Official Shiny Things thread—Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,614
Reaction score
5,598
What happens to our policies if Aviva gets bought over?
In a word, nothing.

If/when an insurance company sells a portion of its business, the acquiring insurance carrier services the acquired policies. There might not even be any rebranding. For example, an insurance carrier might sell a particular national territory to a private equity firm along with the territorial right to continue using the name.

In other words, relax. Aviva plc hasn't sold anything in Singapore, and it decided last year (2019) NOT to sell its Singapore business. Maybe the carrier's management will change its mind, and maybe not.
 

jugzter

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
These days, there are zillions of people who fancy themselves “value investors” poring over lists of low-P/B and low-P/E stocks, and any muppet can do their own screen on FinViz that would’ve taken weeks for Buffett to compile back in the sixties. This means that cheap stocks get spotted faster, and by the time you get to them, they’re not “cheap” any more. So the stuff that pops up on value screens is really only stuff that’s cheap for a reason (ahem, MU!) .

Also, value tends to underperform growth and momo factors when capital is cheap. So... I dunno. Intuitively, small-cap and value factors should work... but they’ve stopped working, and I don’t see them starting again any time soon.

Thanks for the thoughtful answers Shiny Things. I'm also finding it hard to believe that value will make a comeback soon. Value defenders say that long periods of value underperformance are to be expected, and has happened several times before. Once the value stocks awaken, the losses will be quickly reversed. And if value's explanation is risk-based, then the value premium will persist over time.

I haven't thought of the information asymmetry angle before. Personally I think the value premium is more behavior-based, and can (and is being) arbitraged away.

Also, I presume Uncle Wozza is Mr. Buffett? What do "momo" and 'MU" mean? I'm not familiar with those terms :) Thanks!
 

Hasagi

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2014
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Hi Shiny, just read your book. On the insurance part, you mentioned that one should get hospitalisation coverage and term life. You also mentioned that critical illness riders are not recommended.

I'm quite new to personal finance and insurance, and I am quite confused. People have always recommended getting at least a basic CI coverage, alongside their term life and hospitalisation coverage. If I do not get a CI coverage, what should I be doing in the event that I get hit with a CI? I understand that the hospitalisation policy will cover my treatment fees, but how can I handle the loss in income and the fees associated with potential longer-term care and rehabilitation?
 

5408854088

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
32,039
Reaction score
29
https://www.ft.com/content/c72c8b3e-c893-49f1-bdfa-7fce9c9e9189

What happens to our policies if Aviva gets bought over? I'm under a corporate Aviva medical insurance plan and the MINDEF group insurance plan.

Actually not the first time they release such news already, but until now it's still not sold. Anyway don't think anything will happen, new owner will take on the existing undertakings. Maybe when the contract is due for renewal, they will renegotiate the terms. If terms are not good, organisations can just switch to another insurer. There will be minimum disruption to existing policyholders (if any).
 

iceblendedchoc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Messages
23,277
Reaction score
10,026
Actually not the first time they release such news already, but until now it's still not sold. Anyway don't think anything will happen, new owner will take on the existing undertakings. Maybe when the contract is due for renewal, they will renegotiate the terms. If terms are not good, organisations can just switch to another insurer. There will be minimum disruption to existing policyholders (if any).

too expensive hard to sell off. Aviva's crown jewel is definitely:s13: not singapore.
 

zakariazainal

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
IWDA - First Purchase

Hi ST

Thanks for your book! It's a great resource. Quick question after my first trade with StanChart online trading.

When making the trade, I wanted to ask what is the difference between 'limit' vs 'market' for order type as indicated in this screenshot?

Also, I made an order for 7 unit of shares and paid around 10.70 USD as fees. Is that normal? Will that amount increase as I buy more shares?

My last question revolves around rebalancing. I was thinking, to limit the cost of fees, I will only buy IWDA on every May and Nov (save $300-$500 a month but only making purchases on May and Nov), same as the rebalancing advice you gave. Will that be ok?

Thanks so much!
 

