Official Shiny Things thread—Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

swan02

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
14
Yes I'm limited by 22 years.

But it is good enough for me. Like you said, past is not indicative of future, but far enough to make a judgement call that unlikely any sectors or asset class will remain lousy for more than 10 years.

Hence I'm looking at EM, cyclicals and maybe Australia, and base on that logic, should outperform in the next 2 years (these asset classes however have terrible risk adjusted returns). But these are already embedded in the world portfolio.

1. These 22 years still at least covers the peak and crash of both major markets in EM and SPY.

2. It also covers the rise and fall of gold as well and about any other asset class inclusive of 2 major crashes.

3. At least I can see two cycles of many of the asset classes and sectors and how they interact with each other. These even includes how foreign currencies impact on your portfolio.

4. So I can quite clearly see, something like VWRD is very special. Although, some sectors like Tech are too overweight, At least, you able to balance them with sectoral purchases.

5. Yes ideally, taxes, expenses should be factored, but I did the exercise simply to see how they interacted, to convince myself whether a world portfolio is ideal, at what proportions, what sectors have high risk adjusted returns (defensive sectors and why), and how I can blend them to ensure I would not face a lost decade like USA or EM or STI did, while also factoring currencies, and whether it meets my risk appetite when I finally reach an asset allocation devoid of any bonds/cash.

6. Dividend reinvestment is however, factored since lazy portfolio numbers reinvests them..

7. Also if you rebalance once, and purchases once a year, you are technically DCA once yearly. I believe once a year DCA, and rebalancing has many benefits. With one of them, reduce likelihood of fiddling with the AA, also keeps you sane and increases the odds of making money as portfolios tend to do better over time.

8. Also 1999, although takes into account the huge gains for both EM and SPY. After that it takes into account the horrible years after too. In fact, the SPY 22 year CAGR is terrible like 6.44% percent which is contrary to what you are suggesting. Naturally it is all in USD, might look way different once FX taken into account into SGD.


OK, but that’s not a good reason to report only one arbitrary interval. Decent U.S. stock market data goes back about 150 years, and gold price data goes back even farther. (No, the S&P 500 index doesn’t go back to 1870, but decent proxies do.) It just so happens that 1999 was about the top of one of history’s greatest U.S. bull market runs in stocks, a gold price multi-year low, and a relatively challenging time for emerging market stocks (primarily Asian Financial Crisis effects). Which happened, of course, but it’s an arbitrary selection. For those familiar with this history it’s damn impressive that the S&P 500 looks so good even when you happen to pick a historically big bull market top as your baseline.

The typical way to look at historical performance is to report standard, round intervals (plural), not just one interval where you happen to get one data cutoff. So in this case you’d report 1, 3, 5, 10, and 20 year intervals if that’s as far back as you can go. (Maybe toss in 15 if you want.) But for at least some of these you can go back farther, even much farther. Then you have the challenging problem of factoring in fund expenses, taxes, dividend reinvestment, and (ideally) dollar cost averaging effects.

Of course past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.
 
Last edited:

swan02

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
14
We are viewing gold differently. I do not judge an asset class individually by its own merits or/and returns, but how it contributes to a portfolio holistically, and most importantly whether it leads to improved risk adjusted returns. In other words, correlation, reliability and whether it has significant beta.

So gold and long term bonds serve these purpose at least historically.

Within the equity space, other asset classes like EM, AUD etc do that too in diversifying, but gold also does that but more since it MAY assist your weak beta bonds (if its of short duration) during scary times/crashes which equity like diversifiers aka AUD, EM, corp bonds do not.

I've played around with portfoliovisualiser using all sorts of combinations. But to me

the most important are how assets react during scary terrible times.

Tech crash, financial crash, covid crash. I fear big losses than small gains.

Hence, the research into defensive sectors "consumer staples; healthcare; utilities".

In my eyes............

1. It is easier emotionally (based historically before covid) to be in 40 percent equities (USA only), 20 percent gold, 20 percent TLT, 20 percent USD than, 40 percent equities (USA only), 60 percent corp bonds USA.

naturally, if I were to hold VWRD, less gold is needed. If I were to hold 50 percent VWRD, 50 percent STI in my equity component, I will hold max 10 percent gold or nil.

2. I'm obviously certain, the all wealther will outperform in a scary crash.

Which obviously is important to me. And also somewhat confident (guessing), it will outshine the equity/corp bond portfolio in normal times over long periods due to rebalancing gain with lower volatility as well...later I'll go check whether this assertion holds true....Update: The All weather Wins. Beats by 0.67% return, and 1.23% lower risk. Which isn't surprising given the benefits of diversification and rebalancing.

