Problems with HDB top floor old resale flats?

darkonfire

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
49
Reaction score
8
Recently I went to view a top floor HDB resale flat. It is in an old estate, and the flat is about 40+ years old. I'm not concerned about issues with lease decay or anything similar because I intend to buy this place for my own personal stay, I don't intend to sell.

However, I was warned by my mum that old flats on top floors have issues with water leakage. She also mentioned the unit will be hotter since it's directly under the sun. During the viewing, I noticed the ceilings have hairline cracks, and the paint in the toilet ceiling is peeling off. I intend to ask the contractor to fix these issues during the reno.

Is there anything else I should be concerned abt, when it comes to buying a unit on the top floor? All my life I lived on the second floor, so for me, the higher, the better. However, I'm worried about what my mum said about top floor units and wonder if it's true, or if the hairline cracks and peeling ceilings are all just normal wear and tear that other flats the same age that are not well-maintained will also have. Please advise, thank you!
 

wlcling

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
455
Yes, do hear alot ppl share concerns about water leakage and potentially sun issues.

Cracks i think r common for old buildings so probably more like just look out for existing water leakage and brace future risks if it happens. Can be really troublesome.

Heat not too sure.. if is windy then i feel less of issue. But... if u have alot walls/windows facing west sun then i think that will potentially make it a big oven
 

qhong61

Banned
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
72,514
Reaction score
12,062
Recently I went to view a top floor HDB resale flat. It is in an old estate, and the flat is about 40+ years old. I'm not concerned about issues with lease decay or anything similar because I intend to buy this place for my own personal stay, I don't intend to sell.

However, I was warned by my mum that old flats on top floors have issues with water leakage. She also mentioned the unit will be hotter since it's directly under the sun. During the viewing, I noticed the ceilings have hairline cracks, and the paint in the toilet ceiling is peeling off. I intend to ask the contractor to fix these issues during the reno.

Is there anything else I should be concerned abt, when it comes to buying a unit on the top floor? All my life I lived on the second floor, so for me, the higher, the better. However, I'm worried about what my mum said about top floor units and wonder if it's true, or if the hairline cracks and peeling ceilings are all just normal wear and tear that other flats the same age that are not well-maintained will also have. Please advise, thank you!
Why must top floor?
Ur mum quite right.
 

reiser

Master Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2022
Messages
3,866
Reaction score
1,945
I am also looking at a top floor unit at an old estate. How about water pressure? I like rain shower but I heard that the water pressure on top floor is very weak. Even toilet bowl also cannot flush powerfully.
 

marshmallow96

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
1,528
Stay in mid floor also can have water leaking issue from ceiling... I thought for top floor it might be easier to find Town Council to fix it than other floors, which need to find your upstairs neighbor then get TC involved and negotiate the split of repair cost etc etc

Re the heat... It's kinda true but some old HDB already have solar panels installed on roof top... These can shield the heat 😆
 

qhong61

Banned
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
72,514
Reaction score
12,062
I am also looking at a top floor unit at an old estate. How about water pressure? I like rain shower but I heard that the water pressure on top floor is very weak. Even toilet bowl also cannot flush powerfully.
Why everyone wants top floor?
Most impt must be happy living there and not stress with all the inconveniences.
 

Tuckie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
24,833
Reaction score
1,198
Why everyone wants top floor?
Most impt must be happy living there and not stress with all the inconveniences.
Why not? If they are happy with top floor, then let them be
 

darkonfire

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
49
Reaction score
8
Why everyone wants top floor?
Most impt must be happy living there and not stress with all the inconveniences.

It's not that I die-die want top floor. I generally prefer high floors (after a lifetime of living on second floor and suffering all the void deck noise) and would prefer anything above Level 6. But in this particular block/stack I want, only the top floor unit has become available for sale in the last 6 months. Other sellers don't seem to want to let go of their units.
 

darkonfire

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
49
Reaction score
8
I am also looking at a top floor unit at an old estate. How about water pressure? I like rain shower but I heard that the water pressure on top floor is very weak. Even toilet bowl also cannot flush powerfully.

Yeah you are right, this is another concern to think about. Sian.
 

darkonfire

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
49
Reaction score
8
Yes, do hear alot ppl share concerns about water leakage and potentially sun issues.

Cracks i think r common for old buildings so probably more like just look out for existing water leakage and brace future risks if it happens. Can be really troublesome.

Heat not too sure.. if is windy then i feel less of issue. But... if u have alot walls/windows facing west sun then i think that will potentially make it a big oven
Thanks very much for your reply! Thankfully it is south facing so west sun is not an issue.
 

wahjohreno

Master Member
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
3,382
Reaction score
216
My last home and current home are on the top floor. Yes, when the water-proofing membrane wears out due to constant sun/rain exposure, there will be water leaking problems. But it's not a regular thing, nor would it be a suddenly water comes pouring into your house type of scenario. Once every few years, MAYBE. And for sure, the water proofing has improved and lasts longer compared with even a decade ago.

One good thing about HDB is, they address it when you call in, even when it's not time to re-seal the roof yet. What they will do is send someone to inspect and verify that there's a leak, then they will send people to seal up the specific leaky spot.

I have false ceiling all over my home, and you know there's leaky spot when it turns colour. Once it's rectified, I simply sand down the spot and repaint. It's all white and blends in easily anyway. You can't tell after it's done.

It's a trade off. Top floor has a great view and a much higher ceiling height that you can enjoy every single day. But once in a while, you find a spot or 2 of leaking which will be addressed almost immediately (HDB).

