Power Plug for USA

funnyclown

Reaction score
Hi

As we have multiple gadgets to charge, I am planning to use this type of extension bought from Singapore
4_way_extension__4f3283d8bc347.jpg

then plug into an universal adaptor, can I use this type of extension in USA?

I rule out the single plug that comes in 3 sides because some hotels might ONLY have one wall socket.

Can our local samsung, nokia hp charger, canon camera charger withstand the voltage? Do I need to get any converter?

Appreciate all advice, as the last time I went to US in 2006, had problems charging the video camera and hp. hence it was totally redundant through out my trip :(

Thanks!

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score

If you are asking to use the above extension cord in States than don't do it.

In Singapore you have 230V/50Hz, in States you have 120V/60Hz - Singapore extension cord is useless in States and if you plug it there you might cause fire.

Instead go to nearest Best Buy or Fry's Electronics and buy extension cord there- it would not cost you more than $5-$7.

funnyclown

Reaction score
Yes! I was referring to the picture that I posted. Oh...may cause fire, sounds scary :eek::eek:

So I just need to bring my own universal adapter
Travel_Universal_Adaptor_and_Surge_Protector.jpg

buy an extension in US and connect all my gadgets? Can I confirm don't need any converter for those items I listed right?

Thanks

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are asking to use the above extension cord in States than don't do it.

In Singapore you have 230V/50Hz, in States you have 120V/60Hz - Singapore extension cord is useless in States and if you plug it there you might cause fire.

Instead go to nearest Best Buy or Fry's Electronics and buy extension cord there- it would not cost you more than $5-$7.

LOL. Why will cause fire, please elaborate. I've always used them when travelling, plugging in cell phone, laptop (180W charger).

Electrical fire is caused by a larger current passing through the wires than they are rated for. All these extension cords are fused, meaning if the current goes beyond what is above the wire limits, the fuse is supposed to break off the connection. Its perfectly fine using a 230V fuse for 110V. Also for the same power rating, at 230V, the required current is less than at 110V. Some appliances uses less power, while others simply draw more current at 110V, as long as the total current limit is still within the limit of the extension, it should be fine, even your converter is fused. All these extension cords are rated for quite high usage, you can plug like air conditioning / fridge in, without overloading, travelling items should be fine.

Buying an extension cord at Best Buy sets you back US$15 easily. Also, what TS is asking is if he can use one travel converter, then split into many SG plug, for which, my answer is yes. Buy extension from Best Buy will mean you need many travel converter and US extensions are quite closely spaced, you might not be able to use all the plugs there, especially with multi travel converter.

To TS, as for if your device can use 110V to charge, please refer to individual chargers. Some will say 100 - 240V, then you can use in US. Others will only be 220 - 240V, then you would be unable to use at 110V. Most laptop / camera / handphone chargers can, however, there might also be exception cases.

funnyclown

Reaction score
Also, what TS is asking is if he can use one travel converter, then split into many SG plug, for which, my answer is yes. Buy extension from Best Buy will mean you need many travel converter and US extensions are quite closely spaced, you might not be able to use all the plugs there, especially with multi travel converter.

To TS, as for if your device can use 110V to charge, please refer to individual chargers. Some will say 100 - 240V, then you can use in US. Others will only be 220 - 240V, then you would be unable to use at 110V. Most laptop / camera / handphone chargers can, however, there might also be exception cases.

Thank you! That's exactly what I meant. I have been travelling everywhere in Swiss, Japan, Asia, Middle East lugging this extension with no problems. But ain't sure about USA. :s11: Hence, I am worry if is usable. Somehow, I do not understand why I couldn't charge the same back in 2006 (I have to admit I didn't use any extension or check the voltage thou :()

This time I have use a magnifying glass to check the individual chargers and it states 100-240V. So I assume is safe to use and I don't require a converter yeah?

Can give me a final picture? Means I can use (1) a universal adapter + (2) a extension plug + followed by (3) 3 pin plug with individual charger.

Ok...let say in a case IF I do need a converter do I use it at the wall socket? then follow by 1+2+3?

Thanks

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can use it that way. Just make sure all the devices are 100 - 240V ones. Sorry for confusion between travel adapter and voltage converter... I mean travel adapter for my previous post.

myben5

Reaction score
T.S smart idea

Plug the 3 pins plug to the universal adapter than to the wall socket.
You have 4 sockets ready to use

I always carry a 3 way socket and an adapter ( not so bulky)

Last edited:

funnyclown

Reaction score
yes a 3 way plug is ideal but not enough for us. We (family of 4) usually have 4 hp and 2 cameras and 1 lappy and 1 ipad to charge when we get back to the rooml. Some basic accommodation only have 1 socket hence needed the extension plus 3 way plug somemore:o

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I always carry a 3 way socket and an adapter ( not so bulky)

I also prefer the extension cord as the plug is not always at the bedside. I prefer to charge my phone at night, plus it doubles as a alarm clock, so will like to have it on the bedside table. I can always pull the extension near the bed then with my phone charged. Same for laptop, I like to use on the bed instead of at the desk. Especially if got more people travelling together.

myben5

Reaction score
Yes! I was referring to the picture that I posted. Oh...may cause fire, sounds scary :eek::eek:

So I just need to bring my own universal adapter
Travel_Universal_Adaptor_and_Surge_Protector.jpg

buy an extension in US and connect all my gadgets? Can I confirm don't need any converter for those items I listed right?

