Phanteks Enthoo Pro Review

djdestiny

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
11
_DSC0001_zps4a22f87d.jpg

Apologies for fingerprint marks and poor product shots.
_DSC0002_zpse2d906db.jpg

_DSC0003_zps2bc52509.jpg

_DSC0004_zps6c6d1a21.jpg

_DSC0005_zps882e0f47.jpg

My writeup on the enthoo pro : (WARNING WALL OF TEXT AHEAD)
Obviously, this is not an big chassis like the switch 810 and will not fit rads in the same places as the 810. But, the enthoo pro makes use of it's displaced size very well by allowing you to configure most of the case to what you like.

Most of the case can be dismantled for painting but there is just some of it that is riveted, for reasons unknown.
It should have been screwed in as well!
It looks classy and simple very much unlike any HAF series cases or a NZXT Phantom
Radiator support : Not so simple since a bottom 240 will slam right into your PSU if you use a 190mm long PSU like I do. Just that 20mm difference in depth compared to a switch 810 makes it pretty much impossible for you to install a 240 rad.

Otherwise, you can always keep the bottom HDD cage if you want to use 2 HDDs like I do (not any more as of now) and install the 240 without the optical bay on the middle 120mm fan slot, with the other 120 in the area where the optical bay used to be or if you can squeeze it in there, the other option is to take the cage mounting point out and rest the whole cage on shock absorbing foam :p and thus squeeze a rad in there if it isn't possible to do with the stock HDD mounting points and move the single HDD underneath the PSU cover.
With only the bottom HDD cages in place you can hide the reservoir and pump if you so desire.

Of course, the key points I'm having to raise is that the Enthoo Pro is well-built and has a PSU cover along with a optical bay AND HDD bay cover which hides up most of what you wouldn't want to see.
Cable management space at 27mm which admittedly isn't necessarily the most spacious but there's a bulge in the bottom allowing for even more cable management in the very bottom which makes it far more brilliant than my 810 for cable management which doesn't have much.
The doors are hinged like the 810 but doesn't require 1000 pounds of force to pull it out of orbit and doesn't have silly plastic door latches that will break if you open the doors frequently (which I do)

The paint is glossy, which is a shame as that makes it VERY sensitive to fingerprint marks without a shadow of doubt.
It's a perfectly smooth finish though and the "brushed parts" are actually plastic!
Fantastic as brushed aluminium is nice to touch and look but not so nice to see eventually. The glossy finish is very annoying though ...
A issue I have though is the slightly flimsy motherboard tray but it's not as bad as cheap corsair cases tend to be and I am just nitpicking really, I am comparing it to CM HAF cases and the COSMOS 2 which has one hell of a solid tray.
Hell the Corsair 230T isn't cheap and just screams cheap from the PCI covers to the motherboard tray along with the chassis on the outside!

The velcro straps on the motherboard tray though (Better than clips!), are actually bolted on to the tray.

If I have three gripes with it (which I do) is that the built in fan controller is very weird you can't have it powered from the SATA plug unless you enjoy running fans at full blast which defeats the point of the fan controller but maybe I was reading it wrong. Mine came broken so I never knew how it reacts to control nevertheless.

Secondly, I can't install a 45mm thick rad and a row of fans without everything being a tight squeeze ... removing 1 screw in the corner solves the problem though :p EX58-UD5 doesn't have the tallest VRM heatsinks either ...
Of course, the other problems is that the built in 200mm runs at 900rpm out of the box. It is indeed the very phanteks fan you can buy off the shelf so it's a good fan but it's quite loud and you cannot really have it spin lower than 600rpm easily if you're using voltage resistors.
Normally I have never liked 200mm fans because there aren't any good ones that I usually know of but I probably approve of this one if there's nothing in the way apart from the screen filter which is great, unfortunately HDD cages are in the way so no.

Plus having taken out the PH-F200SP and put in the stock PH-F140XP cooling my R9 280X TurboDuo is a lot easier even though it's got a really low power draw being a Tahiti XTL

So now, a few issues I would like to see phanteks improve on, extending the top of the case by at least 10mm for more rad clearance and a rough paint coat would be nice. Gloss Paint is nice to look at but not so nice once you have your fingers on it.

Of course pricing is my main point, it costs 139$ which really isn't much at all.
For something that only costs 139$ for a case this customizable is definitely a winner.
Is it a perfect case? I don't think so, not really. Is it a great modder's case? Yes!

Brilliant brilliant case - this is like a Lamborghini Aventador in the car world for those who aren't into cars that much but if you are, this is like a GT-R R35 in terms of looks and actually in simplicity functionality too
Both come across as mean as very neat/clean at the same time. If I was trying to abbreviate ... It just looks fantastic.
It's simple ... at the same time very feature-packed but well thought out. Phanteks replaced my scratched up side panel FOC!
A lot better than I suppose, NZXT? They delayed my panels for 6 months and in the end decided not to send me panels for my switch 810. If it wasn't for Hydra's help I wouldn't have gotten this case early and really thank you Eugene for getting me one pre sale.

Pros :
Well built, very very stealth innards, awesome customizability, fantastic looks, black smoked window
Cons :
Extremely fingerprint magnet glossy paint coat, side panel came scratched,
mobo tray is a bit flimsy but not as bad as cheap corsair cases tend to be (Production models come with a much more solid panel than mine is so yes it's a non-issue now)
 
Last edited:

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,563
Reaction score
28,708
You are conflicting yourself. You said pro is well built. Con is filmsy. Pro is fantastic look. Con is tonnes of fingerprints.??
 

djdestiny

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
11
You are conflicting yourself. You said pro is well built. Con is filmsy. Pro is fantastic look. Con is tonnes of fingerprints.??

Motherboard tray is a lil bit flimsy but the rest of it is very well built.
Mind you I'm used to CM HAF and Cosmos II solid-ness :)
Besides I mentioned that production retail units are unlike mine...

Looks great. Where to get it? I might want to replace the A77. :D
PCThemes! Call before you go. White version goes for 149$!
 
Last edited:

djdestiny

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
11
How about 240 radiator support at the top?

It supports 120 or 140 or 240 or 280 or 360.or 420 rad.
The rad mount is not offset ._.
When the top panel is left stock the case fits 45mm rad+ 25mm fan push or pull although it's a tight fit but I suggest pull from inside the case.
If you use a 360 you can get a 120/140 in the rear
 

djdestiny

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
11
_DSC0001.JPG

_DSC0001_2.JPG

_DSC0002_2.JPG


These were taken with the old side panel. It seems I forgot to throw these in
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top