Problem with wireless adaptor?

ldlian987

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Hi i'm using an asus n76 and recently there has been problems with my wireless. Last week the wireless connection seemed very slow so i called the ISP and they changed the channel on my wireless router and then it was fast again.

The next day it was slow again so i called again and they changed the channel again and told me if the problem continues they will send the technician over. Then the slow internet happened again so i changed the channel myself and it was fast again for awhile.

Then i used the lan cable to connect to the modem and it was fast. After that when i used the wireless and it was slow, changing the channel did not help anymore. Currently the speed is not stable, using speedtest sometimes it starts at 10mbps (download speed) then drops to 5 and rises and drops to 3mbps. Sometimes it is even 0.17mbps download and the speedtest just hangs there.

The problem is I tried another laptop in my house and the speed is fine (10.5mbps) and consistent. I also did the speedtest on my iphone and the speed is ok. I turned on the hotspot on my iphone and then used my laptop to connect and the speed was consistent (3.5mbps) and doesn't fluctuate like my wireless router.

I tried to update my laptop wireless adaptor by going to the asus webpage and after updating it doesn't really help.

So is the problem with my wireless adaptor? How to fix it? I bought this laptop in aug 2012, i guess the warranty is over.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,705
Reaction score
528
If you are using Android phone, download and install Wifi Analyzer to see which channel is less congested.
 

ldlian987

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
If you are using Android phone, download and install Wifi Analyzer to see which channel is less congested.

I did the wifi analyzer on my laptop and set the channel to the least congested one but doesn't help so I don't think the problem is with the channel. Changing channel used to work but after I plugged in the LAN cable and then unplugged it and use wireless, every channel's speed is inconsistent.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,705
Reaction score
528
Maybe you should state the following in order to make suggestion easy:
1. internet plan
2. router/gateway used
3. laptop wifi type
 

ldlian987

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Maybe you should state the following in order to make suggestion easy:
1. internet plan
2. router/gateway used
3. laptop wifi type

1. 10 Mbps plan
2. Az tech adsl 2/2+ wireless router
3. Intel centrino wireless N 2230
 

killerslayer92

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
0
inconsistent speed usually because u are at the limit of your router range. a faulty wireless adapter does not give u inconsistent speed.

your aztech sound like an old router. time to upgrade

dont know what android phone and other laptop ur using to test but are the tests all conducted at the same spot at the same time? if u use a galaxy s5 or iphone 6 then the speed u get might be better cos they come with better wifi chip
 

ldlian987

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
inconsistent speed usually because u are at the limit of your router range. a faulty wireless adapter does not give u inconsistent speed.

your aztech sound like an old router. time to upgrade

dont know what android phone and other laptop ur using to test but are the tests all conducted at the same spot at the same time? if u use a galaxy s5 or iphone 6 then the speed u get might be better cos they come with better wifi chip

My signal strength is excellent most of the time and very good sometimes. I tested the speed on another laptop and iPhone 4 and both are consistent at around 10 Mbps. I DL the speedtest.net app on my iPhone and used that to test.

I noticed that when I used my laptop to test the DL speed is not consistent and sometimes drops until the speedtest just hangs, but upload speed is always ok and consistent at around 0.9 Mbps.
 

killerslayer92

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
0
My signal strength is excellent most of the time and very good sometimes. I tested the speed on another laptop and iPhone 4 and both are consistent at around 10 Mbps. I DL the speedtest.net app on my iPhone and used that to test.

I noticed that when I used my laptop to test the DL speed is not consistent and sometimes drops until the speedtest just hangs, but upload speed is always ok and consistent at around 0.9 Mbps.

quite sure its a settings problem. laptop and adapter not talking normally. ask on tom's hardware better, high chance nice guy will reply with a answer
 

OPEL184

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
229
Reaction score
0
Hi i'm using an asus n76 and recently there has been problems with my wireless. Last week the wireless connection seemed very slow so i called the ISP and they changed the channel on my wireless router and then it was fast again.

The next day it was slow again so i called again and they changed the channel again and told me if the problem continues they will send the technician over. Then the slow internet happened again so i changed the channel myself and it was fast again for awhile.

Then i used the lan cable to connect to the modem and it was fast. After that when i used the wireless and it was slow, changing the channel did not help anymore. Currently the speed is not stable, using speedtest sometimes it starts at 10mbps (download speed) then drops to 5 and rises and drops to 3mbps. Sometimes it is even 0.17mbps download and the speedtest just hangs there.

The problem is I tried another laptop in my house and the speed is fine (10.5mbps) and consistent. I also did the speedtest on my iphone and the speed is ok. I turned on the hotspot on my iphone and then used my laptop to connect and the speed was consistent (3.5mbps) and doesn't fluctuate like my wireless router.

I tried to update my laptop wireless adaptor by going to the asus webpage and after updating it doesn't really help.

So is the problem with my wireless adaptor? How to fix it? I bought this laptop in aug 2012, i guess the warranty is over.

I experience something like what you are facing before; unstable wireless. From your description, I suspect your n76 wireless modem / router is faulty.

I hired my friend to troubleshot still yield no result.
In the end, I bought a new wireless modem router - asus ac68.
End result, wireless goes back to normal. Signal is strong and stable too.

Suggest you ask your friend to test out your asus n76
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top