Opinions - iMac or Mac mini + Studio Display?

Singrish

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2020
Messages
1,670
Reaction score
307
Keen to get opinions on this topic. I've used the plastic 24" iMac and then the aluminium 27" iMac before switching to MBP due to work requirements. For a few years now my needs have changed so a bigger screen would make more sense as portability is no longer needed.

One obvious option would be Mac Mini (I don't need the power of Mac Studio) + Studio Display. The other would be to wait and see if a new 27" or larger iMac comes out. I mean I'm in no real hurry (unless touchwood my MBP decides to die on me) so I can wait.

But to me the main disadvantage of 27" or larger iMac is if I need to bring it in for repairs, it's gonna be heavy. Plus it's fragile. I don't drive. If I had Mac Mini + Studio Display, unless of course the display is the one with issues, if not I just bring in the tiny Mac Mini for repairs which is easy peasy.

And I guess another advantage of having display separate from CPU is if I decide to get a newer Mac Mini xx years down the road, I can still re-use my Studio Display which I HOPE (at that price) will last a decent amount of time before it conks. Replacing an iMac with a newer iMac would of course cost more.

At this stage of course no one knows what the 27" or larger iMac will cost (if there is even such a thing). Based on today's specs I'd probably get the basic M2 Pro Mac Mini with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD for $1,849. Add the nano texture glass Studio Display at $2,724 (there's a fair bit of glare in my bedroom) and that's a whopping $4,573! And I've not even added in Apple Care.

I don't recall my old 27" iMac costing anything close to that. Memory is foggy but with Apple Care I think it was about $3,500 back in 2015? And unless the new big screen iMac has some super features, I'm guessing it wouldn't cost anything near $4,573 either.

So yeah, cost versus convenience. Which would you guys go for?
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,296
Reaction score
5,871
it sounds like you have decided that mac mini is the choice for you and you have justified why. i think it makes sense.

maybe the one qns is. do you really need a studio display or can go with alternatives.

what sort of what do you do? visual work or those more text based
 

Singrish

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2020
Messages
1,670
Reaction score
307
it sounds like you have decided that mac mini is the choice for you and you have justified why. i think it makes sense.

maybe the one qns is. do you really need a studio display or can go with alternatives.

what sort of what do you do? visual work or those more text based
Regular work but the Studio Display looks really good. I have seen other cheaper 27” or larger and most don’t look any where as good. Those that are comparable are almost same price so kinda defeats the purpose.

Ultimately its still price difference i guess. If imac costs significantly less than mac mini + studio display, convenience aside it might not be worth paying that extra.

Oh ya mac mini still need to buy keyboard & trackpad. Imac comes with them. Going mac mini route like more & more ex.
 
Last edited:

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,296
Reaction score
5,871
Regular work but the Studio Display looks really good. I have seen other cheaper 27” or larger and most don’t look any where as good. Those that are comparable are almost same price so kinda defeats the purpose.

Ultimately its still price difference i guess. If imac costs significantly less than mac mini + studio display, convenience aside it might not be worth paying that extra.

Oh ya mac mini still need to buy keyboard & trackpad. Imac comes with them. Going mac mini route like more & more ex.
hmmm.

but the qns is do you need those high ends one for simple work.
 

junk610

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2004
Messages
650
Reaction score
37
Keen to get opinions on this topic. I've used the plastic 24" iMac and then the aluminium 27" iMac before switching to MBP due to work requirements. For a few years now my needs have changed so a bigger screen would make more sense as portability is no longer needed.

One obvious option would be Mac Mini (I don't need the power of Mac Studio) + Studio Display. The other would be to wait and see if a new 27" or larger iMac comes out. I mean I'm in no real hurry (unless touchwood my MBP decides to die on me) so I can wait.

But to me the main disadvantage of 27" or larger iMac is if I need to bring it in for repairs, it's gonna be heavy. Plus it's fragile. I don't drive. If I had Mac Mini + Studio Display, unless of course the display is the one with issues, if not I just bring in the tiny Mac Mini for repairs which is easy peasy.

And I guess another advantage of having display separate from CPU is if I decide to get a newer Mac Mini xx years down the road, I can still re-use my Studio Display which I HOPE (at that price) will last a decent amount of time before it conks. Replacing an iMac with a newer iMac would of course cost more.

At this stage of course no one knows what the 27" or larger iMac will cost (if there is even such a thing). Based on today's specs I'd probably get the basic M2 Pro Mac Mini with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD for $1,849. Add the nano texture glass Studio Display at $2,724 (there's a fair bit of glare in my bedroom) and that's a whopping $4,573! And I've not even added in Apple Care.

I don't recall my old 27" iMac costing anything close to that. Memory is foggy but with Apple Care I think it was about $3,500 back in 2015? And unless the new big screen iMac has some super features, I'm guessing it wouldn't cost anything near $4,573 either.

So yeah, cost versus convenience. Which would you guys go for?

The biggest disadvantage of the new 27" or larger iMac is that there's absolutely no sign it'll happen.
Apple didn't even bother to update the 27" slim unibody iMac design for over a DECADE...who knows when they'll release anything new?? I wouldn't hold my breath.
But if it does happen, and if you ever need to bring it in for repairs, just save the box it comes in and reuse that to transport the iMac in a cab to your nearest Apple Store for repairs.

Some other considerations for the phantom 27" or larger iMac:
1. Cost
If it actually happens, high chance it'll be branded an iMac Pro.
Last time that happened, it came with a starting price tag of $7,788.

2. Repair cost
Repairs were already more frequent when they moved to the slim unibody design, due to overheating issues that came with a tighter space...the new 24" iMac is even slimmer.
Displays are now glued to the frame instead of screwed on, which doesn't bode well for repair costs.
They took apart the Mac Mini on YouTube and found that it has plenty of breathing space.
Which is probably why Mac Mini is less prone to overheating issues.

3. 27" or larger?
You already have a 27" iMac.
Should they decide to stick to 27", it may feel like more of the same, and less of an upgrade.

4. Non-modular
Which means you lose the flexibility of replacing the existing display/CPU separately as new tech becomes available. Same goes for repairs.

But if you're pricing in a 27" Studio Display, with Apple's bogus "upgrades" to "nano-texture" and a "height-adjustable stand" that already comes standard on other displays, you're looking at $3,330 for just another 27" IPS display.
I would either consider other display options that will provide the same viewing experience without breaking the bank, or hold out for the mini-LED version.
 
Last edited:

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,771
Reaction score
1,339
My speculation is that its unlikely they will release a 27-inch iMac. For most consumers, they can get a mini + third party display if they prefer a large monitor, and for pro consumers they can get a mac studio + studio display. They already have both markets covered. I for one will love to have a 27-inch iMac but i think the market size for this is too small for Apple.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top