Pro-Kuo Min Tang (KMT) Thread

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472
My extended family is pro-Ko Wen Je, for the past year they have been quite upset over his arrest and corruption scandal. I believe that Ko is innocent, but I really see no meaning in supporting his matyrdom. For me, I am pro-China ie PRC, and I therefore feel something for the opposition 国民党 Kuo Min Tang. This week the chairwoman of KMT is visiting mainland China, and I intend to follow her footsteps as she builds ties and strengthen bonds with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) government.

My motivation? What this KMT propaganda ad suggests:

PEACE!

☮️

I am lying flat at home quite often as my employment continuously shifts gears, but I'm not complaining. I have the luxury of time and bandwidth at home as I work from home as a self-employed part-timer, so I use the opportunity to be a political observer. I just completed a lifelong learning course with NUS and I happily watch the engagement between KMT and CCP take off while the Taiwanese Democratic Progressive Party tries their hand at being autocratic.

dang.jpeg
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472

Taiwan opposition leader to visit China as Beijing ramps up 'reunification' push​


TAIPEI, April 6 (Reuters) - Taiwan opposition leader Cheng Li-wun leaves on Tuesday for China and a potential meeting with President Xi Jinping on what she says is a peace mission as Beijing makes a renewed push to convince Taiwanese to support "reunification".

Cheng, ‌chairwoman of the Kuomintang (KMT), Taiwan's largest opposition party, is travelling at a time of increased Chinese military pressure on Taiwan, which Beijing views as its own territory, and as the opposition-dominated parliament stalls a government plan for $40 billion in extra defence spending.

The KMT and the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) have released duelling social media messages ahead of the trip, using the imagery of war and peace.

"Peace is the only foundation for prosperity, and the hope for Taiwan's future," the KMT said on Sunday, putting out a video featuring young people relaxing on the ⁠ground, in a pool and smiling while looking up at the stars.

The DPP shot back in a Facebook post that the KMT was trying to "cooperate with the Chinese communists' scheme to weaken Taiwan's defence capabilities", pointing to the delay in passing defence spending, plans the U.S. government has backed.

Cheng told foreign reporters last month that "peace cannot possibly be achieved through defence capabilities alone" and political efforts were equally indispensable.

She is going to China a month before U.S. President Donald Trump's summit with Xi in Beijing.

While the two sides could strike goodwill agreements in Beijing on trade in agriculture and aircraft parts, they are also expected to discuss areas of deep tension such as Taiwan, where little progress is expected.

In a February call, Xi told Trump that the U.S. "must carefully handle arms sales to Taiwan".

This is the first trip by a KMT leader to China in a decade, though China has yet to ‌confirm whether ⁠Xi will definitely meet Cheng, who will be in Beijing from Thursday.

Last week, Taiwan's China-policy-making Mainland Affairs Council said Cheng should tell Beijing to stop its military threats and respect the Taiwanese people's right to choose their own future.

China refuses to speak to Taiwan President Lai Ching-te, saying he is a "separatist".

CHINA'S 'REUNIFICATION' PUSH​

China has never renounced the use of force to bring Taiwan under its control, but says its preferred option is "peaceful reunification".

It has stepped up efforts in recent weeks to try ⁠and persuade Taiwanese of the benefits, including energy security, which Taiwanese officials have rejected.

On Friday, the Eastern Theatre Command, which would lead any attack on Taiwan, published a cartoon picture of what "Taiwan province" would look like during the traditional Tomb Sweeping Festival, marked on Sunday, if it were united with China.

People lay flowers at a "Monument for the ⁠complete reunification of the motherland", in front of another sign showing the location - Taipei's Machangding Memorial Park, where accused communist spy Wu Shi was executed by the KMT government in 1950.

MT forces fled to Taiwan in 1949 after losing a civil war with Mao Zedong's communists.

Opinion polls in Taiwan ⁠have repeatedly shown minimal support for accepting Beijing's sovereignty under its "one country, two systems" model.

Asked at the news conference with foreign reporters about her views on "reunification", Cheng said the time was still far from ripe for such a discussion.

"What we need to deal with now is how to create peaceful and stable cross-strait relations," she said.

Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Additional reporting by Beijing newsroom; Editing by Kate Mayberry
Source:
Reuters
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472
You are Taiwanese?
No, but I'm influenced by scholars such as Wang Gungwu and George Yeo, and they are somewhat mouthpieces for the Chinese Communist Party and I'm cool about it. To me, I have visited PRC and am impressed by their modernisation efforts, and I would like to help my motherland Singapore advocate for strong ties between PRC and ROC. I am just a propagandist, you don't have to take what I say seriously, on most days I am just a PAP mouthpiece but for this week my attention is glued to China because the KMT trip to Beijing is something I had wished for quite some time.
 

fortunecat

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
84,183
Reaction score
13,318
No, but I'm influenced by scholars such as Wang Gungwu and George Yeo, and they are somewhat mouthpieces for the Chinese Communist Party and I'm cool about it. To me, I have visited PRC and am impressed by their modernisation efforts, and I would like to help my motherland Singapore advocate for strong ties between PRC and ROC. I am just a propagandist, you don't have to take what I say seriously, on most days I am just a PAP mouthpiece but for this week my attention is glued to China because the KMT trip to Beijing is something I had wished for quite some time.
Haha ok. I'm opposite view of you but then it's not really my business :o
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472


Taiwan opposition chief arrives for China 'peace' mission, minister details warship deployments​


By Andrew Silver and Ben Blanchard

SHANGHAI/TAIPEI, April 7 (Reuters) - Taiwan opposition leader Cheng Li-wun arrived in China on Tuesday for a "peace" mission and potential meeting with President Xi Jinping, as a senior Taiwanese minister detailed the number ‌of Chinese warships currently deployed around the island.

Cheng, chairwoman of the Kuomintang (KMT), Taiwan's largest opposition party, is travelling at ‌a time of increased Chinese military pressure on Taiwan, which Beijing views as its own territory, and as the opposition-dominated parliament stalls a government plan for $40 billion in extra defence spending.

Speaking to reporters at her party's headquarters in Taipei before going to the airport, Cheng said she was going on a "historic journey for peace" but admitted some people felt uneasy about her trip.

"If you truly love Taiwan, you will seize even the slightest chance, every possible opportunity, to keep Taiwan from being ravaged by war," she said.

"So I would rather believe that all Taiwanese people hope ‌this trip will succeed, because we can transform ⁠the most dangerous place in the world into the safest place in the world."

Cheng arrived at Shanghai's downtown Hongqiao airport under tightened security and then took a train to Nanjing, home to the mausoleum ⁠of party founder Sun Yat-sen who overthrew the last imperial government and founded the Republic of China in 1912.

China, which has never renounced the use of force to bring Taiwan under its control, refuses to speak to Taiwan President Lai Ching-te, saying he is a "separatist".

CHINESE WARSHIPS

Late on Monday, Kuan Bi-ling, head of Taiwan's Ocean Affairs Council, which runs the coast guard, posted a picture on her Facebook account of current Chinese ‌warship deployments around the island - two off the east coast, and one each to the north, northwest and southwest.

"When you depart, you are doing so from within what they see as the 'Taiwan cage'," Kuan told reporters at parliament on Tuesday, referring to how China's military has termed Taiwan's planned T-Dome air defence system and talking about Cheng's trip.

Speaking separately at parliament, Taiwan's top official in charge of China policy, Mainland Affairs Council minister Chiu Chui-cheng, said Beijing should engage with Taiwan's democratically elected and legitimate government.


"We call on ‌Chairwoman Cheng Li-wun, when facing the Communist Party authorities in person, to demand that they immediately stop their compounded pressure against Taiwan, including military aircraft and naval harassment," he added.

Cheng is going to China a month before U.S. President Donald Trump's scheduled summit with Xi in Beijing.

While Trump and Xi could strike ‌goodwill agreements in Beijing on trade in agriculture and aircraft parts, they are also expected to discuss areas of deep tension such as Taiwan, where little progress is expected.

In a February call, Xi told Trump that the U.S. "must carefully handle arms sales to Taiwan".

This is the first trip by a KMT leader to China in a decade, though China has yet to confirm ‌whether Xi will definitely meet Cheng, who will be in Beijing from Thursday.

The KMT-led republican government fled to Taiwan in 1949 after losing a civil war with Mao Zedong's communists.

(Reporting by Andrew Silver and Ben Blanchard; Additional reporting by Beijing newsroom; Editing by Lincoln Feast and Raju Gopalakrishnan)
Source:
Reuters via Yahoo
 

rider83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
13,365
Reaction score
6,148
From an outsider, I cannot understand what is the point of unification or non-unification?

What do Taiwanese stand to gain from unification? China is firing missile at Taiwan everyday? Stop trade? While the top people looks like loggerheads with each other, general China and Taiwan populations are cool with each other right?

Now lets assume unification comes officially. So now what? Taiwan will hand over US military weapons to China it purchased for reverse-engineering? Taiwan will buy China weapons? More trade or tourism between China and Taiwan? TSMC will sell more advanced chips to China and Taiwanese will huat big time? US' reactions to all these?

