Please please help me choose

zacharyandrew

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
5
Hi everyone,

I need help choosing a laptop. I haven't bought a new laptop since my last one which was the R1 Alienware in 2010. I know a lot has changed and I haven't kept up with the latest trends. Please give me your insights. Thank you all in advance.

I'm looking for a 15 inch laptop which I will be carrying around. Not looking for anything smaller. Too old already need the bigger screen.

I will be mainly using it for web browsing, video conferencing, Netflix, Words, Excel but I would also really like to be able to play L4D2 and PUBG (only these 2 games, definitely won't be playing anything else because I'm more of a console gamer) with at least medium settings.

my budget is about 1.4k (can stretch a bit la), The lighter and more durable the better.

I have narrowed it down to these 5

I honestly prefer the Asus vivobook s15 (because I am biased) but would like more opinions and wouldn't mind any other options as well.

https://sg.store.asus.com/asus-vivobook-s15-s533fl-bq156t.html

https://store.hp.com/sg-en/default/hp-pavilion-15-cs3018tx-8nv76pa.html

https://www.reebelo.com/collections...nspiron155593-midnightblue-512gbssd-singapore

https://www.aftershockpc.com/welcome/ProductconfigRec/forge15s

https://sg.store.asus.com/asus-vivobook-gaming-15-f571gt-al369t.html
heaviest and the most ex of the lot. Will only get this if the rest really can't make it as this is about 200 above my original budget

I know that the dell is 2nd hand but i don't mind it for this because i can't seem to find this configuration on the dell website which is mainly just the graphic card (this has an mx230 while the one on the dell website are integrated graphics card

Please help me choose. Thank you! In order of preference
 
Last edited:

ckctam

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
344
Reaction score
3
Hi,

If you are going to play PUBG, you need a discrete graphic card. I don't think mx250 is sufficient. Mx250 comes in two variants: 10 watts and 25 watts. If you are going to get a laptop with it, make sure you know which version you are getting and preferably the latter one.
 

pawn_king

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
1,478
Reaction score
158
yes need a better GFX card. at least GTX 1650 will be good.

If you are open to used Dell. try dell outlet singapore. Factory renewed, sometimes just open box/good as new. with Dell warranty.

I'm seeing some G3 15 at $1200+ with

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 9th Generation i7-9750H Processor (6 Core, Up to 4.50GHz, 12MB Cache, 45W)
1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM) + 256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid Stat Hard Drive
16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC MEMORY
15.6inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare IPS LED Backlit Display LCD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 GRAPHICS
 

zacharyandrew

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
5
Hi,

If you are going to play PUBG, you need a discrete graphic card. I don't think mx250 is sufficient. Mx250 comes in two variants: 10 watts and 25 watts. If you are going to get a laptop with it, make sure you know which version you are getting and preferably the latter one.

Besides checking with the retailer, how can I check which watt it is? I emailed asus and now waiting for their reply
 

zacharyandrew

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
5
yes need a better GFX card. at least GTX 1650 will be good.

If you are open to used Dell. try dell outlet singapore. Factory renewed, sometimes just open box/good as new. with Dell warranty.

I'm seeing some G3 15 at $1200+ with

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 9th Generation i7-9750H Processor (6 Core, Up to 4.50GHz, 12MB Cache, 45W)
1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM) + 256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid Stat Hard Drive
16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC MEMORY
15.6inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare IPS LED Backlit Display LCD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 GRAPHICS

Thanks! Will check that out! I'm more keen on a 10th gen i7 though
 

zacharyandrew

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
5
Sorry. Can't link cos using my phone now but many thanks to all that replied. Now I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the

https://sg.store.asus.com/rog-strix-g-g531gt-gtx1650.html

Of course not from here as lazada has this in stock

https://sg.store.asus.com/rog-strix-g-g531gu-gtx1660ti.html

https://www.aftershockpc.com/welcome/ProductconfigRec/forge15s


Really keen on the aftershock although not very keen on their lead time. They told me 3-4 weeks lead time when I checked with them over the weekend.

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT
 

hkchew03

Master Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2010
Messages
2,589
Reaction score
553
Sorry. Can't link cos using my phone now but many thanks to all that replied. Now I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the

https://sg.store.asus.com/rog-strix-g-g531gt-gtx1650.html

Of course not from here as lazada has this in stock

https://sg.store.asus.com/rog-strix-g-g531gu-gtx1660ti.html

https://www.aftershockpc.com/welcome/ProductconfigRec/forge15s


Really keen on the aftershock although not very keen on their lead time. They told me 3-4 weeks lead time when I checked with them over the weekend.

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT

If you can wait, do wait for AMD 4000 series. GPU above GTX1060 is good enough for even high setting.
 

zacharyandrew

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
5
If you can wait, do wait for AMD 4000 series. GPU above GTX1060 is good enough for even high setting.

I had an amd desktop once long ago. While playing Cs, it caught fire even though it was supposed to be liquid cooled.😅
 
Last edited:

sobered

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2002
Messages
475
Reaction score
21
the new gen mobile amd chips are a way different breed. not only faster but more power efficient too so better battery life
 

wat8rsp0ut

Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
I had an amd desktop once long ago. While playing Cs, it caught fire even though it was supposed to be liquid cooled.😅

AMD's new Ryzen 4000 series laptop CPU absolutely crush Intel for productivity tasks, and is also very competitive for gaming too, as AMD-powered laptops offer comparable performance at a much lower price. On the battery side of things, they also outlast Intel for quite a bit more (for non-gaming tasks, of course)
 

Zeltos

Master Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2001
Messages
3,222
Reaction score
219
Hi everyone,

I need help choosing a laptop. I haven't bought a new laptop since my last one which was the R1 Alienware in 2010. I know a lot has changed and I haven't kept up with the latest trends. Please give me your insights. Thank you all in advance.

I'm looking for a 15 inch laptop which I will be carrying around. Not looking for anything smaller. Too old already need the bigger screen.

I will be mainly using it for web browsing, video conferencing, Netflix, Words, Excel but I would also really like to be able to play L4D2 and PUBG (only these 2 games, definitely won't be playing anything else because I'm more of a console gamer) with at least medium settings.

my budget is about 1.4k (can stretch a bit la), The lighter and more durable the better.

I have narrowed it down to these 5

I honestly prefer the Asus vivobook s15 (because I am biased) but would like more opinions and wouldn't mind any other options as well.

https://sg.store.asus.com/asus-vivobook-s15-s533fl-bq156t.html

https://store.hp.com/sg-en/default/hp-pavilion-15-cs3018tx-8nv76pa.html

https://www.reebelo.com/collections...nspiron155593-midnightblue-512gbssd-singapore

https://www.aftershockpc.com/welcome/ProductconfigRec/forge15s

https://sg.store.asus.com/asus-vivobook-gaming-15-f571gt-al369t.html
heaviest and the most ex of the lot. Will only get this if the rest really can't make it as this is about 200 above my original budget

I know that the dell is 2nd hand but i don't mind it for this because i can't seem to find this configuration on the dell website which is mainly just the graphic card (this has an mx230 while the one on the dell website are integrated graphics card

Please help me choose. Thank you! In order of preference

1.4k can get you a decent laptop with i5, ssd and 8gb of ram. Avoid Acer and Aftershock unless you like RMA.
 

zacharyandrew

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
5
1.4k can get you a decent laptop with i5, ssd and 8gb of ram. Avoid Acer and Aftershock unless you like RMA.

What's RMA?

Yup. Never been a fan of acer for many years already. Hmmmm. A friend of mine swears by aftershock.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top