3. And I just tested the 70/30. equity/gold (a person argued this is the portfolio going forward replacing bonds). vs equity/corp bonds.

Results:
70/30 (equity/gold). Returns: 10.44%, Std: 11.78%. Sharpe: 0.80
70/30 (equity/corp Bonds). Returns: 9.04%, Std: 11.06%, Sharpe: 0.73

So the gold portfolio wins.

4. But what's more important is not even being invested due to fear. So although you may say corporate bonds and equity will outperform the All weather (I personally do not think so, when rebalancing is factored), what's matter more is what portfolio encourages investment.

5. That's what I'm focusing on right now. Strategies that encourages investing. Maybe I'll write in a blog some day when I'm done. Cuz I'm the number one scary cat.

Following up on my earlier post, what you’ll find if you look across the century plus of available data is that corporate bonds and gold had similar yields over the long-term, but gold was much more volatile than bonds.(*) Stocks easily, utterly trounced both. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results, however. Nonetheless, I don’t think much of gold because I don’t like the combination of bond-like historic returns with stock-like volatility. That’s an undesirable combination, and if the future is like the past I’ll skip it. Moreover, if/when inflation is a concern, there are better choices available, notably real return/inflation indexed sovereign bonds, a late 20th century innovation.

(*) After the full decoupling of fiat currencies from gold, which is the current situation (for about a half century) and extremely unlikely to revert.
 
Last edited:

swan02

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
14
Gradually been buying. Still far from Targeted equity allocation. 35/65 aim by mid 2021.

1. Equity allocation finalized. Aim 40 percent iwda, 25 percent sxlp, 25 percent sxlv, 10 percent eimi.

2. Fixed income: 2 years worth living exp in sgd. MBH matches in amount to equity. Remaining in USD.

Exactly what’s happening in your situation now right ? .....
 

SoshiPrince

Member
Joined
May 25, 2010
Messages
341
Reaction score
0
Hello investors,

I understand that the general consensus and popular picks in this thread for long term ETFs are IWDA and EIMI.

What would you recommend an investor who have a higher risk profile with a longer time horizon (late 20s) and wish to accumulate wealth more aggressively, within a shorter time frame?
I would assume concentration will be favoured over diversification (hotly debated train of thoughts). I'm fully aware of the risks.

With that said, will individual stock picking be better or a single aggressive ETF ( for example concentrating only on the Tech/Growth stocks sector)?

Jumping in on the opportunity with the recent dip in NASDAQ, what are the tech ETFs that are still recommend in this thread? Is CNDX.L or QQQ still the preferred choice?
IUIT doesn't seem to have much appreciation. Would appreciate some recommendations for Ireland-domiciled. Thank you.
 

swan02

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
14
I would go for 100 percent equities.
Lump sum. NOT dca.

60 percent QQQ n some CQQQ
25 percent global consumer staples
15 percent global healthcare

Rebalance strictly !!. Time frame 25 years.

Want more risk... then leverage...

can’t get any scarier than this !!



Hello investors,

I understand that the general consensus and popular picks in this thread for long term ETFs are IWDA and EIMI.

What would you recommend an investor who have a higher risk profile with a longer time horizon (late 20s) and wish to accumulate wealth more aggressively, within a shorter time frame?
Thank you.
 

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
9,605
Reaction score
854
How about that election, huh? If anyone wants any color commentary on the election, hit me up, but be prepared for it to be snarky.

Let’s start with some election-related questions:

Let’s talk rebalancing:

Shiny Things advice is to rebalance in May and November, but should I put off my rebalancing until December or January in view of potential volatility from the US elections?

On the contrary: you should rebalance during volatile periods. When things are moving around a lot, you’re more likely to capture a low or a high in the markets.

can i ask why did he choose may and november?

is it cuz prices are usually low? what's the reasoning behind these 2 months?

Great question. I picked November first, because there’s a very slight seasonal effect in some equity markets (notably the USA) where they tend to perform fractionally better from November to April than they do from May to October. It’s not really big enough to be actively tradable, and not reliable enough to be tradable at all, but if you’re going to be rebalancing anyway you might as well take advantage of it.

And then May is just because it’s six months apart from November.

What would you recommend an investor who have a higher risk profile with a longer time horizon (late 20s) and wish to accumulate wealth more aggressively, within a shorter time frame?
I would assume concentration will be favoured over diversification (hotly debated train of thoughts). I'm fully aware of the risks.

