PC Build Advice Needed. Thank you!

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
*Update2*

Tradepac just called me right after this post lol. They quote me $3099 for 4x8GB RAM and $2844 for 2x8GB RAM.

Why the price difference so big from Lazada if buy individual parts lol.

*Update*


After more reading I have come up with this 2 build. I haven't check with most major store with the quotations yet so I just use Lazada prices as a placeholder only. I only building it with high-end using PC Part picker as guide then slowly reduce them.

Secondly, I did mention in my original post that I do not wish to OC but since I want to invest in an AIO. (Kraken AIO damn nice lol), I would like to leave the option to OC open. So the parts allows me to OC.

Please let me know what you think. I still have some doubts so I need expert's opinions! Thank you very much

Intel 7700k/1080ti/32GB-Trident Build (High)
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $560.00
CPU Cooler : NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler $270.00
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon $430.00
RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $580.00
SSD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $270.00
HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB $120.00
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI 11GB OC Edition $1,400.00
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case $205.00
Case Fan: Corsair - AF120 Twin Pack $40.00
PSU: SeaSonic - X Series 850W Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $250.00
CD Drive: Asus DRW CD Drive $50.00
OS: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $150.00

Total: $4325

AMD Ryzen 1700x/1080ti/32GB-Trident Build (High)
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor $560.00
CPU Cooler : NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler $270.00
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon $430.00
RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $580.00
SSD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $270.00
HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB $120.00
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI 11GB OC Edition $1,400.00
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case $205.00
Case Fan: Corsair - AF120 Twin Pack $40.00
PSU: SeaSonic - X Series 850W Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $250.00
CD Drive: Asus DRW CD Drive $50.00
OS: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $150.00

Total: $4162.00

First of all, any problems with this build? If so, please let me know! Thank you.

Questions for both build:

1) I understand that having 32GB is overkill. I will be reducing it to 16GB. The thing is, I could get 16GB of RAM first, then later choose to add 2 more should there be a need to. Will it cause any problems in future if choose to add later on?

2) For the case, I really like the Corsair 540 cube style. What I am having doubts with are 2 things. I very noob ah please forgive me. (a) Does it come with case fan already attached? (b) Does this case has good airflow? So far most review quite good.

3) Ryzen 1700x vs 7700k. :s13: I still struggling to decide. I do use zbrush/photoshop. I went to zbrush forum and they say it won't make any differences. I am not sure if these software will benefit from the Ryzen 1700x. Moreover, I know that AMD always got heat issue de. Please give me your opinions.

With regards to 7700k build:

1) MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon vs MSI Z270 SLI Plus got any difference? Price difference is about $60 like that. Is this $60 worth it? Both are OC and SLI capable.

With regards to Ryzen 1700x build

1) MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro vs MSI X370 SLI Plus. Same. Also about $60 difference or so. Any major differences.

Lastly, please help me correct any parts that I have got it wrong, negative reviews or if you guys think something else will be better. Thank you everyone for the help. :)

Original Post:
First off, I do not wish to overclock. This PC is purely for gaming purposes. I want this PC to last long. Sorry my question going to be very noob.

I did a bit of reading from PCpartpicker

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/t3tgXL
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2BZRsY

I am thinking of going ahead with this.

CPU: i7-7700k
GPU: Nvidia 1080ti
CPU Cooler: Kraken x62 cooler
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270F ATX LGA1151
RAM: G.Skill Trident 32GB (4x8GB)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
Storage: Samsung EVO SSD 500GB
PSU: ???
Case Fan: ???

I still have a couple of questions I am unsure about.

First of all, I have 0 intention to overclock.

1) Which PSU to choose?

2) I thinking of using 3-pack fan from corsair but I don't know which one to use. They got so many types. I don't need fancy LED nonsense. I just want it to keep the temperature cool.

3) How they install the 3-pack fan into the case? I saw the pictures, they put it at the top of the interior of the case. Does it help? The top of the case doesn't seems to have any vent holes.

4) I have never used liquid cooling before. How to maintain the CPU liquid cooler? Will have condensation problems?

5) Is this setup possible to SLI later should I choose to.

6) Asus 1080ti vs Zotac 1080ti. Any difference?

7) Any problems with this setup?

Lastly, recommend a trust-worthy shop to go for PC parts.

That's all my question so far I believe. Thank you for the help!
 
Last edited:

lalalalalala

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
53,909
Reaction score
15,857
0) Why not ryzen?

1) no overclock no need k chip, can save on mobo also. psu superflower leadex silver/gold. 650w/750w can liao

2) want cool just get coolermaster sickle. but why u need so many fans? your case already got fans leh

3) use screw to mount lo. the top got vent holes at the sides, that's where the fans are pulling/pushing the air from

4) u no oc no need liquid cooler unless for asthetics. nothing to maintain if u buy aio. just plug and play and hope the pump don't spoil. the most just clean the fans

5) usually sli bo hua one. but yes it is possible with your motherboard and psu.

6) price

7) money
 
Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
If you don't overclock, you don't need a z chipset.

