Principle Loan Amount: $10,000
Interest: 7% pa
Repayment Period: 4 years
Monthly Amount: $267
Borrower is willing to sign IOU.
Some points to be considered.
Are you prepared to write off as loss if you are not be able to get all your money back? If the borrower is creditworthy enough to borrow from the bank, he/she would not come to you. As for legal recourse, if you do not get back the money, I do not think this sum justifies legal proceeding and also this would sour the relationship if this is your good friend or relative.
If you are confident that you are you able to get your full amount with interest back as scheduled, and this is just spare cash for you which you are going to keep in the bank anyway, then by all means go ahead. To assess this, perhaps you should ask what the borrower needs the money for.
For me, if this is spare cash to me and if I am asked to help because he/she needs the money to tide over hard times (e.g. just lost job, for emergency hospitalization, etc), I may consider. But then again, I would not think of charging the high 7% rate. If it is to fund a new/existing business or repay another loan, I would back off.