As for heat, I don't notice it. Most of the roof is covered by solar panels anyway. In fact, being higher up is probably more breezy.
 

wlcling

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
455
It's not that I die-die want top floor. I generally prefer high floors (after a lifetime of living on second floor and suffering all the void deck noise) and would prefer anything above Level 6. But in this particular block/stack I want, only the top floor unit has become available for sale in the last 6 months. Other sellers don't seem to want to let go of their units.

Haha, i also lived on second floor for long time. I agree higher floor is so much better. Now top floor (>15 stories), its great because wind is almost always blowing through and bathroom dries super fast, and no need worry mold so much. South facing is the best imo. As for water pressure no issues for me using rainshower on top floor. That being said, stay high floor still got alot traffic noise if facing road ah.
 

qhong61

Banned
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
72,514
Reaction score
12,062
It's not that I die-die want top floor. I generally prefer high floors (after a lifetime of living on second floor and suffering all the void deck noise) and would prefer anything above Level 6. But in this particular block/stack I want, only the top floor unit has become available for sale in the last 6 months. Other sellers don't seem to want to let go of their units.
Mine is mid level.
So far very good.
 

qhong61

Banned
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
72,514
Reaction score
12,062
Haha, i also lived on second floor for long time. I agree higher floor is so much better. Now top floor (>15 stories), its great because wind is almost always blowing through and bathroom dries super fast, and no need worry mold so much. South facing is the best imo. As for water pressure no issues for me using rainshower on top floor. That being said, stay high floor still got alot traffic noise if facing road ah.
Mine mid floor bathroom fully dry within an hour.
Never need to brush for past five yrs.
 

darkonfire

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
49
Reaction score
8
My last home and current home are on the top floor. Yes, when the water-proofing membrane wears out due to constant sun/rain exposure, there will be water leaking problems. But it's not a regular thing, nor would it be a suddenly water comes pouring into your house type of scenario. Once every few years, MAYBE. And for sure, the water proofing has improved and lasts longer compared with even a decade ago.

One good thing about HDB is, they address it when you call in, even when it's not time to re-seal the roof yet. What they will do is send someone to inspect and verify that there's a leak, then they will send people to seal up the specific leaky spot.

I have false ceiling all over my home, and you know there's leaky spot when it turns colour. Once it's rectified, I simply sand down the spot and repaint. It's all white and blends in easily anyway. You can't tell after it's done.

It's a trade off. Top floor has a great view and a much higher ceiling height that you can enjoy every single day. But once in a while, you find a spot or 2 of leaking which will be addressed almost immediately (HDB).

As for heat, I don't notice it. Most of the roof is covered by solar panels anyway. In fact, being higher up is probably more breezy.

Fantastic, thank you so much for your reply! Will consider putting in my offer for this unit.
 

reiser

Master Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2022
Messages
3,866
Reaction score
1,945
Why everyone wants top floor?
Most impt must be happy living there and not stress with all the inconveniences.
Top floor is bright. I used to live on 2nd floor and have to switch on the light in the daytime. I like sunlight to come into the house.

Top floor also gives you a bird’s eye view, especially when there’s no building to block your view. It gives a 居高临下 kind of feeling.
 

Bubble2030

Member
Joined
May 25, 2022
Messages
390
Reaction score
184
Stay in mid floor also can have water leaking issue from ceiling... I thought for top floor it might be easier to find Town Council to fix it than other floors, which need to find your upstairs neighbor then get TC involved and negotiate the split of repair cost etc etc

Re the heat... It's kinda true but some old HDB already have solar panels installed on roof top... These can shield the heat 😆
seriously it depends on luck lah, if you get an unlucky neighbour with poor waterproofing, even stay 2nd or 3rd floor from top also will kena leakage. SImilarly there are so many owners who stay at very top floor who wasnt affected by rain or sun. Very hard to say for certain

If given an option to choose i will go top floor too, because most chinese tend to flock towards highest floor.
 

algerr

Master Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
3,212
Reaction score
343
Recently I went to view a top floor HDB resale flat. It is in an old estate, and the flat is about 40+ years old. I'm not concerned about issues with lease decay or anything similar because I intend to buy this place for my own personal stay, I don't intend to sell.

However, I was warned by my mum that old flats on top floors have issues with water leakage. She also mentioned the unit will be hotter since it's directly under the sun. During the viewing, I noticed the ceilings have hairline cracks, and the paint in the toilet ceiling is peeling off. I intend to ask the contractor to fix these issues during the reno.

Is there anything else I should be concerned abt, when it comes to buying a unit on the top floor? All my life I lived on the second floor, so for me, the higher, the better. However, I'm worried about what my mum said about top floor units and wonder if it's true, or if the hairline cracks and peeling ceilings are all just normal wear and tear that other flats the same age that are not well-maintained will also have. Please advise, thank you!


Your mum is right..

First-hand experience here. Currently living in 40yr old HDB flat - Top Floor.
Every 6mths sure leak especially worst during December heavy rain, call in Town Council, representative come
down inspect, take photo, after CNY start to repair leak on roof ceiling... few mths later leak again... rinse and repeat..

Do take note, the contractor will not undertake to paint your house ceiling. Either you got to paint it yourself or u scrap off the peeling paint...
 

marshmallow96

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
1,528
seriously it depends on luck lah, if you get an unlucky neighbour with poor waterproofing, even stay 2nd or 3rd floor from top also will kena leakage. SImilarly there are so many owners who stay at very top floor who wasnt affected by rain or sun. Very hard to say for certain

If given an option to choose i will go top floor too, because most chinese tend to flock towards highest floor.
Exactly... It's hard to say la, so if really like the top floor unit just go ahead.

One more thing another bro pointed out is usually top floor has higher ceiling, that may translate to higher reno cost cos everything will be taller than "standard size"
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top