PC Upgrade

Raynesis

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
341
Reaction score
14
Hi all,

Thinking of upgrading my GTX770 to GTX1080
- I heard it does not matter which brand I go with since they are all pretty similar right? It does cost $1K+ so I just want to make sure at least.

High CPU usage
Currently facing high CPU usage on my PC.
With browser + miscellaneous programs, I am at 10-20% CPU usage.
If I turn on WoW, I get about 50% usage.
- Is it possible that my CPU is getting old, resulting in these numbers? Or motherboard even?

Current specs:
Processor
INTEL CORE I5 2500K 3.3GHZ QUAD CORE PROCESSOR

Mainboard
ASROCK Z68 EXTREME 4 (B3) MOTHERBOARD

Graphics Card
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770

Memory
KINGSTON 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ CL9 MEMORY *2

Display
DELL U2414H *2

Storage
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD + SAMSUNG 1TB 32MB HDD

Optical Storage
SONY 880S 24X SATA DVD REWRITER DRIVE

Casing
COOLERMASTER ELITE 430 CHASSIS

PSU
FSP AURUM GOLD 600W POWER SUPPLY UNIT

OS
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8 PRO 64-BI


What else do you guys think is worth upgrading?
 
Last edited:

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
35,380
Reaction score
402
Have you overclock your CPU before?

Cheapest GTX 1080 stands at $999 (before discount).
 

joshuaho

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2015
Messages
830
Reaction score
0
Gtx 1080 bottle necks with 2500k... have to go i7 in order to let it run at full potential. .

Hi all,

Thinking of upgrading my GTX770 to GTX1080
- I heard it does not matter which brand I go with since they are all pretty similar right? It does cost $1K+ so I just want to make sure at least.

High CPU usage
Currently facing high CPU usage on my PC.
With browser + miscellaneous programs, I am at 10-20% CPU usage.
If I turn on WoW, I get about 50% usage.
- Is it possible that my CPU is getting old, resulting in these numbers? Or motherboard even?

Current specs:
Processor
INTEL CORE I5 2500K 3.3GHZ QUAD CORE PROCESSOR

Mainboard
ASROCK Z68 EXTREME 4 (B3) MOTHERBOARD

Graphics Card
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770

Memory
KINGSTON 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ CL9 MEMORY *2

Display
DELL U2414H *2

Storage
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD + SAMSUNG 1TB 32MB HDD

Optical Storage
SONY 880S 24X SATA DVD REWRITER DRIVE

Casing
COOLERMASTER ELITE 430 CHASSIS

PSU
FSP AURUM GOLD 600W POWER SUPPLY UNIT

OS
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8 PRO 64-BI


What else do you guys think is worth upgrading?
 

Raynesis

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
341
Reaction score
14
Gtx 1080 bottle necks with 2500k... have to go i7 in order to let it run at full potential. .

Was looking around on tom's hardware, pretty sure your i5 processor will experince bottleneck with the 1080, even when overclocked.

Sent from LHC using GAGT

Oh really? I asked before here and remembered them saying it was fine.
Good thing I asked again.

Any recommendations which I should upgrade to?
I am not familiar with hardware; my PC specs were suggested here, and then subjected to stock availability with fortran.
 

youcharkway

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
18,092
Reaction score
2
Oh really? I asked before here and remembered them saying it was fine.
Good thing I asked again.

Any recommendations which I should upgrade to?
I am not familiar with hardware; my PC specs were suggested here, and then subjected to stock availability with fortran.
But first thing first, what are the kind of games you playing? The latest? Or just wow?

Sent from LHC using GAGT
 

Raynesis

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
341
Reaction score
14
I mainly play MMOs, MOBAs, Overwatch etc.

I want to be able to max games out while staying above 60 FPS at least, with no dips. (I get a lot of FPS dips in WoW)

But of course I also understand that certain games are too intensive even for new hardware.

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
I mainly play MMOs, MOBAs, Overwatch etc.

