Keen to get opinions on this topic. I've used the plastic 24" iMac and then the aluminium 27" iMac before switching to MBP due to work requirements. For a few years now my needs have changed so a bigger screen would make more sense as portability is no longer needed.
One obvious option would be Mac Mini (I don't need the power of Mac Studio) + Studio Display. The other would be to wait and see if a new 27" or larger iMac comes out. I mean I'm in no real hurry (unless touchwood my MBP decides to die on me) so I can wait.
But to me the main disadvantage of 27" or larger iMac is if I need to bring it in for repairs, it's gonna be heavy. Plus it's fragile. I don't drive. If I had Mac Mini + Studio Display, unless of course the display is the one with issues, if not I just bring in the tiny Mac Mini for repairs which is easy peasy.
And I guess another advantage of having display separate from CPU is if I decide to get a newer Mac Mini xx years down the road, I can still re-use my Studio Display which I HOPE (at that price) will last a decent amount of time before it conks. Replacing an iMac with a newer iMac would of course cost more.
At this stage of course no one knows what the 27" or larger iMac will cost (if there is even such a thing). Based on today's specs I'd probably get the basic M2 Pro Mac Mini with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD for $1,849. Add the nano texture glass Studio Display at $2,724 (there's a fair bit of glare in my bedroom) and that's a whopping $4,573! And I've not even added in Apple Care.
I don't recall my old 27" iMac costing anything close to that. Memory is foggy but with Apple Care I think it was about $3,500 back in 2015? And unless the new big screen iMac has some super features, I'm guessing it wouldn't cost anything near $4,573 either.
So yeah, cost versus convenience. Which would you guys go for?
One obvious option would be Mac Mini (I don't need the power of Mac Studio) + Studio Display. The other would be to wait and see if a new 27" or larger iMac comes out. I mean I'm in no real hurry (unless touchwood my MBP decides to die on me) so I can wait.
But to me the main disadvantage of 27" or larger iMac is if I need to bring it in for repairs, it's gonna be heavy. Plus it's fragile. I don't drive. If I had Mac Mini + Studio Display, unless of course the display is the one with issues, if not I just bring in the tiny Mac Mini for repairs which is easy peasy.
And I guess another advantage of having display separate from CPU is if I decide to get a newer Mac Mini xx years down the road, I can still re-use my Studio Display which I HOPE (at that price) will last a decent amount of time before it conks. Replacing an iMac with a newer iMac would of course cost more.
At this stage of course no one knows what the 27" or larger iMac will cost (if there is even such a thing). Based on today's specs I'd probably get the basic M2 Pro Mac Mini with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD for $1,849. Add the nano texture glass Studio Display at $2,724 (there's a fair bit of glare in my bedroom) and that's a whopping $4,573! And I've not even added in Apple Care.
I don't recall my old 27" iMac costing anything close to that. Memory is foggy but with Apple Care I think it was about $3,500 back in 2015? And unless the new big screen iMac has some super features, I'm guessing it wouldn't cost anything near $4,573 either.
So yeah, cost versus convenience. Which would you guys go for?