The turbo multiplier in the 7700K is configured a 45-44-44-44 (1 to 4 core ratio respectively) and will run just about all the time out of the box at 4.4GHz except for small instances of 4.5GHz even without a z board.

Perhaps it will be worthwhile finding out the turbo multiplier of the non k version. 3 and 4 core ratios will determine the bulk of its frequency under heavy load though there's no public data yet in a form of an official article.

But if you don't overclock and enable multicore acceleration/enhancement, the 7700 and 7700k stock gap should be minimal.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005523.html
 

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
0) Why not ryzen?

1) no overclock no need k chip, can save on mobo also. psu superflower leadex silver/gold. 650w/750w can liao

2) want cool just get coolermaster sickle. but why u need so many fans? your case already got fans leh

3) use screw to mount lo. the top got vent holes at the sides, that's where the fans are pulling/pushing the air from

4) u no oc no need liquid cooler unless for asthetics. nothing to maintain if u buy aio. just plug and play and hope the pump don't spoil. the most just clean the fans

5) usually sli bo hua one. but yes it is possible with your motherboard and psu.

6) price

7) money

why ryzen? Ryzen better?

So which mobo should I look for?
 

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
If you don't overclock, you don't need a z chipset.

The turbo multiplier in the 7700K is configured a 45-44-44-44 (1 to 4 core ratio respectively) and will run just about all the time out of the box at 4.4GHz except for small instances of 4.5GHz even without a z board.

Perhaps it will be worthwhile finding out the turbo multiplier of the non k version. 3 and 4 core ratios will determine the bulk of its frequency under heavy load though there's no public data yet in a form of an official article.

But if you don't overclock and enable multicore acceleration/enhancement, the 7700 and 7700k stock gap should be minimal.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005523.html

Meaning I just need get i7-7700 no need the i7-7700k?
 

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
Actually the intention of 3 fans and liquid cooling is just want to completely prevent overheating.

My old desktop the temperature of the CPU can reach 90+ one.
 

dgenex

Senior Member
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
555
Reaction score
0
Meaning I just need get i7-7700 no need the i7-7700k?

Yes, simply put, if not overclocking for Intel, go for chips without the k at the back. The i7-7700 is same as i7-7700k, just that the 7700k can overclock. Similarly for mobo, no need Z270, B250 is enough.

Ryzen all the chips can overclock.

Actually the intention of 3 fans and liquid cooling is just want to completely prevent overheating.

My old desktop the temperature of the CPU can reach 90+ one.

Liquid cooling unnecessary unless you are overclocking imo. Unless you want the aesthetics like what another bro mentioned above. Either way, I don't think you need to buy 3 more fans as the case already comes with some fans included.
 
Last edited:

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
Yes, simply put, if not overclocking for Intel, go for chips without the k at the back. The i7-7700 is same as i7-7700k, just that the 7700k can overclock. Similarly for mobo, no need Z270, B250 is enough.

Ryzen all the chips can overclock.



Liquid cooling unnecessary unless you are overclocking imo. Unless you want the aesthetics like what another bro mentioned above. Either way, I don't think you need to buy 3 more fans as the case already comes with some fans included.

Understood! Thanks.

If Ryzen 1700. Which mobo best for non-Oc?
 

dgenex

Senior Member
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
555
Reaction score
0
Understood! Thanks.

If Ryzen 1700. Which mobo best for non-Oc?

Performance/Price ratio as bro above mentioned 1600 is more worth. But if you have spare budget go ahead with the 1700. Mobo just get one from ASUS/MSI with the features you want should be fine.
 

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
Performance/Price ratio as bro above mentioned 1600 is more worth. But if you have spare budget go ahead with the 1700. Mobo just get one from ASUS/MSI with the features you want should be fine.

For gaming, get 1600. More bang for buck.

Understood! Thanks!

I have read that 1700 will "auto-overclock" if it is within a temperature range? Is that true? Will 1700x be better in this case?

I actually don't want to OC is because I am afraid it will over heat.

I used to have a desktop that I don't OC but the CPU can reach 90+ degree.

That's why I paranoid put liquid cooling lol.
 
Last edited:

-Synchronicity-

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2012
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
205
Understood! Thanks!

I have read that 1700 will "auto-overclock" if it is within a temperature range? Is that true? Will 1700x be better in this case?

I actually don't want to OC is because I am afraid it will over heat.

I used to have a desktop that I don't OC but the CPU can reach 90+ degree.

That's why I paranoid put liquid cooling lol.

Yeah it will "auto oc" but manually doing it yields better results. All "x" just means better binned chips. Though it doesnt really affect ryzen very much cause they dont oc to super high speeds.

For gaming ONLY seriously consider 1600. 1700 and 1600 have very similar performance in gaming and totally not worth the premium. Spend the difference on a good monitor instead.
 
Last edited:

undead102

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2006
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
0
If purely for gaming purpose. And you have more budget for something better then a ryzen 1600 then go for the intel 7700k. Ryzen 1700 is good only if you do lots of productivity task and also some gaming. G4560 for budget gaming, follow by ryzen 1600 then the 7700k for best value for money gaming processor.
 