With that said, will individual stock picking be better or a single aggressive ETF ( for example concentrating only on the Tech/Growth stocks sector)?

Ooooof. OK, I’ll be honest, this is not a good idea, and I would encourage you not to do this. “Accumulating wealth more aggressively, within a shorter time frame”, inherently means you have a higher risk of losing money as well. Are you OK with that?

articles online r saying how it might be a lost decade for us stocks; stocks may not rise every year, such as after great depression or japan lost decades

Look, nobody says stocks are going to rise every year. But also, fearmongers have been writing the “oh it’s going to be a lost decade, hide out in gold or cash or paintings or whatever” article literally since 2009, and they’ve been wrong every single freakin’ time.

They write those articles because they get clicks. You can ignore them.

I thought spreads would only impact my P&L and not affect the share price we see on the exchange? I am trying to understand the impact of the TER on the NAV.

I get you, but I’m not sure why you’re digging into the NAV so deeply. The thing that matters is how much money ends up in your account, so spreads matter.

Two related questions:

Hello,

May I know what is the latest recommended international bond etf?

I have seen a few options pop up; CORP LN, LQDA. What about VAGU by vanguard? Any thoughts?

As our stock portfolio comprises local and global stocks denominated in local and foreign currency (US$), would it make sense to have a bond portfolio comprising safe bonds denominated in US$ as well?

The first question is why you’re looking at overseas bonds in the first place. Do you really want to take all the extra FX risk inherent in owning bonds, for basically zero extra yield? It’s not a great trade.

If you’re really insistent on owning overseas bonds, and you have a good reason for it (e.g. you’re going to retire in another country), then it makes sense to own bonds denominated in the currency of the country where you might retire. That might be USD if you like some purple mountain majesties and epic road trips; AUD if you like not getting the ‘rona and don’t mind deadly animals; NZD if you like not getting the ‘rona but don’t like deadly animals; or GBP if you hate yourself.

The upshot is that there’s no clear answer to “which international bond ETF should I buy?”; this one depends on individuals’ needs.

Wow.. Well done

Why not just come back and work on something that would make you happy?

Swan02, I was reading your back-and-forth about early retirement, and if I’m being honest, I got a similar vibe to highsulphur’s comment.

Unless you’ve committed yourself to being the one who raises the kids full-time (which, if you have, you can skip the rest of this paragraph, because raising kids is a full-time job!), I’d really recommend finding yourself a job. It doesn’t have to be a huge commitment, either! I have friends and colleagues who’ve pulled the ripcord from high-stress tech or finance jobs; they’ve ended up as yoga teachers, real estate agents, wine sellers, bookkeepers for their local school...

The key thing is that the job gives them two things:
A) Money coming in the door to keep the house’s finances ticking over without having to worry about their portfolio; and,
B) A sense of purpose; social interaction; a community; all of those things you get from a job over and above just pocketing the paycheck.

It doesn’t need to be a full-time high-stress commitment. (If you do find yourself looking for high-stress jobs, it might be time to have a chat to a therapist.) But even just a part-time job on a low-but-decent wage will still measurably improve your quality of life, even if you’re already independently wealthy.

Two more related questions:

So the plan is to invest my 25k to fund my HDB in 5-7 years.
@swan02 suggested to 20/80 AA. 20% VWRD, 80% MBH. Is there any reason to go into VWRD instead of IWDA and why MBH as well.

What’s your opinion on IWDA+EIMI? What could be the AA between the two?

VWRD vs IWDA is a personal-preference thing. I’ve always recommended IWDA, but VWRD is perfectly good too. For Tchen, if you actually want IWDA+EIMI, you can get the same exposure from VWRA and only pay one set of transaction costs instead of two.

MBH is a very good ETF that owns SGD-denominated corporate bonds from large, stable issuers. It gives you higher yields than SGD government bonds, and it’s more stable than owning stocks.

Another thing is how much potential returns will i be able to get after 5-7 years? How do i calculate it?

You can’t guarantee, but you can spitball it. Don’t forget, these numbers are just averages, so I’m going to include a standard-deviation measure - a measure of the fuzziness around the numbers.

(Whoooop, give me a sec, I’m going to have to come back to this one. I’m on my iPad, and running Eikon for market data at the same time as writing this mega post is crashing my browser.)

