PC can't boot. 4 short beep

simple_n_eazi

Reaction score
Hi
Need some expert help.
I have problem trying to boot my pc. It has 4 short beeps and nothing appears.
I have 2 pieces of ram. I tried to switch both and also tried using just either 1. All combination seem to have same 4 short beeps.
Any idea what is the main issue?
My motherboard is asrock b75m
Thank you.

congster2

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi
Need some expert help.
I have problem trying to boot my pc. It has 4 short beeps and nothing appears.
I have 2 pieces of ram. I tried to switch both and also tried using just either 1. All combination seem to have same 4 short beeps.
Any idea what is the main issue?
My motherboard is asrock b75m
Thank you.

Why don't you read your mobo manual and see what 4 short beeps translate to under troubleshooting error codes?

simple_n_eazi

Reaction score
I have thrown away my manual. Tried to find online manual but didn't seem to have the beeping errors description.
Tried googling and it seems to be ram issue for Asrock. Thus, I tried switching around but no success. Wondering could it be both ram spoilt or motherboard faulty.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Memory error. Suggest you reset BIOS to default and test with both sticks again, one at a time.

soltrdc

Reaction score
Online AsRock FAQ says 4 short beeps = system timing error. one reason could be RAM faulty. Maybe can try replacing CMOS battery also.

simple_n_eazi

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I tried to change the ram one by one and in different slot.
I managed to boot up my pc now with 1 piece of ram but things get a bit complex.

For easy referencing, I will label Ram slot A and B. Then I label the Ram as 1 and 2.

1) When I tried to use Ram 1 for slot A and B, only slot A works. For slot B, the error beeping becomes 3 long beeps which I think is no ram detected.
2) When I tried to use Ram 2 for slot A and B, both does not work. Slot A gives the original 4 short beeps. Slot B gives the same 3 long beeps as Ram 1.
3) When I put both rams in, the error beeping is 4 short beeps.

Please advise if I have multiple faulty items in my pc?
Thank you

soltrdc

Reaction score
Ram 2 is faulty, all other components are fine. Most if not all mobos have a "priority" ram slot. Assuming you have a A_0/B_0 and A_1/B_1 config (4 slots), prob only A_0 will work with 1 stick of RAM. Check your mobo manual for the supported config.

simple_n_eazi

Reaction score
Ram 2 is faulty, all other components are fine. Most if not all mobos have a "priority" ram slot. Assuming you have a A_0/B_0 and A_1/B_1 config (4 slots), prob only A_0 will work with 1 stick of RAM. Check your mobo manual for the supported config.

Is there anyway I can still send for RMA? My ram is Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (8GB)
I can't seem to locate the invoice and can't remember where I bought it.:rolleyes:

soltrdc

Reaction score
Is there anyway I can still send for RMA? My ram is Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (8GB)
I can't seem to locate the invoice and can't remember where I bought it.:rolleyes:
Try contacting Crucial. No guarantees but no harm trying.

simple_n_eazi

Reaction score
buy new motherboard
Should I buy a motherboard that fits my existing CPU (LGA1155) or better to just get new motherboard + cpu. Hope to retain my graphic card which was changed recently, existing hard drives and accessories. Also considering to get Aftershock CPU tower and fit those old parts in (less hassle to install board n my own). Not sure what will be the better option.

soltrdc

Reaction score
Should I buy a motherboard that fits my existing CPU (LGA1155) or better to just get new motherboard + cpu. Hope to retain my graphic card which was changed recently, existing hard drives and accessories. Also considering to get Aftershock CPU tower and fit those old parts in (less hassle to install board n my own). Not sure what will be the better option.
I don't know if you will be able to find such an old mobo today. Even if you can, it will probably be old leftover stock from before and support has ended. For approx. $400 - $500 you can get a current 11th Gen Intel core i5 CPU + 500 series (B560 or H510) mobo.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1155 is dead and use too much electricity. even a 15w quadcore ryzen is faster

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have RMAed my Kingstom RAMS with no receipt previously. They just tested and issued a new one.

Ysatis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also had the same problem recently. faulty ram (crucial ballistix tactical tracer 1866). changed everything only keeping my ssds as backup and using back my old power supply (superflower leadex platinum 1000w).

simple_n_eazi

Reaction score
Managed to contact crucial and they willing to do a swap for me.
However, they need me to ship the item to US.
What is the recommended way to ship that?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.