While Taiwanese are pretty upset by their own politics (upset between parties), this is an internal affair. Unification is external.

I feel the unification thing is a playbook by Taiwan. Without formal unification, Taiwan gets support from US and yet China will continue "woo" Taiwan. Unification, however, will trigger remorse from US (I emphasize not Trump, but US as a whole regardless who is the POTUS), Japan, South Korea and even Philippines. And I highly doubt China will do much to protect Taiwan because Taiwan must realise they choose a wrong master last time...

Writing till here, perhaps I should clarify that I am nothing against unification. Neither do I hate China nor Taiwan or both. I hope you can help me to understand about this unification thing. For context, in Singapore, we always feel Johor is very close to us although we are technically two different countries. We were part of the same country before but despite our years of seperation, we do not really talk about unification. What we do is we closely work today to ensure our mutual benefits for our nations and for our people.
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472
From an outsider, I cannot understand what is the point of unification or non-unification?

What do Taiwanese stand to gain from unification? China is firing missile at Taiwan everyday? Stop trade? While the top people looks like loggerheads with each other, general China and Taiwan populations are cool with each other right?

Now lets assume unification comes officially. So now what? Taiwan will hand over US military weapons to China it purchased for reverse-engineering? Taiwan will buy China weapons? More trade or tourism between China and Taiwan? TSMC will sell more advanced chips to China and Taiwanese will huat big time? US' reactions to all these?

While Taiwanese are pretty upset by their own politics (upset between parties), this is an internal affair. Unification is external.

I feel the unification thing is a playbook by Taiwan. Without formal unification, Taiwan gets support from US and yet China will continue "woo" Taiwan. Unification, however, will trigger remorse from US (I emphasize not Trump, but US as a whole regardless who is the POTUS), Japan, South Korea and even Philippines. And I highly doubt China will do much to protect Taiwan because Taiwan must realise they choose a wrong master last time...

Writing till here, perhaps I should clarify that I am nothing against unification. Neither do I hate China nor Taiwan or both. I hope you can help me to understand about this unification thing. For context, in Singapore, we always feel Johor is very close to us although we are technically two different countries. We were part of the same country before but despite our years of seperation, we do not really talk about unification. What we do is we closely work today to ensure our mutual benefits for our nations and for our people.
Friend,

I don't know that much about geopolitics leh, maybe someone else can help clarify your concerns.

For me, I just feel that PRC and ROC are one big family, and it would hurt me if one day PRC has to invade Taiwan and I don't like to see Chinese killing Chinese.

Singapore and Malaysia are ideally one big family too, but there's a difference because Singapore is primordially Chinese while Malaysia is mainly Malays, it's natural if there are some cultural differences because our ethnic backgrounds do differ. But whether Singapore-Malaysia or PRC-ROC, what I advocate for is peace, no-war, and kinship. I believe in seeking common ground: For instance between Singapore and Malaysia, we both came from British colonial rule and we can use English as a neutral business language, so we make friends this way. For PRC and ROC, they are both descendants of ethnic Chinese, so if they can conduct dialogue in Chinese, why not? It's better than importing more and more military arsenal from a third party USA and provoke PRC into threatening ROC into submission.

Theoretically, I am also quite concerned about the diplomatic truce between North Korea and South Korea, both countries are technically still at war with each other, and that unification process is a bigger humanitarian crisis looming across the horizon.

I wish for world peace la. I am not an expert in current affairs, but I was brought up as a Buddhist and I don't like to see Asians killing Asians.
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472
Touchdown in Shanghai before adjourning to Nanjing if I understand correctly.

 

rider83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
13,365
Reaction score
6,148
Friend,

I don't know that much about geopolitics leh, maybe someone else can help clarify your concerns.

For me, I just feel that PRC and ROC are one big family, and it would hurt me if one day PRC has to invade Taiwan and I don't like to see Chinese killing Chinese.

Singapore and Malaysia are ideally one big family too, but there's a difference because Singapore is primordially Chinese while Malaysia is mainly Malays, it's natural if there are some cultural differences because our ethnic backgrounds do differ. But whether Singapore-Malaysia or PRC-ROC, what I advocate for is peace, no-war, and kinship. I believe in seeking common ground: For instance between Singapore and Malaysia, we both came from British colonial rule and we can use English as a neutral business language, so we make friends this way. For PRC and ROC, they are both descendants of ethnic Chinese, so if they can conduct dialogue in Chinese, why not? It's better than importing more and more military arsenal from a third party USA and provoke PRC into threatening ROC into submission.

Theoretically, I am also quite concerned about the diplomatic truce between North Korea and South Korea, both countries are technically still at war with each other, and that unification process is a bigger humanitarian crisis looming across the horizon.

