Pls Help Old Uncle to choose MVNO

whitesand

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2001
Messages
392
Reaction score
10
Hi all:

Old uncle need recommendation for Singapore mobile nos to be used in US, for about 2 years, but do not wish to change Sg mobile nos.

I need the sg nos for OTP and keeping Sg local contacts, do not intend to change nos even when I am in US. I will get a US sim for US call/mobile data usage. But my current sg mobile nos is traditional plan (no more contract) and it is quite expensive to keep for 2 years. I wish to change to a MVNO to cut down the cost of holding sg nos since I will be only using it mostly for OTP and emergency contact, while mobile data I can use wifi or US sim.

I have a few question and hope that kind souls here can help:
  • Can I receive SMS & OTP while in US using MVNO basic plan?
  • What happen when someone call my sg nos via voice call? I don’t think it can go through right? Will there be a missed call message? I understand that call via Whatsapp can be done as long as there is network.
  • Any recommended MNVO / plan? I am looking at those around S$10 plan.
Thanks in advance for all help.
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,608
Reaction score
5,595
SIMBA and Eight both include roaming service in the U.S. Eight is data only in the U.S. at the moment (unless you happen to pick up an old T-Mobile 2G signal, which won't last long since it's being phased out). SIMBA includes VoLTE service in the U.S. for voice and SMS. If "old" is literal (age 60+) then SIMBA is only $5 per 30 days (Senior Plan). Eight is $8 per 30 days regardless of age.

M1 Maxx also includes some roaming data and minutes in the U.S., although it ends up being a bit more expensive after 2 years (average of about $8.90 per 30 days).

(Edited to clarify that Eight is data only in the U.S. at present due to a recent change in roaming partners.)
 
Last edited:

A7997A

Master Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
4,406
Reaction score
854
Simba partner in US :
  • AT&T / 310410
  • T-Mobile
  • Verіzοn (5G & VoLTE)
Eight partners in US, none has VoLTE :
AT&T Mobility, Sprint Nextel Op, T- Mobile

I would say Simba would be the better choice here, since Verizon supports VoLTE & Simba has superior VoWifi compared to eight, so as long as you have wifi you should be able to receive calls.

Simba $12 plan provides 8GB of roaming data in US, so unless you are really using a lot, it should be enough.
 

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2001
Messages
175,114
Reaction score
8,418
508418124_692475420086933_2026053306031948095_n.jpg
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,608
Reaction score
5,595
Heya's SG60 promotion for seniors is a competitive offer. However, it would not meet the needs of the original poster who wrote that he plans to roam in the United States.
 

hwsstx

Master Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
4,817
Reaction score
3,533
Hi all:

Old uncle need recommendation for Singapore mobile nos to be used in US, for about 2 years, but do not wish to change Sg mobile nos.

I need the sg nos for OTP and keeping Sg local contacts, do not intend to change nos even when I am in US. I will get a US sim for US call/mobile data usage. But my current sg mobile nos is traditional plan (no more contract) and it is quite expensive to keep for 2 years. I wish to change to a MVNO to cut down the cost of holding sg nos since I will be only using it mostly for OTP and emergency contact, while mobile data I can use wifi or US sim.

I have a few question and hope that kind souls here can help:
  • Can I receive SMS & OTP while in US using MVNO basic plan?
  • What happen when someone call my sg nos via voice call? I don’t think it can go through right? Will there be a missed call message? I understand that call via Whatsapp can be done as long as there is network.
  • Any recommended MNVO / plan? I am looking at those around S$10 plan.
Thanks in advance for all help.
SIMBA suits your description... Seniors Plan is $5 a month.

Edited
Incoming SMSs are free. Outgoing SMSs are not supported while roaming.
 
Last edited:

hwsstx

Master Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
4,817
Reaction score
3,533
SIMBA suits your description... Seniors Plan is $5 a month.

Can receive SMS but cannot send SMS
• If you are overseas and making a call to a local line in the destination you are in, the deduction will be made from your IDD minutes.

• If you are overseas and making a call to a landline in Singapore, the deduction will be made from your fixed line minutes.

• If you are overseas and making a call to a mobile line in Singapore, there will be no deduction. The service is free of charge.

https://support.simba.sg/hc/en-us/articles/4415874442777-Are-international-calls-and-SMS-supported
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top