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
9,605
Reaction score
854
Hi ST,

Currently I'm holding on to some LVGO shares. Since Teledoc is making a takeover offer and paying partial cash & Teledoc shares (1 lvgo = 0.592 tdoc), is the partial cash component subject to withholding tax? Even though its not dividends.

What about the partial shares if my broker dont allow partial shares transaction?

1) Not a dividend = no DWT.

2) For partial-share offers, there’s always a clause in the takeover docs that describes how partial-share holding should be dealt with; the most common way to deal with it is that you’ll get rounded down and receive cash equivalent to the fractional share amount.

Partial-share transactions have always been a thing, ever since before brokers figured out how to let people trade partial shares.

Thanks for your insights,

1. [...] can I say for certain that the financial crisis that rendered bonds useless/or lose money will never or VERY unlikely to occur at least in theory in the next few years ?

OK, for all of these questions I’m gonna speak very broadly, and generally focus on the US bond market (because, to be honest, that’s where the action is, and SGD bond markets will tend to follow the US). That out of the way... in the short end you’re basically right. Every central bank in the world is on the bid for short-dated bonds in various hilariously large amounts, in order to keep short-dated yields down.

In the longer end, not so much. Central banks aren’t as fixated on long-end rates, so you could potentially see a steepening in countries where the central bank’s not explicitly controlling the long end (that is, rates go up / prices drop in the long end, while the short end stays pegged at zero). That’s the US, maybe Europe, and Australia.

You’re sort of seeing this in Australian bonds right now. The RBA (who are not idiots, don’t fight the RBA) is explicitly engaging in yield curve control, keeping the cash rate and the 3-year bond yield below 0.25%. But because they’re not targeting the 10s, the longer-end yields bounce around a lot more (10-year ACGB yields blipped up to 1.1% a couple of months ago, which is nice carry if you can get it).

2. What are your opinions on approx 10 year duration Inflation linked bonds for diversification purposes ? My understanding of them have always been that they are sensitive to both nominal yields and inflation. i.e. it provides both deflationary and inflationary protection.

BUT the longer its duration such as one with Standard deviation of about 6-8% (10 year?), the more sensitive it is to nominal rates rather than inflation.

Uh, I think you’re getting snarled up in bond math? The standard deviation of the bond price doesn’t have much to do with its sensitivity to rates vs inflation...

Anyway, if you care about diversification, buy nominals (regular govvy bonds). If you care about inflation protection, buy linkers. (And pay attention to which country’s linkers you’re buying! You might care about exposure to Aussie or US inflation, but you won’t care about exposure to, I dunno, EU or Swedish inflation.)

I reckon you’ll find that linkers are surprisingly correlated to equities.

3. Why is it that inflation linked bonds perform much more terribly than quality bonds during a financial crisis ?

Two reasons:
1) Dumb market-structure reasons. When there’s a financial crisis, people want the simplest possible instrument, and that’s nominals, not linkers.
2) Sensible planning-for-the-future reasons. In a financial crisis, spending stops and inflation collapses, so inflation forecasts collapse, so inflation-linked bonds collapse.

4. Since assuming my assertions are right, that inflation linked bonds have dual benefits...

This is where I lost you. Is the argument you’re trying to make is that linkers will perform better than nominals (not a given, especially given that US breakevens are already back to where they were before the pandemic); that linkers provide a bigger diversification benefit (also not a given, US linkers got toasted in March); or something else?

I’ll go back to what I said earlier. If you want diversification and stability, buy nominals. If you want an inflation hedge, buy linkers. The two are not the same.

(Independently of anything else, for anyone else reading this post - this doesn’t matter to most of us on this thread. Swan has a very global portfolio, so they care about global inflation, and they have a very low risk tolerance. Most of us here have more middle-of-the-road risk tolerances; and there isn’t a Singaporean inflation-linked bond market anyway.)

5. Thinking of RMB sovereign bonds denominated in USD for diversification. What are good ETFs for such ?

Mate, not gonna lie, you’re going full Pokémon here. You don’t need to catch ‘em all. What on earth are you trying to diversify away from that Chinese bonds are the hedge?