I wish for world peace la. I am not an expert in current affairs, but I was brought up as a Buddhist and I don't like to see Asians killing Asians.

Ermz… Ok. Then i also dont quite understand your thread though.

It is about being pro-KMT and not really unification correct? Then this is an internal affair within Taiwan.
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472
Ermz… Ok. Then i also dont quite understand your thread though.

It is about being pro-KMT and not really unification correct? Then this is an internal affair within Taiwan.
There are three major political parties in Taiwan. Several EDMWers are pro-DPP. My family is pro-TPP. So for me, I started this thread because I have been in favour of KMT since the Ma Ying Jeu era, and I am supportive of their reconciliatory stance towards PRC.

For me, it's not about internal or external affairs regarding Taiwan, it's more about where I stand and who I side with as a Singaporean. I chose to side with PRC where Singapore's foreign affairs are concerned, it's just a personal stance. As a result of my views, I therefore favour KMT because they are advocating peace and dialogue without Taiwanese independence. It's just a personal preference, you don't have to agree with me about it.

Still, the reason why I started thread is because KMT is leading a delegation to mainland China and it's something that pleases me, so WYSIWYG. Nothing complicated, just pushing for friendship and dialogue.
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472
The first 15 minutes of this clip are the speeches delivered by Chairwoman Cheng Li-wun and PRC representative Song Tao. A very poignant scenery painted by both sides, both stressing the importance of peaceful diplomacy, brotherhood ties, and an aversion towards Taiwanese independence amidst adherence to the 1992 Consensus, which embodies the one-China principle.

 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,472
000_a72m9ke.jpg


NANJING: Taiwan opposition leader Cheng Li-wun pledged on Wednesday (Apr 8) to channel the spirit of her party's founder Sun Yat-sen and seek reconciliation with China, offering praise at his tomb for the country's achievements following the communist revolution.

Cheng, chairwoman of the Kuomintang (KMT), Taiwan's largest opposition party, is in China at a time of increased Chinese military pressure on Taiwan, which Beijing views as its own territory, and as the opposition-dominated parliament stalls a government plan for US$40 billion in extra defence spending.

In a moment filled with symbolism on her first full day in the country, Cheng laid a wreath at Sun's mausoleum in the eastern city of Nanjing, also the capital of the KMT-led Republic of China government before it fled to Taiwan in 1949, having lost a civil war with Mao Zedong's communists.

"The core values of Sun Yat-sen's ideal that 'all under heaven are equal' have always been equality, inclusiveness, and unity," Cheng said, in footage carried live on Taiwanese television channels.

"We should work together to promote reconciliation and unity across the (Taiwan) Strait and create regional prosperity and peace."

FOUNDER OF THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA​

Sun, who overthrew the last imperial dynasty and founded the Republic of China in 1912, died of cancer in 1925.

He is still officially venerated in Taiwan as the founder of the Republic of China, but also in China by the Communist Party as a Chinese national hero. Mao declared him the "great revolutionary forerunner".

Cheng said the KMT had eventually honoured Sun's founding principles and made Taiwan into a free and democratic society, though she also mentioned the "white terror" of the 38 years of martial law the island lived under until 1987.

"Likewise, on the mainland, we have also seen and witnessed progress and development that exceeded everyone's expectations and imagination," she added.

While Taiwan is a multi-party democracy, China's communist party brooks no dissent to its rule.

Security was tight for her visit.

"I think this is very important for peaceful exchanges between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait," said student Yang Zihang, 19, who came with his classmate to see Cheng's motorcade.

China refuses to speak to Taiwan President Lai Ching-te, saying he is a "separatist". Lai says only Taiwan's people can decide their future.

Neither government formally recognises the other.

TAIWAN OFFICIALS WARY​

Lai's government has said Cheng should tell Chinese officials including President Xi Jinping, should she meet him, to stop China's regular military harassment of the island and respect the Taiwanese people's right to choose their own future.

Speaking to reporters at parliament in Taipei earlier on Wednesday, Taiwan National Security Bureau Director-General Tsai Ming-yen said he couldn't comment on what political parties do, but added China uses a carrot-and-stick approach.

China uses military intimidation and harassment to create an atmosphere of rising military danger and instability across the Taiwan Strait, he said.

"This is intended to make Taiwan's society and public feel the psychological pressure and anxiety of a possible conflict," Tsai added.

"It aims to divide Taiwanese society internally, boosting the visibility of pro-China positions. It can also further obstruct efforts to push forward US arms procurement deals."

Source: Reuters via CNA
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top