptible to this.

I had thought about shifting the date out, but the challenge I see there, the date that makes sense today, may not make sense tomorrow (if your financial situation changes). I suppose you could then sell one TDF and buy another one, but those are the activities a TDF was designed to avoid.

From what I can see with Vanguard, about 8 years after retirement your equity exposure levels out at a final allocation of 40%, and 60% seems like way too much bond exposure, especially for those who have other sources of guaranteed retirement income.

I’m expecting 40% of my retirement income to come from guaranteed sources, with 10% coming from a bond portfolio in a tax sheltered account, and the remaining 50% fully invested in an equity portfolio.

For U.S. persons in particular, during retirement it is recommended to keep equities in taxable accounts and bonds in tax advantaged accounts to optimize on taxes, and I don’t think a TDF can be divided up that way. Unless I’m missing something.

Not saying TDF has no value. For example, I can think of some people in my family who are in the “do it for me” crowd, they have no clue & would really benefit from a TDF (if they could muster up enough discipline to save meaningfully).
 

CoolRock

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2006
Messages
13,271
Reaction score
772
Hi Swan02, I saw your post about the new changes to IB SG accounts and decided to clarify with the IB service staff too. Just came back from a 1 hour long comprehensive chat with the IB staff and I thought it will be good to provide these updates here for everyone to know!

1. You are right that there will no longer be a forced conversion. However, we will not be able to have 2 accounts with different entities.
This means that we can only choose to either keep the existing IB LLC account or request to transfer to the new IB SG account.

1(A) So if we choose to keep our existing IB LLC account, no action is required on our end as of now and we can trade international stocks expect SG stocks. Also, we will be eligible for third party protection like the SIPC which covers IB LLC accounts.

1(B) If we choose to have the new IB SG account and request a transfer, we can trade both International as well as SG stocks. However, there will not be third party protection like the SIPC. Our assets will remain segregated from IBKR's business accounts in custodian account "ABN AMRO Singapore Branch"

(Take note that this choice of either keeping the IB LLC account or going with the new IB SG account only applies to existing customers. For new customers, it will automatically only be IB SG)

For those that have applied to transfer or already transferred like myself, we can submit a ticket requesting to revert via the account management page.
Personally, I feel that there might still be changes and will probably take some time before all these updates are finalized. Hope that these information will be useful for you all!

that kinda suck is you can only choose IB SG when you are a new sign up. How reliable is this "ABN AMRO Singapore Branch"?
 

chrisloh65

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2019
Messages
2,242
Reaction score
259
Another expert economist has this to say about unsubstainable US debt and USD bubble!:

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2020/07/30/emmanuel-farhi-has-died-at-the-age-of-41

"Jul 30th 2020 edition
Emmanuel Farhi has died at the age of 41
The economist was one of the brightest minds of his generation

Emmanuel farhi showed a lot of promise in a lot of fields. At 16 he won a national physics competition in France. In the test to enter its most prestigious engineering school, he received the highest mark. After considering a career in maths, he settled on economics, where he flourished. “He was one of the greatest economic minds of his generation,” says Xavier Gabaix, a colleague at Harvard University. But on July 23rd that career was cut short when Mr Farhi died unexpectedly at the age of 41.

................................

Mr Farhi saw America’s role as the world’s banker as unsustainable. If it produced too few safe assets then, with interest rates unable to adjust fully, global aggregate demand would stay depressed. But if it tried to keep up with investors’ demand for safety, its ability to repay its debts might one day be called into question. Speaking to the Richmond Federal Reserve in 2019, he noted America’s shrinking share of the global economy and worried that its role was becoming too much to bear.

"

Expert investor Seth Klarman says US stocks terribly over-priced and being artificially propped up by US Fed! :eek:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-fed-treats-investors-like-foolish-children-by-propping-up-stocks-despite-dreadful-fundamentals-hedge-fund-heavy-seth-klarman-says-2020-07-30?mod=mw_more_headlines

"The Fed treats investors like ‘foolish children’ by propping up stocks despite ‘dreadful fundamentals,’ hedge-fund heavy Seth Klarman says
Published: Aug. 1, 2020
By Shawn Langlois
"
 

Kaypohji

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2019
Messages
8,065
Reaction score
181
Mind sharing what investment vehicle u use to invest in gold?

