Poly student wanting to take private A levels.

starishglow

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2018
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Okay so I am in this dilemma, as you all can see from the title. I am currently a year 3 student in Ngee Ann polytechnic graduating next year May with a GPA of 3.22. Obviously this gpa will not get me anywhere in any of the local uni. I have not been to JC either. So i’m thinking of taking A levels part time as I have signed on a scholarship bond for 2 years to work in the industry. My poly course have nothing to do with math or science, as it is a humanities course. My preferred A level combination subjects will be: H2 economics, H2 History, H2 Literature in English, H1 Math. Also considering to enrol in private school to prepare for A levels.

I don’t know am I completely insane about thinking of taking A levels without any pre-experience, but I will really want to enter local Uni! Please advise me!
 

hello7777777

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2006
Messages
368
Reaction score
21
Hi. A levels maybe tougher than your poly course. You really need good teachers and tutors to guide you. The reviews I heard from private schools are not too good.
Your combi is very content based and will take lots of reading and memory work and application.
You can try but usually private candidates do not do as well as JC candidates. Do you hope to do A levels within one or two years?
Your combi is hard to score, IMHO, as compared to science subjects.

Or you may work first, save money and go overseas for uni education, or enter SUSS, SUTD, or SIT (easier to get in maybe) or PSB or MDIS or other private uni.

I am apprehensive about you taking A levels. It is gonna be risky and there is no guarantee.

How about project work? GP and 2nd language? Will these H1 subjects pose problems for you as a private candidate?

Do check carefully. I have a student who is retaking A levels and he has reached his limits last year when he did not do so well and this year. In NS, he hardly has much time to study.

All the best.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top