Poor service experience at MBS Apple Store

louislsh

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
713
Reaction score
2
Dear all,

I would like to seek advice on an experience I had at Apple Store (Marina Bay Sands Singapore).
I sent my 2016 MacBook Pro which could not charge beyond 1%, as stated in this article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163, there is a free battery replacement program.

I seldom use this MacBook and my battery cycle is only at 37.
I check that my battery status is showing “Service Recommended”, again highlighted in the article as a criteria for eligibility.
Now when I got to the Apple Store, the staff seem to be aware of this issue and try to get me to pay to get the battery replaced.

The staff told me it could be because I didn’t do the software update, so a software update usually fix this. If it doesn’t, then I’ll have to pay for the battery replacement. Now this was something that didn’t state in the article as a must do.

When I got home, an Apple Store Admin called me and say my MacBook Serial Number is not eligible for the battery replacement program. I ask for a link and he sent an article which is not relevant to the issue I had. Mine was a Touch Bar model.
https://support.apple.com/en-sg/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

It seem that they are trying to push me to pay for the battery replacement.
Is there anyone here that faces the same issue as me and gotten their battery replaced?

Update 26th June 2021 at 3.30pm
Apple Store called me and say that when they input my serial number against their system, their database shows my Macbook not eligible for this program. I asked for what criteria their database check for and he say he won't know, he doesn't write the program.
He told me to change the battery, they will provide me an offer rate of $280.

Thank you
Louis
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,478
Reaction score
3,162
umm e replacement program states it's for non Touch Bar models...
 

louislsh

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
713
Reaction score
2
I kind of understand now.
Could be due to my MacBook being out of warranty and the replacement program is meant for those on applecare but they could not put this too obvious.
Therefore the remark
Your computer will be examined prior to service to verify that it is eligible for the free battery replacement.

Now, any recommendations on where to get the battery replacement done other than Apple official stores?
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,289
Reaction score
5,867
I kind of understand now.
Could be due to my MacBook being out of warranty and the replacement program is meant for those on applecare but they could not put this too obvious.
Therefore the remark
Your computer will be examined prior to service to verify that it is eligible for the free battery replacement.

Now, any recommendations on where to get the battery replacement done other than Apple official stores?
Suggest going back to Apple especially when it comes to battery stuff.

you don’t want to mess with electricity.

n you get more peace of mind.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,478
Reaction score
3,162
I kind of understand now.
Could be due to my MacBook being out of warranty and the replacement program is meant for those on applecare but they could not put this too obvious.
Therefore the remark
Your computer will be examined prior to service to verify that it is eligible for the free battery replacement.

Now, any recommendations on where to get the battery replacement done other than Apple official stores?
huh? u said yrs is a Touch Bar model, e replacement program link says it's for non Touch Bar models
 

Kairos

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
2,252
Reaction score
63
For peace of mind, approach Apple SG for repair/replacement.
 

louislsh

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
713
Reaction score
2
I send in for the issue of couldn’t charge beyond 1% and it affect Touch Bar model.
The tech guy point me to a replacement program that affects only non Touch Bar models. So they are trying to get me to accept that I don’t qualify by pointing me to a wrong program.

the program I sent in for was
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163
 

kamsani0

Banned
Joined
Mar 9, 2002
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
1,624
Unless my Apple hardware is still on warranty, I would not bother going back to Apple for replacements, in this case battery. Same with iPhone screens, batteries, etc.

Apple charges too much for these services.

Simply Mac.sg got its stuffs from OWC, a reliable third party apple parts manufacturer. Bought their RAMs for my iMacs as well.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,289
Reaction score
5,867
Unless my Apple hardware is still on warranty, I would not bother going back to Apple for replacements, in this case battery. Same with iPhone screens, batteries, etc.

Apple charges too much for these services.

Simply Mac.sg got its stuffs from OWC, a reliable third party apple parts manufacturer. Bought their RAMs for my iMacs as well.
it depends. sometimes the difference might not be that material. so unless really cannot spare the additional 10-20 bucks. worthwhile going back to apple.
 

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2001
Messages
6,092
Reaction score
663
I send in for the issue of couldn’t charge beyond 1% and it affect Touch Bar model.
The tech guy point me to a replacement program that affects only non Touch Bar models. So they are trying to get me to accept that I don’t qualify by pointing me to a wrong program.

the program I sent in for was
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163
This article mentioned Apple had release an update to fix this issue, if yours is not updated they are not in the wrong to reject you too.
Would you be able to power on your macbook via power socket and try updating the OS and contact them again if the issue still persist?
 

kamsani0

Banned
Joined
Mar 9, 2002
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
1,624
it depends. sometimes the difference might not be that material. so unless really cannot spare the additional 10-20 bucks. worthwhile going back to apple.
My MacBook Pro battery was bloated. Got it changed by Simply Mac for S$80.00 I think. Apple's battery replacement is close to S$300.

Not a matter of 20-30 bucks.

I guess many people know about the Apple tax. They always charge premium, for almost everything. But there will always be the one in a million that came out retarded out of the production line.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,289
Reaction score
5,867
My MacBook Pro battery was bloated. Got it changed by Simply Mac for S$80.00 I think. Apple's battery replacement is close to S$300.

Not a matter of 20-30 bucks.

I guess many people know about the Apple tax. They always charge premium, for almost everything. But there will always be the one in a million that came out retarded out of the production line.
That’s why I say depends. I never say that’s the case for MacBook
 
Last edited:

skpuppy

Master Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
3,379
Reaction score
629
That’s why u say depends. I never say that’s the case for MacBook
Question 1: Do u have a valid warranty?
Question 2: Is your model listed in the replacement program?
If answer is no to both, then suck thumb. No point complaining because they are not carrot head. Even if you battery really spoil, you have to pay. Other brand owners would have asked u to pay already. Apple still check for you.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,289
Reaction score
5,867
Question 1: Do u have a valid warranty?
Question 2: Is your model listed in the replacement program?
If answer is no to both, then suck thumb. No point complaining because they are not carrot head. Even if you battery really spoil, you have to pay. Other brand owners would have asked u to pay already. Apple still check for you.
quote wrong post?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top