PC weird starting up

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
Hi, I noticed this weird issue, hope you gurus can shed some light.

Whenever I start my PC, the fans and lights will come on for 1-2 seconds then shut down for 1-2 seconds and restart again normally.

I am not sure if this is normal as it's my first build. Should I be worried? :o

EDIT:

This will happen only when I shut down completely and off the power. It will not happen when I do a Windows Restart.

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uhk0q1khp3tdv0/20140810_212045.mp4?dl=0
 
Last edited:

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
Anyone know anything?

I thought it was due to my OCing. But I load optimized defaults in BIOS, still same thing.
 

Blehana

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
I've seen that before, if i'm not wrong it could be a hardware that is causing it, could be graphics card, ram or something else. If it's not, then it could be the mobo acting up.
 

mypillowtalks

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
32,714
Reaction score
78
I have that happened to me before. The fan spins up for split sec, led lights up, then switch off. I believe your problem is intermittent, and it is hard to troubleshoot.


Unfortunately it seems like it can be anything. At first it was the gpu, after a while it seems to be the ram. My power supply died after that, together with my mobo and gpu .

I know this post isn't helping, but you can try by swapping a powersupply with a friend and test.
 

gs

Master Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Messages
3,541
Reaction score
0
remove ram...and turn on..see able to turn on and run for awhile without shutdown after 1-2 secs..clean the contact of the rams using a rubber..if still the same remove display..and repeat the process if still cant clear cmos by remove the battery..and power cord and spawn on power on button...and put in ram onli without display card and try switching it on..if still the same could be a case of mainboard failure or psu
 

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
Hi guys, I'm still trying to troubleshoot above problem. The next thing I'm going to try is to use the stock Intel cooler and see if the problem persist. Currently on Noctua D14, suspect CPU fan giving problem.

My Intel stock cooler still new inside the box.

Question is, can I just put the stock cooler on top of the CPU, connect the fan and power it on?

Meaning take out the D14, remove the TIM, put the stock cooler on w/o TIM (since stock cooler have 3 stripes of TIM right?), connect the fan connector and power it on to test?

Thanks in advance.
 

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20

Hey, thanks for the link.

That double boot is nothing to be stressed about, it is normal behaviour when your BIOS is re-training due to changes made in the BioS or when your system is powering on after a hard power off.

Somehow I feel something is not right.

I tried troubleshooting last week. Tear out everything and install just the minimum. I even got a PSU on loan to test.


  1. While switching PSU and plugging in and out the 24 and 4 pin PSU cable to mobo for testing, I saw CPU fan error! .
  2. Set the CPU fan min to 400rpm.
  3. Somehow, everything works ok there after. One press of the power button and it just starts once. Perfect.
So I happily fix back everything thinking I'd solved the problem after so long.


BUT to my horror, the problem came back!!! :(


Now my only hint is the CPU Fan error. I tried again this time, but without dismantling everything, even set it to 'IGNORE'... No luck.


Note 1: Already tried reset cmos, reseat everything, try all ram slots, switch PSU...


Note 2: experience tells me the ASUS ROG forumers may sometimes give wrong information...
 

JustAnotherTroll

Master Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
3,249
Reaction score
235
Hey, thanks for the link.



Somehow I feel something is not right.

I tried troubleshooting last week. Tear out everything and install just the minimum. I even got a PSU on loan to test.


  1. While switching PSU and plugging in and out the 24 and 4 pin PSU cable to mobo for testing, I saw CPU fan error! .
  2. Set the CPU fan min to 400rpm.
  3. Somehow, everything works ok there after. One press of the power button and it just starts once. Perfect.
So I happily fix back everything thinking I'd solved the problem after so long.


BUT to my horror, the problem came back!!! :(


Now my only hint is the CPU Fan error. I tried again this time, but without dismantling everything, even set it to 'IGNORE'... No luck.


Note 1: Already tried reset cmos, reseat everything, try all ram slots, switch PSU...


Note 2: experience tells me the ASUS ROG forumers may sometimes give wrong information...

you tested both cpu fans?
 

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
you tested both cpu fans?

Sorry, do you mean the Noctua D14's fan and Stock HSF's fan?

Thing is, I thought I'd solved it by lowering the CPU FAN MIN to 400rpm. You know, it works initially!

I even tested a few times while all the hardware are still dismantled. Boots perfectly the first time all the way.

Switch back to my own PSU, works perfectly too.

BUT, after i install back everything... arrgghhh.... same problem.

Really weird... :s11:
 

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
5,207
Reaction score
11
in link, that ts claimed no more dbl boot with 0804 bios. is ur bios ver earlier or later?
 

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
in link, that ts claimed no more dbl boot with 0804 bios. is ur bios ver earlier or later?

His post is in Feb 2013, using 0804 BIOS.

I'm using 1505. And I can only use later revision BIOS as I'm using DC CPU on a Z87 board.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top