Thanks

Anyone need this travel universal adapter
Mustafa selling 1 for $2.90, buy more cheaper

Laneige

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you! That's exactly what I meant. I have been travelling everywhere in Swiss, Japan, Asia, Middle East lugging this extension with no problems. But ain't sure about USA. :s11: Hence, I am worry if is usable. Somehow, I do not understand why I couldn't charge the same back in 2006 (I have to admit I didn't use any extension or check the voltage thou :()

This time I have use a magnifying glass to check the individual chargers and it states 100-240V. So I assume is safe to use and I don't require a converter yeah?

Can give me a final picture? Means I can use (1) a universal adapter + (2) a extension plug + followed by (3) 3 pin plug with individual charger.

Ok...let say in a case IF I do need a converter do I use it at the wall socket? then follow by 1+2+3?

Thanks

can buy those can sense if its 110 or220V one. i bought the Daiyo from Best Denki. Should have USA 100V ba. Comes with surge protector too. (1) converts SG 3 pin plug for yr (2) extension cable to USA 2 pin socket liked what u said

buy a decent one (extension cable) that can accept 2/3 pins (SG) appliances lo. NEC? not bad ba. i always more for my electrical cables etc. the cable/wires are thicker. 3yrs warranty also.

bring back can use in SG also
other things u know liao lo
yr appliances make sure is universal 100/110 - 220/240V is ok

i bought the one in picture ($2.90) for 20$++ at Isetan lol.

dlabedz

Reaction score
Save your money. Buy the converters you need in the airport one arrives in the states.
Many stores will offer all the converters you need for a trip to the U.S.A. Save the space & weight the stuff takes up in your luggage.

Then you carry only on the flight back to SG.

dlabedz

Reaction score
Hi

As we have multiple gadgets to charge, I am planning to use this type of extension bought from Singapore
4_way_extension__4f3283d8bc347.jpg

I rule out the single plug that comes in 3 sides because some hotels might ONLY have one wall socket.

Can our local samsung, nokia hp charger, canon camera charger withstand the voltage? Do I need to get any converter?

Appreciate all advice, as the last time I went to US in 2006, had problems charging the video camera and hp. hence it was totally redundant through out my trip :(

Thanks!
What you have in the pic will likely not fit in most electic outlets in the U.S.

The plugs are to close together. Look at funnyclowns powerstrip, that works in the U.S.

funnyclown

Reaction score
What you have in the pic will likely not fit in most electic outlets in the U.S.

The plugs are to close together. Look at funnyclowns powerstrip, that works in the U.S.

I don't get what you mean?

Btw, can anyone give some guideline please? Charging a hp (eg samsung) or any appliances in US, does it mean it takes much longer as the voltage is only 110v.

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Save your money. Buy the converters you need in the airport one arrives in the states.
Many stores will offer all the converters you need for a trip to the U.S.A. Save the space & weight the stuff takes up in your luggage.

Then you carry only on the flight back to SG.

LOL, nice advice. But the space problem usually comes with the return trip, not the outbound trip.

TS is asking if you can use this with a travel adapter, thus converting 1 US plug to multiple SG plugs. Using only 1 US plug, who cares if the US plugs are closed together.

funnyclown

Reaction score
Fone, this is what I intend to do, safe right?

20131031_140644_zpsa5eeae17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My extension specifications
27526825-7556-4a27-942a-a665f603a1f8_zps27564d1f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you want absolute answer (ie technically answer), I need the power ratings for the devices you are going to plug in also.

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I look forward to fone's answer but I would simply go with this travel converter that I purchased at a DIY shop. It is an international converter with one socket for your SG/UK 3-prong outlet and it has two USB outlets one of which allows more power through.

Buy two and you should be good to go. A power strip such as the one pictured is pretty bulky and heavy.

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I look forward to fone's answer but I would simply go with this travel converter that I purchased at a DIY shop. It is an international converter with one socket for your SG/UK 3-prong outlet and it has two USB outlets one of which allows more power through.

Buy two and you should be good to go. A power strip such as the one pictured is pretty bulky and heavy.

simply add all the input currents, this should not exceed 10A for the extension cord as shown in your earlier picture. Everything together should not even exceed 5A.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.