Also, this isn’t entirely clear. Are you asking for Chinese sovereign bonds denominated in CNY (in which case CNYB LN exists), or Chinese sovereign bonds denominated in USD (in which case that basically doesn’t exist)?

6. Whether you see China govt bonds as being more Risk on like or Risk off like ?.....the idea is that I'm looking at other quality govt NOMINAL bonds other than the typical USD and Euro govt bonds.

I get you, but I don’t think that’s going to work; the USDCNY FX risk is uuuuusually a RORO type of thing. If you want a negatively-correlated asset, just buy nominal govvies in whichever currency you need the money.

I mean, there are more esoteric things you could try (JPY and CHF govvies? Just straight-up buying SPY puts, since it seems like you’re really looking for a crash hedge?). But really, you’re going way too deep here; it seems like you’re trying to hedge every possible bad outcome, and that gets expensive, fast. If you’re just trying to save for a retirement split between Australia and Singapore (stop me if I’ve got that wrong), and you have a near-zero risk appetite... ACGBs are great! The Aussie government is a great credit. Just buy ACGBs.

I haven't thought of the information asymmetry angle before. Personally I think the value premium is more behavior-based, and can (and is being) arbitraged away.

Yeah, that’s a valid way of looking at the value factor; I think it gets you to the same point though. Value being arbitraged away happens regardless of the cause.

Also, I presume Uncle Wozza is Mr. Buffett? What do "momo" and 'MU" mean? I'm not familiar with those terms :) Thanks!

Oh yeah, bring on the colloquialisms.

“Momo” = “momentum factor”. “Stocks that go up tend to keep going up, until acted on by an external force.” It’s basically Newton’s First Law but for financial markets. It’s definitely a thing, and it’s performed pretty well lately. Value has died and growth and momo factors have taken over (ahem, TSLA, ahem).

MU is Micron Technologies, the most notorious value-trap stock in the world. Back in the late 2010s, “do they own MU?” Was the easiest way to distinguish whether a value-stock manager knew what they were doing or were just blindly screening for low P/E or low P/BV stocks. MU looked GREAT on a naive stock screen at the time - it traded at a single-digit PE, and it’s a tech company! - so people would buy it thinking they’d found the newest hidden value stock.

But Micron had its own problems. Specifically, they made DRAM chips, which is an incredibly volatile market, but they weren’t big enough to be a price-setter in that market, so their revenue was also horrifically volatile. That “E” in the P/E ratio would swing by hundreds of percent plus or minus from year to year, which is why the P/E was so low - the company’s not worth much if the price of its main product can suddenly collapse and send the company under.

So MU’s sort of become shorthand for value-traps - stocks that look great on a value-stock screen, but are broken for more fundamental reasons.

If I do not get a CI coverage, what should I be doing in the event that I get hit with a CI? I understand that the hospitalisation policy will cover my treatment fees, but how can I handle the loss in income and the fees associated with potential longer-term care and rehabilitation?

Sure—that’s what your emergency fund is for. You save up an emergency fund so that you don’t have to pay for expensive critical-illness riders.

If you’re the only breadwinner in a household, it might make sense to have a disability income replacement policy, so that if you can’t work, your family has an extra layer of protection over and above the emergency fund. But disability income insurance is not the same as critical-illness insurance.
 
Last edited:

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
9,605
Reaction score
854
Hi ST

Thanks for your book! It's a great resource. Quick question after my first trade with StanChart online trading.

When making the trade, I wanted to ask what is the difference between 'limit' vs 'market' for order type as indicated in this screenshot?

OP pinged me the screenshot. For anyone who’s wondering:
1) A “limit” buy order is “buy me this number of shares, at no more than this price”. If “this price” (the “limit price”) is above where the current best offer is, you’ll get filled immediately.
2) A “Market” buy order is “buy me this number of shares AT ANY PRICE, I MUST HAVE THEM NOW, MY PRECIOUSESES”. This is generally not what you meant to do.

Don’t use market orders. Always use limit orders.

Also, I made an order for 7 unit of shares and paid around 10.70 USD as fees. Is that normal? Will that amount increase as I buy more shares?

