Problem resuming from sleep mode

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Hi all,

Was previously using a msi z77 mobo with i5-2400. I never ever use the sleep mode on my comp but yesterday I accidentally clicked sleep instead of shut down.

The computer became non responsive. When I press the power button to resume it boots up then shuts down again. After that, i had to reset the cmos before it could boot up again (even off and on power supply didn't work).

My mobo has been problematic the last few months due to a loose ram slot. So I thought it's time to finally upgrade my com so I bought a gigabyte Z170x-ud5 th with the i5-6600k.

However, I get similar symtoms. This time, when I try to use my keyboard and mouse to resume from standby, the computer becomes non responsive and behaves like it's shut down. I have to power cycle the power supply a few times before I can finally boot again. By the way, this whole time when it refuses to boot, the mobo is still receiving power from the power supply as the power led on the mobo itself is lit.

However, when I use the power button to resume from standby, it wakes up from sleep normally.

Any idea what could be wrong? At first I thought maybe my hd5850 was at fault, but even disabling it and using igp I still get the issue.

My remaining rig specs are on the right. Thanks!
 

xuan87

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
2
Hi all,

Was previously using a msi z77 mobo with i5-2400. I never ever use the sleep mode on my comp but yesterday I accidentally clicked sleep instead of shut down.

The computer became non responsive. When I press the power button to resume it boots up then shuts down again. After that, i had to reset the cmos before it could boot up again (even off and on power supply didn't work).

My mobo has been problematic the last few months due to a loose ram slot. So I thought it's time to finally upgrade my com so I bought a gigabyte Z170x-ud5 th with the i5-6600k.

However, I get similar symtoms. This time, when I try to use my keyboard and mouse to resume from standby, the computer becomes non responsive and behaves like it's shut down. I have to power cycle the power supply a few times before I can finally boot again. By the way, this whole time when it refuses to boot, the mobo is still receiving power from the power supply as the power led on the mobo itself is lit.

However, when I use the power button to resume from standby, it wakes up from sleep normally.

Any idea what could be wrong? At first I thought maybe my hd5850 was at fault, but even disabling it and using igp I still get the issue.

My remaining rig specs are on the right. Thanks!

I had a similar problem like you. Initially had problem waking up from sleep mode, so I disabled it. Then a few weeks after that when I shut down the PC to change my CPU fan, the whole PC won't start up.

After 2 nights of testing, I found out I have a faulty PSU and a faulty ram stick. After removing the ram and replacing the PSU, my PC can wake up from sleep mode without any issue now.

Maybe it's a sign that your PSU is on the verge of dying?
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Sigh. I hope not. Will try a spare psu later this evening.

If really dying, then this will be my second seasonic spoiling in six months. I bought a seasonic for my sister's comp last year which failed earlier this year. The comp suddenly refuse to start up.

Any recommendations for psu around 650w?
 

voltech

Banned
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
251
Reaction score
0
Sigh. I hope not. Will try a spare psu later this evening.

If really dying, then this will be my second seasonic spoiling in six months. I bought a seasonic for my sister's comp last year which failed earlier this year. The comp suddenly refuse to start up.

Any recommendations for psu around 650w?

If its the Seasonic X Series PSU, previously they have some QC issue. i am not so sure about now but still seems to have it though especially the 750w. After that i never get their X Series.
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
If its the Seasonic X Series PSU, previously they have some QC issue. i am not so sure about now but still seems to have it though especially the 750w. After that i never get their X Series.
All of mine are the G series though...
 

Rogue

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,378
Reaction score
122
UEFI bios or legacy setup? How deep you set the Sleep states allowable in bios , S3/S5/C6/C7, etc. Some power supply don't work well in the deeper or newer states and thus require you to disable them.

Anyway, run winver and see if you have the latest version of windows. E.g Windows 10 is version 1511 (OS Build 10586.420). If not, you need to run the media creation tool from microsoft site and restore/upgrade again.

August 2/3 will have another major update to windows 10.
 
Last edited:

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
UEFI bios or legacy setup? How deep you set the Sleep states allowable in bios , S3/S5/C6/C7, etc. Some power supply don't work well in the deeper or newer states and thus require you to disable them.

Anyway, run winver and see if you have the latest version of windows. E.g Windows 10 is version 1511 (OS Build 10586.420). If not, you need to run the media creation tool from microsoft site and restore/upgrade again.

August 2/3 will have another major update to windows 10.
Thanks. Uefi bios but not sure the sleep state. Will have to go home and check. I will try using my old fsp psu first to see if the problem is solved.
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Thanks all. I plugged in my old FSP Aurum to test and it seemed to work fine. I then plugged back my Seasonic and suddenly it seemed to work fine too... But further testing reveals that about 1 in 2 times it will fail. It is easy to tell when it fails: the computer will go to sleep faster than normal, but then it cannot wake up also... so I'm wondering if this is still a PSU issue?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top