Hi all, I have been looking through the Thailand forum for some time and was planning to self drive in phuket.
Finally booked from Hertz for my trip a few weeks ago. Sharing my exp.
I had booked from the bigger companies as this is my first time I go overseas to drive and so, got it from them for a peace of mind.
Pretrip:
- Can book from the hertz thailand, avis thailand, etc. Cheaper than the international version of the company. No need to pay anything. Just note the booking ref no.
- For insurance, normally will include CDW (aka must pay deductible if anything), can get SCDW (for no deductible). I got CDW as my travel insurance include coverage for deductible.
- For GPS, can use google map + data plan. (more on this later)
- For vehicle type, it was between vios and jazz. Got jazz as thought it will be easier to park and maneuver in the windy road. Also, not much luggage and 2 pax only.
- I also get an international licence for $25
Trip:
- The Hertz counter is in the airport with all the other rental company.
- Just go and they have a list with your name. Confirm the days of rental and price.
- Hertz require payment in credit card and also authorise an additional sum of 30k baht in case anything.
- Thereafter, follow the staff to the road in front of the airport to take over the car.
- The staff will mark on a checklist with all the scratches and problems (less than max fuel). Just point this point that and make sure the person note it. Also check the spare tire and the lights (Hazard, etc). Get to know how to open all the diff compartments and also what is the emergency contact no. etc. (Im quite new so ask this ask that... lol)
Post trip:
- I return the vehicle at the lot and drop the key at a box at the counter as it was early and the counter not opened yet.
- Remember to return the vehicle with full tank.
I got some pics of the rental and trip for sharing.
keykey travels round the world: Phuket in June - Day 1
Hope I got the above right.