The MaybankKimEng MIP recommendation in the ST's guidebook seem to be a similar setup to the RSP, which auto deducts the acc every mth. I can only do 300 a mth so theoretically i can only buy different ETFs every mth.

Annoyingly enough, MBKE cancelled their excellent MIP plan about two months after the third edition of the book hit the streets. (I like to think I gave them so much new business that their systems collapsed under the load, but then again I also like to think that I have six-pack abs.)

Question 1: what is the difference between TER and expense ratio? Am cost aware and do want to get the lowest cost as possible.

Uh, there’s probably some technical difference, but they’re basically the same. I use “expense ratio” interchangeably with TER.

Question 2: even though am a ride-through-market investor, do you think if this is the time to purchase IWDA or Sp500 given the current bubble?

Yes I do think it’s a good time (though I don’t think you want to buy the SPX by itself; buy a global-stocks ETF instead, so you get exposure to other markets. Europe, Japan, Canada and Australia have plenty of interesting stocks that you’ll want to own.)

Question 3: is there any other index funds/ETF you can recommend with exposure to US/World?

Not really. The reason I dig so deeply into “OK, why IWDA, what are the benefits and drawbacks compared to other ETFs, what makes a good ETF” is so that I can confidently say “yes, IWDA is a solid recommendation, it will be the right pick for the vast majority of readers”.

Question 4: what do you think of factor investing (small value)? Besides Endowus, any product recommend to get such exposure with Low fees?

The size effect and the value effect haven’t worked for decades, and I flat-out think they won’t work any more. I banged on about this upthread somewhere, but in short: the value effect worked when it was harder to get information about companies, so it was easier to find companies that were “cheap” because they were under-analysed. Now every mug with a web browser can run a Finviz stock screen and find a zillion companies that pass a cheapness screen, any stock that still looks cheap is probably cheap for a reason.

That’s not to say that all factors are dead. I’ve had friendly arguments over beers with mates in the market about the performance of momentum and quality factors, and low-vol has periods of popularity. But honestly, for most people, it’s not worth the effort of trying to understand factors and model them to the point where you can make an educated decision about which factor tilt your portfolio needs. Just buy the index!

On a related note:

OK but why do the asset allocation according to market-cap weights?

What is the evidence (or otherwise) that market-cap weighting provides the optimal rate of return for the investment portfolio?

This is an interesting question, but it’s also the wrong one to ask.

The debate between “equal weight is better!” and “cap weighting is better!” (and the occasional weirdo saying “no, this third weighting scheme is better!”) basically reduces to “do you think the size effect is real?”.

If the size effect is real, then equal-weighting will outperform cap-weighting; if the size effect doesn’t work, then cap-weighting will outperform equal-weighting. (I’m handwaving away a LOT of things here, I know.)

But also, it’s not really a relevant question, because there’s no good way for retail investors to buy an equal-weighted MSCI World or Straits Times portfolio. (There are equal-weighted S&P 500 ETFs, but that’s placing an awful lot of faith in the US equity market.) Cap-weighted funds are what we have, and they work well enough.

if want more exposure in US for higher gains,

...you’re confusing past performance with future performance. The US equity market has done well in the past, but that doesn’t mean it’ll continue to outperform. Markets can’t outperform forever and ever amen, in fact; eventually valuations get so stretched that they snap back to normal.

Have you heard about Vanguard planning to close its ETF business in Hong Kong? I had intended to include either their China (3169) or Asia ex Japan index ETFs (2805) to my DM portfolio. This has thrown a spanner in the works.

Can you advise how I should proceed if I still want some exposure to China market? I’m not keen on EM ETFs though.

Uh. You want China, but you don’t want EM ETFs? I hate to break it to you, but China is an EM...

Anyway. Do you want mainland-China only, or do you want China + HK + Taiwan?

For IB accounts, does net liquidation value include trades done but not settled yet?

Yeah, it does.

Two related questions about financial planning:

What do you expect the financial planner to be able to do for you that you can't do yourself? :s13:

It’s just what financial planning is at least that’s how I see it. Which is based on
[...]
I would pay for a good financial planner than one who claims he can beat the market or one who runs a hedge fund even if that person is Ray Dalio.. no thanks.

My philosophy about financial planners is pretty much this. You don’t hire a financial planner or an advisor because you think they can beat the market—if you do, you’re going to be sorely disappointed, because most of them can’t. You hire an advisor to hold your hand and stop you from making dumb mistakes with your money; if an advisor can stop you from, say, going to cash in the depths of the March plunge and missing the recovery, then they’re worth their weight in gold.