Stanchart’s fees are on their website.

My last question revolves around rebalancing. I was thinking, to limit the cost of fees, I will only buy IWDA on every May and Nov (save $300-$500 a month but only making purchases on May and Nov), same as the rebalancing advice you gave. Will that be ok?

So don’t forget, you only want to buy one counter each month, and rotate between which counter you buy. That’s the right way to minimize fees while still investing regularly, so you don’t miss out on any little dips that might happen. That means you’ll end up buying IWDA every couple of months, assuming you’re in your 20s or 30s.
 
Joined
Apr 19, 2018
Messages
491
Reaction score
43
Thanks. Currently she's going 60-20-20 IWDA-STI-MBH if I'm not wrong.
Becuase shiny things book is not written for her situation so I don't think she should follow the formula.

Hopefully more people can give advice and opinions on this. Thanks again!

Hi ST, do you have any advice on this? Just hoping to get more views and opinions, hope you won't mind!
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,614
Reaction score
5,598
1) Not a dividend = no DWT.
That’s true, but non-U.S. persons are reporting that they’re subject to withholding on all (or virtually all) distributions, which is the way the rules are written (when I dug into this recently based on someone else’s question). So you (as a resident of Singapore) should expect 30% withholding on the gross distribution, then you can reclaim any excess withholding via an IRS Form 1040NR filing next year if part or all of the distribution is not taxable. “Withhold first, ask questions later,” basically.

Don’t like that? No problem: don’t buy U.S. listed securities, especially those that might be subject to corporate actions such as mergers, acquisitions, and private equity buyouts.

There are even some cases when the broker or other financial institution withholds and never should have. I (a U.S. person) was subject to withholding on a particular small distribution a few years ago because the broker evidently saw “Singapore” and didn’t bother asking for an IRS Form W-9. OK, no (serious) problem. I file a U.S. tax return every year, and the overwithholding hit the tax form as tax previously paid. It was only a little annoying, but financial institutions face huge risks if they don’t withhold, so they’re highly motivated to withhold. And there’s nothing you can do with the financial institution to recover that money (if it’s fully or partially recoverable) since the FI cannot claw it back. All recoveries have to be with the IRS.

Relatedly, some people have asked what happens if you ignore your financial institution’s requests to file a truthful IRS Form W-8BEN (or W-9) with them, and to do that again whenever your status changes or every 3 years, whichever comes first. And the answer is there’s a possible fate worse than 30% withholding: withholding at the top marginal U.S. income tax rate, currently 40.8%. The FI’s risk department would be within its rights to decide you could be a U.S. person subject to mandatory withholding, and it could go that high.
 
Last edited:

dullthings

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2019
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
ST/Swan02, I read the discussion between the two of you on bonds but don’t really understand. What exactly do these mean for MBH and A35 (prices and yields) over the next 1-3 years, and over 10 years?
 

Krish_v77

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
SRS investment options

Hi ST, BBCWatcher, others, this is a wonderful thread and learnt a fair bit. Am particularly interested to know about potential SRS investment options. Lion global seems to have a sub-fund in tie up with Vanguard that tracks VT ETF. It’s called Infinity Global Stock index fund. When we buy through OCBC Unit trusts online, the fee is .352% and they seem to have a ongoing fee of .82%. It’s an SGD class fund instituted in Singapore, so no estate tax issues.

I also saw an article by investmentMoats about this product. FSM seems to have this fund as well.

Given the lack of attractive options for investing SRS outside of ES3/MBH, is this a reasonable choice inspite of the higher fees. In the Long run, as SRS is locked until age 62, can we not expect it to fair better over ES3 or MBH inspite of the cost. Any views?
 
Last edited:

swan02

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
14
Best if U quote. Lots been said between us regarding MBH and A35. And things can be obsolete by now.

Anyways when in doubt, I suggest u take ST simple approach. I love to test the waters as I’m still learning.

ST/Swan02, I read the discussion between the two of you on bonds but don’t really understand. What exactly do these mean for MBH and A35 (prices and yields) over the next 1-3 years, and over 10 years?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top