[OFFICIAL] Toshiba U840 users here!

V

victorlht88

Guest
Seems like most people are getting their redemption letters from M1 and some have even gotten their hands onto the ultrabook so its time for some user feedbacks!

Personally, I bought it at $870 off one of the guys in marketplace. Its an amazing ultrabook I would say at 14inch and its so damn light! Weight is an important concern for me since I gotta carry it out almost every other day.

However, I was quite disappointed that there were so much toshiba bloatware that came pre installed so it took me around an hour to totally delete all those nonsense.

Lastly, the ram upgrade to 8gb can't be done on my own so I gotta bring it down to the service centre at Kallang soon (They can do the ram upgrade for me if i bring my own ram down, around 45minutes to 1hour waiting time). A 4gb ram in sim lim cost only $30 though so it will be a worthy upgrade and most ultrabooks only support a maximum 4gb ram just like the asus zenbook series which is a big nono although they run SSDs.

I wonder if we can swap the internal hard disk to a SSD too then it will be a brilliant ultrabook since the prices for SSD have fallen quite abit. For the price of less than $1000 (RP: $1399) if we buy it off those guys who recontracted the M1 broadband, I would say its one hell of a good buy!

Even with a 128gb SSD upgrade (maybe around $200) + 8gb ram (4gb stick for $30), we get a decent 14inch ultrabook for the price of $1100! :s13:
 
Last edited:

lidcombe

Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
How come the ram upgrade cannot be done on your own? You mean they paste a seal over the ram compartment?
 

apengrg

Senior Member
Joined
May 23, 2000
Messages
1,992
Reaction score
21
Wah! U say so good than I may want to keep mine. Collecting mine this week. But will still let go if got offer 950 cos mine old work horse still good. :s22:
 
V

victorlht88

Guest
How come the ram upgrade cannot be done on your own? You mean they paste a seal over the ram compartment?

nah, i couldn't even open the bottom case! :s13:

Wah! U say so good than I may want to keep mine. Collecting mine this week. But will still let go if got offer 950 cos mine old work horse still good. :s22:

haha honestly that will be quite tricky when everyone is selling at below $900. There were people selling at $850 but I was lazy to follow them to redemption centre so settled with a bro who sold me at $870 and he was kind enough to meet me at my convenience.

i am quite happy with it for the price considering even the xps 13 is selling at 1499 (1299 with the 200 off coupon) but both run the same processor i5 1.6ghz and only difference is probably the mini displayport on dell (yeah you need to get an adapter) vs a common hdmi port. Another difference will be the 128gb ssd but then again ssd is quite cheap now also so i wouldn't mind going for toshiba with a larger screen size at almost the same weight man!

hmm only downside is that i need to get used to the slightly smaller keys on the keyboard having used an asus and macbook before (those keyboards were good no doubt).
 

cbyen

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
739
Reaction score
0
TS, how's the battery life? can last how long per charge? does it get very hot with prolong use?

Thanks
 
V

victorlht88

Guest
So u can't use the ssd? I saw its like not used?

yup its 16gb cached, probably mainly just for the OS. we can't access it.

TS, how's the battery life? can last how long per charge? does it get very hot with prolong use?

Thanks

hmm around 4hours+ with balanced mode. Didn't try power saver mode though and nope it doesn't get hot with prolonged usage. It is on usually from morning till night and it doesn't hit up except for maybe the charging area getting a little, just a little warm after a while.
 

cbyen

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
739
Reaction score
0
TS this model got kb backlit? how you clam the warranty for "redeemed set"? what docs seller gave you for warranty claim? thanks.
 

tankk2208

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
No offers, so went and opened the package.

Was surprised at the thinness and light weight of the U840.

Booting up was very fast, screen was crisp and keyboard was illuminated, looks fantastic.

Glad did not sell it :)
 

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2003
Messages
35,992
Reaction score
12
anyone wanna sell to me? or can trade with galaxy tab P1000 plus top up.
 

sobriety

Senior Member
Joined
May 12, 2008
Messages
562
Reaction score
0
I think this Toshiba has an issue. For twice, it shutdown by itself and I wasn't doing anything on it except watching youtube via wifi. It is still very clean and I hadn't got much thing installed on it. Very disappointed with the product and it is only 10 days old and I only used it for 7 to 8 days and only 3 hours of light use each day.

I have contacted the service centre and they only asked me to bring it down for a check. Just very disappointed with them.
 

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2003
Messages
35,992
Reaction score
12
i think the non-removable battery sucks.

coz the battery still drains even though not in use. i remember i left my battery around 70% when i shutdown 3 days ago. today i on it, left only 9%. really sucks man.
 

Elvin_Chong

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 4, 2002
Messages
6,977
Reaction score
94
i think the non-removable battery sucks.

coz the battery still drains even though not in use. i remember i left my battery around 70% when i shutdown 3 days ago. today i on it, left only 9%. really sucks man.

Suspend mode or full shutdown?
 

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2003
Messages
35,992
Reaction score
12
I think you got a lemon unit, time to exchange for a new one. Mine don't drain like yours even though I store it for a week!

maybe still newly opened. Gonna observe a bit more.

Btw, how to access the harddisk?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top