I want to be able to max games out while staying above 60 FPS at least, with no dips. (I get a lot of FPS dips in WoW)

But of course I also understand that certain games are too intensive even for new hardware.

Serious question here.
Are you planning to upgrade your monitor(s) in the near future?
Otherwise GTX1060/1070 will suit your needs.
1080 will be overkill for 1080p/60Hz... (heck I think 1070 will be overkill too)

Also, Overwatch is a game that makes good use of hyperthreading.
Definitely need i7 to avoid bottleneck
Not sure about the other games as I don't play them
 
Last edited:

youcharkway

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
18,092
Reaction score
2
I mainly play MMOs, MOBAs, Overwatch etc.

I want to be able to max games out while staying above 60 FPS at least, with no dips. (I get a lot of FPS dips in WoW)

But of course I also understand that certain games are too intensive even for new hardware.

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT
Ok, then its not that intensive as compared to those AAA titles. You can either do what mod suggests, if you don't mind a 2nd hand processor, or get a i5 6500 above processor. If budgeting isn't an issue then hit a i7.

Side track abit, i personally feel that you can drop to a 1070 to cut cost. But its really up to you as to how you wanna future proof your rig. Just my opinion.
 

Raynesis

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
341
Reaction score
14
Serious question here.
Are you planning to upgrade your monitor(s) in the near future?
Otherwise GTX1060/1070 will suit your needs.
1080 will be overkill for 1080p/60Hz... (heck I think 1070 will be overkill too)

Also, Overwatch is a game that makes good use of hyperthreading.
Definitely need i7 to avoid bottleneck
Not sure about the other games as I don't play them

I actually very interested in trying a 120hz monitor, but don't think 4K is necessary for now.
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
I actually very interested in trying a 120hz monitor, but don't think 4K is necessary for now.

I'm not an advocater of 4k, so I pretty much agree with you.
That being said, if you aren't upgrading your monitor in the near future, I'd strongly advise getting a GTX1060 instead.
GTX1080 for 1080p/60Hz gaming is absurdly overkill, plus you get bottle-necked by your cpu.

For your reference, here's some info on the performance: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/23.html
GTX1060 basically can hit 145fps on 1080p for wow on ultra settings.
It is more than sufficient for your needs.

If you are looking for a new monitor, maybe a qhd 144Hz gsync monitor would be good if you have the budget.
 
Last edited:

Raynesis

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
341
Reaction score
14
I am more worried about the CPU right now.
Do you guys think a new CPU will solve my CPU usage issue?

Right now with WoW open on my 2nd monitor, surfing the web or playing videos (especially) is like watching a slide show.

Budget is not too big of an issue, since you get what you spend.
Maybe GTX1070 + CPU would be ideal?
 

superzheny

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
545
Reaction score
11
use msi afterburner enable cpu and gpu usage on screen overlay. monitor your cpu and gpu usage then decide from there. sometime u might see both cpu and gpu usage being low, in that situation chances are is the game not well optimised

also just because one is limiting the other, doesnt mean u should upgrade. take not of the actual fps u r getting and see if it is desirable first
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
I am more worried about the CPU right now.
Do you guys think a new CPU will solve my CPU usage issue?

Right now with WoW open on my 2nd monitor, surfing the web or playing videos (especially) is like watching a slide show.

Budget is not too big of an issue, since you get what you spend.
Maybe GTX1070 + CPU would be ideal?

For your usage (1080p/60Hz), no.
GTX1060/RX480 is more than sufficient to achieve at least 140+fps/1080p on Ultra settings for the games you mentioned.
Your cpu is also not bottlenecked here, and you can overclock it for more headroom.
Also, your cpu is only at 50% when running WoW, indicating that it is not quite the bottleneck when running this game.

For the issue you listed (in bold above), you just simply need to go into task manager and set the priority of your web browser to 'High', and your WoW's priority to 'normal'.
This should make your browser smoother while running WoW.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top