Thanks for the USSC recommendation.

My issue is I do place some importance in the SIPC insurance but that limit is 500k usd for my joint LLC and even with multiple accounts which I can open personal x1 and wife x1 is only 150k sgd insurance for the IB
Sg. So regret closing my LLC personal. I will exceed the amount.

So I was surprised TD Sg is SIPC because IB sg is if not mistaken only SDIC. So that’s why I’m looking at TD and I’m fully aware of the 60kusd threshold. Hence I can have x2
Accounts. atleast gldm etf I can buy
USA domiciled.

1. So how do people increase SIPC insurance with IB ?

2. I’m also buying Sg reits so I won’t be over the limit in IB sipc. Ie keeping more Sg equities.

3. 0.5 percent TD spread is really ex.

Just thinking of alternatives to a problem.
 

isaacsayshi

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2016
Messages
103
Reaction score
2
I wanted to actually buy on the downside in April, but by the time I managed to shift my funds ( Terminate my SSB) into IBKR, the market has already risen.

By then I missed the boat, so I'm thinking to park into some safe short term bonds funds for the time being.

Could you share what's the stock code for some of the treasury ETF listed on iShares?

Thanks mate!

Why r u holding to USD ?

R u holding it as a ballast safe haven ?

There r short term treasury etf on ishares.

something u must learn... never keep international currencies unless it’s your base currency as they r highly volatile. Some have a purpose such as risk off USD, or Risk on AUD.
 

swan02

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
14
Mind sharing what investment vehicle u use to invest in gold?

gldm to the max 60k USD, or IGLN after. ETFs only. No paper gold from UOB or physical gold.

I wanted to actually buy on the downside in April, but by the time I managed to shift my funds ( Terminate my SSB) into IBKR, the market has already risen.

Could you share what's the stock code for some of the treasury ETF listed on iShares?

Thanks mate!
I can't remember what I used. But had a quick look at IB01 etf. Looks like a popular one with sufficient volume-I assume the spread is good, but best you double check yourself as volume is not a guaranteed barometer for liquidity, but tight spreads is indicative of a good achievable price. But high volume and tight spreads are best. YTM is almost zero. Seriously, why bother ?

Frankly, why don't you turn your USD amount into a "TEST" all weather portfolio.40 percent IWDA, 20 percent IDTL, 20 percent GLDM or IGLN...and 20 percent SGD.

You will be pleasantly surprised that this works best in a High Cape environment which you seem to believe. Then when a crash comes, you then sell off the rest to go full on Equity. It sure beats buying a short term treasury and waiting exposing yourself to HUGE currency risk. We must have our cash work !. When cash becomes a portfolio, the so called FX risk all become diversifying risk that provides benefits rather than be an arse.

If you u r buying GLDM, make sure all purchases ie IWDA and IDTL are done at 10pm -1030pm SG time. If you are using IGLN, anytime. Basically you want to synchronise them as they work together.

Look I missed the boat too. But one has to keep investing. LUMP sum investing no matter how conservative it is such as 100% MBH will likely still beat someone who DCAs over 24 months in 100% equity or any other asset allocation.

Not doing anything is the ultimate disaster and is costly. Turn it to an all weather (lots of liquidity) or 100% MBH while you wait for a crash.

What etf is recommended for small cap us companies ?

USSC etf. But it has a value slant. But thats the whole purpose after all going after small caps after reading that "PDF" .

WSML if you are going after small caps global.
 
Last edited:

swan02

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
14
that kinda suck is you can only choose IB SG when you are a new sign up. How reliable is this "ABN AMRO Singapore Branch"?

I've never been afraid of international banks. ABN AMRO is a dutch bank. 3rd largest bank in Holland. I'm always confident of dutch banks.

What matters that I have to clarify is whether SIPC or SDIC applies to IB SG signups.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top