Official Shiny Things thread—Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

chekseng80

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
654
Reaction score
17
very interesting, can u convert the joint into individual later on?

need do more paperwork?

I think ppl who really want the SIPC protection can get it this way
So if current IBKUS account is a joint-account than not yet able to transfer to IBKRSG?
 

cre8ate

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2018
Messages
36
Reaction score
1
So if current IBKUS account is a joint-account than not yet able to transfer to IBKRSG?

That's correct. Can't transfer to IBKRSG as IBKRSG doesn't have joint account yet.

I might have missed out the previous discussion but what's the main reason why people want to go to IBKRSG (other than being able to trade on SGX)?
 

cre8ate

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2018
Messages
36
Reaction score
1
very interesting, can u convert the joint into individual later on?

need do more paperwork?

I think ppl who really want the SIPC protection can get it this way

Not sure if can convert joint into individual later on but i would imagine it would be quite a hassle.
 

hin999

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
Annualised Returns

hi guys, I have been following ST strategy for the past 6 years, starting in 2014. If assuming my current portfolio is valued at 280K and the capital I put in so far is 257K, how much is the annualised returns?
I used an online calculator and it came up to 1.5%, is this correct? Seems abit low?
 

hwckhs

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
1,351
hi guys, I have been following ST strategy for the past 6 years, starting in 2014. If assuming my current portfolio is valued at 280K and the capital I put in so far is 257K, how much is the annualised returns?
I used an online calculator and it came up to 1.5%, is this correct? Seems abit low?

The calculator assumes an one-off 257k investment in 2014. Question is, did you invest 257k in a lump sum in 2014, or over a period of time via DCA? If the latter, you need a different tool. The quoted return is under-stated.

Furthermore, you should include dividends, ie. consider total return and not just price return.

I use Investing.com portfolio tool (free), which shows market-value vs cost, and profit and loss over the investment period. However, it does not calculate an annualized return. Maybe someone else can advise.
 

hhnnhh

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2018
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
You’ve to trigger the process under account settings -> account transfer. The process is then automated.

I have ib account as well. When connect it brings me .au version of the website. Is it recommended to convert to sg account? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
 

cassowary18

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2018
Messages
1,822
Reaction score
203
I have ib account as well. When connect it brings me .au version of the website. Is it recommended to convert to sg account? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Advantage is now you can trade SGX stocks. Disadvantage is that you lose SIPC protection.
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,110
Reaction score
4,081
Advantage is now you can trade SGX stocks. Disadvantage is that you lose SIPC protection.

I think the SIPC insurance is useful, if you got a few hundred K in IBKR, SIPC coverage helps you sleep better at night

good to hear that you can still sign up for IBKR US by selecting the joint account option :s13:

does that mean you can have a IBKR US joint account and a IBKR SG individual account?
 

hwckhs

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
1,351
Since we talk about SPIC so much, it makes me wonder if we can get a (cheap) private insurance, or use a different strategy, to cover against brokers going bankrupt?

For rich people, say Vanguard's founder, John C. Bogle, or Bill Gates, or the UHNWI/HNWI's we see in this thread, the SPIC US$ 250k protection is not going to make them sleep well at night. What insures their large holdings?
 
Last edited:

newjersey

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
856
Reaction score
119
Since we talk about SPIC so much, it makes me wonder if we can get a (cheap) private insurance, or use a different strategy, to cover against brokers going bankrupt?

For rich people, say Vanguard's founder, John C. Bogle, or Bill Gates, or the UHNWI/HNWI's we see in this thread, the SPIC US$ 250k protection is not going to make them sleep well at night. What insures their large holdings?
beyond us$250k at IB USA, your money is still insured.
the only difference is that it's by reinsurance spread between different banks, which is quite a standard thing to do in general insurance above a certain premium.
 

hin999

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
The calculator assumes an one-off 257k investment in 2014. Question is, did you invest 257k in a lump sum in 2014, or over a period of time via DCA? If the latter, you need a different tool. The quoted return is under-stated.

Furthermore, you should include dividends, ie. consider total return and not just price return.

I use Investing.com portfolio tool (free), which shows market-value vs cost, and profit and loss over the investment period. However, it does not calculate an annualized return. Maybe someone else can advise.

Yes, I dca the 257k in over 6years,and I have excluded the dividends from this capital given that I roll the dividends back into the investments also
 

hwckhs

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
1,351
Yes, I dca the 257k in over 6years,and I have excluded the dividends from this capital given that I roll the dividends back into the investments also

Many people who do DCA, myself included, like to think that they are reinvesting dividends when most likely they do not.

For example, if you are investing $1,000 each month, and you get $50 in dividends. Unless you consciously add the $50 to the next month's investment, you are not reinvesting.

This point becomes important when you try to figure out your investment return, ie. total return. If you use a simple tool that asks you to input your monthly DCA amount, if you entered $1,000 then you did not include dividends return. So, you need a fairly complex tool that includes dividends, or you may have to do it the difficult way in Excel provided you know how to calculate (I do not).

Anyway, people have been mentioning about StocksCafe. I just had a look at the sample report, and it may have what you are looking for. I am also interested, so I may give it a try. The basic plan is free, so we can try that first.
 

hin999

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
Many people who do DCA, myself included, like to think that they are reinvesting dividends when most likely they do not.

For example, if you are investing $1,000 each month, and you get $50 in dividends. Unless you consciously add the $50 to the next month's investment, you are not reinvesting.

This point becomes important when you try to figure out your investment return, ie. total return. If you use a simple tool that asks you to input your monthly DCA amount, if you entered $1,000 then you did not include dividends return. So, you need a fairly complex tool that includes dividends, or you may have to do it the difficult way in Excel provided you know how to calculate (I do not).

Anyway, people have been mentioning about StocksCafe. I just had a look at the sample report, and it may have what you are looking for. I am also interested, so I may give it a try. The basic plan is free, so we can try that first.
After some digging I came across this
https://www.firepathlion.com/sharing-my-portfolio-tracking-spreadsheet/
May help us in our quest to find out our investment returns
 

livingcharsiew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2019
Messages
15,477
Reaction score
36
https://www.wsj.com/articles/california-rolls-out-diversity-quotas-for-corporate-boards-11601507471

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed legislation Wednesday that will require the boards of publicly traded companies based in the state to have at least one racially, ethnically or otherwise diverse director by 2021.

The new quota is the first of its kind in the U.S. and follows a similar California measure enacted two years ago that mandated female directors on all boards of the state’s public companies. The law is expected to have wide-ranging impact within the state’s borders and beyond, potentially sparking fresh debate...
 

zoneguard

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
398
After some digging I came across this
https://www.firepathlion.com/sharing-my-portfolio-tracking-spreadsheet/
May help us in our quest to find out our investment returns

You can try Sharesight, it breaks down annualized returns by capital gains, dividends, currency and is quite useful even in the free tier (up to 10 stocks). Corporate Actions (dividends) are automatically added. I've also used custom groups to break down by my asset allocation.

You can specify the exchange rate for foreign counters in Sharesight which is one feature StocksCafe doesn't yet support and this is useful to compute the returns due to forex.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top