Now, to the thread about hedging. Look, in the markets we used to say “you want a hedge, go hang out in a garden”.

What are some good ways to hedge a USD stock portfolio against USD devaluation?

You don’t.

If you have a USD devaluation, that’ll generally be GOOD for your USD stock portfolio. A lot of US-listed stocks (especially the large-caps) have substantial revenue in foreign currencies, so a weaker USD will be good for the stock price, and it’ll effectively be self-hedging.

More broadly, though: if a currency depreciates, the stocks denominated in that currency will tend to go up. (Think of it like this: The assets of the company are still the same. But the currency those assets are denominated in is weaker. So the shares of the company will be worth more units of that weaker currency.)

I guess in a perfect world we will be hedging. But it does make managing the investment portfolio more complicated and instead of passive investing, it’s more like active passive investing.

Nah. For regular investors, hedging your FX risk is completely unnecessary. It just runs up costs—and really, it becomes an excuse for punting FX and calling it “hedging”.

And the larger portfolio you have, the more closely you should watch it grow (instead of just investing into passive index ETFs) because nobody has more interest in growing your own portfolio than you yourself.

This is actually not true, and if anything it’s the opposite of what’s happening at the biggest real-money investors. My absolute favorite example is NVPERS, the Nevada Public Employee Retirement System, which manages somewhere around thirty billion dollars... and it’s all run by one dude, who sticks it entirely in indexes.

The gargantuan CALPERS fund next door in California—which runs north of three hundred billion dollars—did the same thing at the start of this year: they pulled nearly all of their equity investments away from active managers and moved them to passive index-tracking strategies. (They do still have some allocation to private-equity and other more esoteric asset classes, but after the scandal around their recently-departed CIO, I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut their private-equity business substantially as well.)

So, Chris, look, I understand you have a very high opinion of your own trading ability, but extending your experience to other professional investors much larger than you just makes you look silly.

And if you can grow your large portfolio faster, why need to work for people? :s13:

This is a facetious point, but I’m going to give it a more sensible answer than it deserves: because running other people’s money gives you a larger base for your compensation.

For example, Chris, if you were actually as good a trader as you claim you are, you’d make a lot more money as a PM at a hedge fund than you would running your own portfolio. You’d be earning 1.5-and-15 (it’s not 2-and-20 any more) on a much larger pool of assets.
 
Last edited:

jacky817

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, chanced upon Singlife recently and seems like a good place to park 10k worth of your emergency savings in it? VS the falling interest rates dbs multiplier and the likes give.

It seems to have all the criterion a good savings acc needs:
- High liquidity
- Decent interest (unguaranteed)
- Protected by SDIC for up to 100k

Any risk or down sides that I'm missing? Would you recommend?

Cheers!:)
 

newjersey

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
856
Reaction score
119
hi ST,


1. can u explain what u wrote?

"For example, Chris, if you were actually as good a trader as you claim you are, you’d make a lot more money as a PM at a hedge fund than you would running your own portfolio. You’d be earning 1.5-and-15 (it’s not 2-and-20 any more) on a much larger pool of assets."

do you mean a salary of 1.5m to 15m in dollars a year???


2. do you trade in stocks options for income?

do you think it's a wise thing to do?

professionally, do hedge funds trade ( sell call / put options ) for income?

I am curious about selling call options and selling put options for some stocks.

On IB, what are the financial market data that you would recommend one to subscribe to if trading options?

1. OPRA (US Options Exchanges), is this alone sufficient?

2. do u subscribe to any Level 2 (deep book) data?

2.1. NASDAQ Options Market, should I subscribe to this?
It provides aggregate order book and last sale from the NASDAQ Options market in an easy-to-display format. L2 only. Need OPRA (US Options Exchange) for L1.

2.2. or should I subscribe to this two, where the stock I trade my options is on?

NYSE AMEX Options
Depth of market data for options listed on the AMEX exchange. L2 only. Need OPRA (US Options Exchange) for L1.

NYSE Arca Options
Provides depth of book data for Arca options. L2 only. Need OPRA (US Options Exchange) for L1.

plus, what is the diff between depth of market and depth of book data, pls?
 

polyglob

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
139
hi ST,
"For example, Chris, if you were actually as good a trader as you claim you are, you’d make a lot more money as a PM at a hedge fund than you would running your own portfolio. You’d be earning 1.5-and-15 (it’s not 2-and-20 any more) on a much larger pool of assets."

