PC can't boot up!! :(

rimeblade

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
It was working fine this morning but then in the afternoon my hand itchy so I opened it up to do cable management. Then after I was done, it cannot boot up anymore :(

I set my SSD (with windows 10 installed) as the boot drive, then when I reboot, it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

Then, using the windows 8 CD, I tried to refresh but it says my drive is locked. I tried resetting and it says a required partition is missing. Lastly I tried to install windows 8 again but it told me "This computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade."


I really dont know what to do anymore :( any help will be greatly appreciated :(

Components are on the right ---->
 

xtractor

Master Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
4,673
Reaction score
978
unplug ur ssd,leave it unused and try to install ur windows at ur HDD.see whether it works
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,060
Reaction score
1,758
I suggest you unplug all the HDD and try with only the SSD. Check that both the SATA cable and power cable are firmly attached.

You probably bumped something during cable management. It happens, not a big deal.

Do check that everything else is properly connected as well.
 

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Messages
25,846
Reaction score
159
go to bios make sure both ur ssd and 1tb hdd is detected.

when trying to install a new copy of windows, remove/disable ALL HDD/SSDs except for the one u are going to install windows in. Delete/Remove all the partitions, then click the unformated disk and install it....
 

rimeblade

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
unplug ur ssd,leave it unused and try to install ur windows at ur HDD.see whether it works

ok going to try now!

I suggest you unplug all the HDD and try with only the SSD. Check that both the SATA cable and power cable are firmly attached.

You probably bumped something during cable management. It happens, not a big deal.

Do check that everything else is properly connected as well.

yeah doubled checked again and unplugged other HDD liao, still cannot :(

but did u check the boot disk in bios?

not sure what you mean, but I set my SSD as Boot Option #1

go to bios make sure both ur ssd and 1tb hdd is detected.

when trying to install a new copy of windows, remove/disable ALL HDD/SSDs except for the one u are going to install windows in. Delete/Remove all the partitions, then click the unformated disk and install it....

ok trying now !!
 

rimeblade

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
ok I just tried to re-install windows 8 but this screen keeps showing.

oygof


so I unplugged my USB DVD Burner (that I used to install windows 8 two years ago) and nothing happened, I think I'm doing it wrong. any advice?

edit: not sure how to insert pic but basically it's a chunk of text saying "The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. Do not select [Custom (advanced)] to perform an upgrade. [Custom (advanced)] installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings."
 
Last edited:

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Messages
25,846
Reaction score
159
ok I just tried to re-install windows 8 but this screen keeps showing.

EnswNGJ.jpg


so I unplugged my USB DVD Burner (that I used to install windows 8 two years ago) and nothing happened, I think I'm doing it wrong. any advice?

edit: not sure how to insert pic but basically it's a chunk of text saying "The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. Do not select [Custom (advanced)] to perform an upgrade. [Custom (advanced)] installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings."

help u fix ur image

when u are doing the installation, did u click upgrade or custom ?

242gchv.jpg


if u are using upgrade, u are doing it wrong. Please use custom, and follow my previous post of deleting all partitions from the disk drive u are re-installing ur os on and remove all other hdds
 
Last edited:

xtractor

Master Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
4,673
Reaction score
978
:s22: need to have a clean install :s12::s12:....

follow elijahonli steps
 
Last edited:

rimeblade

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
if u are using upgrade, u are doing it wrong. Please use custom, and follow my previous post of deleting all partitions from the disk drive u are re-installing ur os on and remove all other hdds

:s22: need to have a clean install :s12::s12:....

follow elijahonli steps

yeah thanks guys, in the process of clean install now. appreciate the help :o
grieving the loss of my data :(:(:(
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
So did TS formatted his SSD or have not? And is the SSD the only connecting storage device to his PC?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,694
Reaction score
525
Maybe the MBAis resided on drive other than OS SSD. As such, you can't boot once the other drive is removed. This issue is faced by users who upgrade to SSD from HDD but fail to disconnect HDD during SSD OS setup.
 

rimeblade

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
Maybe the MBAis resided on drive other than OS SSD. As such, you can't boot once the other drive is removed. This issue is faced by users who upgrade to SSD from HDD but fail to disconnect HDD during SSD OS setup.

but my OS had been installed on my SSD from the start :O
honestly building my own PC is fun but when all these stuff happens ah haiz
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top