Possible to turn off GPU fan? (Old GPU)

harharhar

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2007
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
0
I notice the new GPUs automatically switches off its fan at idle and low temp (60C?). Is it possible to set this on older GPU? Specifically my current MSI GTX760 Gaming.

On MSI afterburner, I can only set lowest 34% fan. Set any lower and the fan doesn't go below that still. Anyone knows if there's other software / firmware that allows this?

Now, my reason for trying to do this is to prevent dust build up. Given my case (SG13) where the GPU sucks air directly from the side. (Although I have magnetic filters on the vents). And anyway most of the time my GPU is idle, hovering about 35C with 34% fan.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
i dun think so since that is a new tech which is controlled by hardware and software driver, so its pretty much cant do it, another way is to set to the lower fans speed if the temp is between 0 degree to 50 degree.

*PS: not sure if it even can work XD
 

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
140,668
Reaction score
9,362
low temp at the core doesn't mean low temp at the VRM

same apply to motherboard and PSU

I don't buy this ECO mode story .... must give minimal airflow to all parts
 

longsiew

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
7,500
Reaction score
0
u dun want to see NDP fireworks in yr house:vijayadmin:

I know tomolo is NDP but this is not the way to celebrate it
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,173
Reaction score
17,437
I notice the new GPUs automatically switches off its fan at idle and low temp (60C?). Is it possible to set this on older GPU? Specifically my current MSI GTX760 Gaming.

On MSI afterburner, I can only set lowest 34% fan. Set any lower and the fan doesn't go below that still. Anyone knows if there's other software / firmware that allows this?

Now, my reason for trying to do this is to prevent dust build up. Given my case (SG13) where the GPU sucks air directly from the side. (Although I have magnetic filters on the vents). And anyway most of the time my GPU is idle, hovering about 35C with 34% fan.
Actually there wouldn't be too much dust built-up even if the fans are stopped. So I suggest u keep the fan on. :o
 

harharhar

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2007
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
0
Thanks for all the input. I guess it's not worth the effort at all then haha. Shall just keep cleaning the dust once in a while.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top