2 and 20 means hedge fund charges 2% management fee, and on top of that another 20% performance fee from the profits. when they lose money they "only" charge the 2%
 
Joined
Sep 9, 2020
Messages
480
Reaction score
290
hi ST,


1. can u explain what u wrote?

"For example, Chris, if you were actually as good a trader as you claim you are, you’d make a lot more money as a PM at a hedge fund than you would running your own portfolio. You’d be earning 1.5-and-15 (it’s not 2-and-20 any more) on a much larger pool of assets."

do you mean a salary of 1.5m to 15m in dollars a year???


2. do you trade in stocks options for income?

do you think it's a wise thing to do?

professionally, do hedge funds trade ( sell call / put options ) for income?

I am curious about selling call options and selling put options for some stocks.

2. do u subscribe to any Level 2 (deep book) data?

plus, what is the diff between depth of market and depth of book data, pls?

Let me try my hand at this. I used to trade for an insti, ran a 2 billion USD dollar book at peak. Moved on to a HF.

2% management fee + 20% performance fee on AUM was the old model. I think the new model is 1.5% + 15%. If you are good, you can charge as high as x% + 40%.

Trading is a tough game. 90% attrition rate. So if you haven't done anything to prove that you are top 10% than you are probably not gonna make it. Being top 10% illegal bookie in SG always counts as 'ahead of the curve'.

HFs are absolute return funds. Do anything as long as it can make money.

Sell call Sell put. You will die if there is no volatility. There are pros in SG doing this.

L2 is sufficient for most. L3 for market makers.

DOMarket and DOBook is the same thing. We call it the 'ladder'.


I like this guy. He uses only 2 monitors. :)

Btw, hwckhs is a HNW individual IRL. Takes one to know one ;)
 
Last edited:

newjersey

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
856
Reaction score
119
Btw, hwckhs is a HNW individual IRL. Takes one to know one ;)

overall, would you think that options trading is an overall losing strategy?

including selling call options for bullish stocks for a very short period, such as 10 days?

or say selling put options for the same as detailed above? (but it ties up alot of liquidity, when things don't go your way.)
 

FrostWurm

Master Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
3,265
Reaction score
670
overall, would you think that options trading is an overall losing strategy?

including selling call options for bullish stocks for a very short period, such as 10 days?

or say selling put options for the same as detailed above? (but it ties up alot of liquidity, when things don't go your way.)

Will be better off trading vertical spreads if you have limited risk appetite
 
Joined
Sep 9, 2020
Messages
480
Reaction score
290
overall, would you think that options trading is an overall losing strategy?

including selling call options for bullish stocks for a very short period, such as 10 days?

or say selling put options for the same as detailed above? (but it ties up alot of liquidity, when things don't go your way.)

Well, I think ST is more qualified than me to answer this.

I can give you an informed opinion at best as I don't trade options professionally.

The best options players are Americans. Not sure why but the Yankees seem to do it well. Sinkie specialty is futures. All kinds of futures. I prob know of 1 Sinkie option pro. The Sinkie futures trading community is big in SG. Pool is shrinking after the end of pit trading and dawn of electronic trading.

Have to think of new edges to survive in the HFT/algo world.

I have a lot to say about something that is very close to my heart. I think I recently passed my 10,000 hours hahhaha

You should join a prop shop, insti or get a mentor to help you with trading.

Your questions are good but it is a long way to profitability. You are still at the stage of sieving out what works and what doesn't.

I'll be around MM/SSI till March. So happy to respond if I see anything interesting.

Good luck!
 

newjersey

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
856
Reaction score
119
Well, I think ST is more qualified than me to answer this.

I can give you an informed opinion at best as I don't trade options professionally.

The best options players are Americans. Not sure why but the Yankees seem to do it well. Sinkie specialty is futures. All kinds of futures. I prob know of 1 Sinkie option pro. The Sinkie futures trading community is big in SG. Pool is shrinking after the end of pit trading and dawn of electronic trading.

Have to think of new edges to survive in the HFT/algo world.

I have a lot to say about something that is very close to my heart. I think I recently passed my 10,000 hours hahhaha

You should join a prop shop, insti or get a mentor to help you with trading.

Your questions are good but it is a long way to profitability. You are still at the stage of sieving out what works and what doesn't.

I'll be around MM/SSI till March. So happy to respond if I see anything interesting.

Good luck!
at the moment, i see that options trading is abit of a hit and miss.

that said, it's great to use it as an instrument to generate income.

downside of things is you miss the big money when you get assigned.

thanks for your replies!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top