RyanCMH

Member
Joined
May 22, 2017
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
I'd recommend a Ryzen 1600 because it's decent for gaming, great money to performance ratio and scaling down your RAM to 16GB, you don't really need that much RAM unless you're a really heavy multitask person. I personally run 30 tabs of Chrome and CSGO open @ 16GB RAM with a few gigs to spare, so unless you plan to have considerably more applications open than stated, I recommend scaling down to 16 to save extra money for a better monitor or any other peripherals you may want to buy.

Other than that, I don't see any issues!
 

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
12,910
Reaction score
3,400
purely gaming and dont want to oc, just get 7700 non k with h board.
you willl have to oc to get the most out of both ryzen and 7700k.

16gb ram more than enough, dont have to spend extra for ram that you will never be able to use, use those money to get a good monitor to go with 1080ti,
no point u spent so much on parts but you buy a potato monitor that will bottleneck your gaming experience.

at least get a 1440p, 144hz refresh monitor with 1080ti.
 

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
Thank you everyone for the help. I have now updated the build list after reading.

*Update*

After more reading I have come up with this 2 build. I haven't check with most major store with the quotations yet so I just use Lazada prices as a placeholder only. I only building it with high-end using PC Part picker as guide then slowly reduce them.

Secondly, I did mention in my original post that I do not wish to OC but since I want to invest in an AIO. (Kraken AIO damn nice lol), I would like to leave the option to OC open. So the parts allows me to OC.

Please let me know what you think. I still have some doubts so I need expert's opinions! Thank you very much

Intel 7700k/1080ti/32GB-Trident Build (High)
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $560.00
CPU Cooler : NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler $270.00
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon $430.00
RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $580.00
SSD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $270.00
HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB $120.00
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI 11GB OC Edition $1,400.00
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case $205.00
Case Fan: Corsair - AF120 Twin Pack $40.00
PSU: SeaSonic - X Series 850W Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $250.00
CD Drive: Asus DRW CD Drive $50.00
OS: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $150.00

Total: $4325

AMD Ryzen 1700x/1080ti/32GB-Trident Build (High)
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor $560.00
CPU Cooler : NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler $270.00
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon $430.00
RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $580.00
SSD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $270.00
HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB $120.00
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI 11GB OC Edition $1,400.00
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case $205.00
Case Fan: Corsair - AF120 Twin Pack $40.00
PSU: SeaSonic - X Series 850W Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $250.00
CD Drive: Asus DRW CD Drive $50.00
OS: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $150.00

Total: $4162.00

First of all, any problems with this build? If so, please let me know! Thank you.

Questions for both build:

1) I understand that having 32GB is overkill. I will be reducing it to 16GB. The thing is, I could get 16GB of RAM first, then later choose to add 2 more should there be a need to. Will it cause any problems in future if choose to add later on?

2) For the case, I really like the Corsair 540 cube style. What I am having doubts with are 2 things. I very noob ah please forgive me. (a) Does it come with case fan already attached? (b) Does this case has good airflow? So far most review quite good.

3) Ryzen 1700x vs 7700k. :s13: I still struggling to decide. I do use zbrush/photoshop. I went to zbrush forum and they say it won't make any differences. I am not sure if these software will benefit from the Ryzen 1700x. Moreover, I know that AMD always got heat issue de. Please give me your opinions.

With regards to 7700k build:

1) MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon vs MSI Z270 SLI Plus got any difference? Price difference is about $60 like that. Is this $60 worth it? Both are OC and SLI capable.

With regards to Ryzen 1700x build

1) MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro vs MSI X370 SLI Plus. Same. Also about $60 difference or so. Any major differences.

Lastly, please help me correct any parts that I have got it wrong, negative reviews or if you guys think something else will be better. Thank you everyone for the help. :)
 

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
Tradepac just called me right after this post lol. They quote me $3099 for 4x8GB RAM and $2844 for 2x8GB RAM.

Why the price difference so big from Lazada if buy individual parts lol.

Worth or not worth?

Tradepac trusted?

They quote this for $3099.

Intel 7700k/1080ti/32GB-Trident Build (High)
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $560.00
CPU Cooler : NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler $270.00
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon $430.00
RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $580.00
SSD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $270.00
HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB $120.00
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI 11GB OC Edition $1,400.00
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case $205.00
Case Fan: Corsair - AF120 Twin Pack $40.00
PSU: SeaSonic - Prime 650W Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $250.00
 
Last edited:

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
140,665
Reaction score
9,358
the price seems "inflated"

can improve to be cheaper and better without the unnecessary parts like AIO

bad idea to spend ~$1250 for cpu mobo cooler .... still a quadcore
 
Last edited:

CloudJames

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
8,045
Reaction score
0
the price seems "inflated"

can improve to be cheaper and better without the unnecessary parts like AIO

bad idea to spend ~$1250 for cpu mobo cooler .... still a quadcore

Yea from Lazada individually seems inflated. I just use it as place holder.

What improvement would you choose? Please offer your advice. Thank you!

Honestly I just very scared of heat only. I want to maintain low temperature that's why I choose AIO + additional case fan lol
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top