Options for upgrading my budget gaming pc

weeasee

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
I intend to do some upgrades for my first custom built pc, 2.5 years old. It was a budget custom built micro atx pc that I manage to scrape together for about 1.1k back then. Here are the specs

Intel i5-7600
MSI H110i Pro AC
8GB DDR4 (single stick)
128GB SATA SSD + 1TB HDD 7200rpm
Zotac GTX1050Ti
Thermaltake 450w PSU (I know this is crap... Probably the first thing I'm gonna swap out ASAP)

I'm looking towards upgrading the HDD to a SSD and more importantly my GPU on a budget. Thing is, should I upgrade to a GTX1660Ti or a used GTX1070Ti? I'm afraid that my cpu would be the bottleneck for a GTX1660. I'm not entirely sure if my CPU is due for an upgrade yet..
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,060
Reaction score
1,758
You should first consider getting another stick of DDR4 for dual channel.

GTX 1660 Super instead of GTX 1660Ti if new.

A used GTX 1070Ti is also a good choice if you can get a good deal though a bit on the overkill side. (A GTX 1070Ti can run at 2560X1080 for gaming with almost all settings maxed at ultra and your monitor is 1980X1080.)
 
Last edited:

weeasee

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
You should first consider getting another stick of DDR4 for dual channel.

GTX 1660 Super instead of GTX 1660Ti if new.

A used GTX 1070Ti is also a good choice if you can get a good deal though a bit on the overkill side. (A GTX 1070Ti can run at 2560X1080 for gaming with almost all settings maxed at ultra and your monitor is 1980X1080.)

Abit conflicted though. If I were to upgrade to a SSD, GTX1660 Super, add RAM and replace with a quality PSU would set me back close to $800, according to current price lists. At that price point, top up abit also can get even a brand new Aftershock desktop with similar specs already :s22: :s22:
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,060
Reaction score
1,758
You can always upgrade the GPU first since I suppose your priority is gaming.

If you are getting a new rig, might as well go for Ryzen.
 

Nelia8686

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2018
Messages
174
Reaction score
1
You want cheap upgrade just upgrade gpu can already. If not I think better to just do a full overhaul. Sell off your whole system and buy new one.

Option 1: Change gpu to gtx 1660 super

Option 2: Major overhaul. Sell off your whole system maybe just keep the ssd and hdd. Then get a new ryzen 3600 system with 2x8gb ddr4 ram gtx 1660 super.

For your situation really depends on your budget. If low budget go for option 1. If got budget go for option 2.
 
Last edited:

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
21,056
Reaction score
1,513
If money is an issue.

Buy 2nd hand GTX 1070, about $200-$250. 1070 is about the same as 1660 super, according to recent benchmark.
Buy dual ram, about $120

Does your mb support nvme ssd?
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top