PRUDENTIAL SAVINGS SAGA

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,162
Reaction score
10,088
Pru-sh-it is so greedy of course moi hate them. Prudential is one of the most greediest and cheesepie insurance company I had ever seen. You can click the link to see how they raise the insurance premium.

Is this whole WOT even relevant?

Can stick to the endowment+rider issue? :s22:
 

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,671
Reaction score
1,382
Latest BI not available until 16th of April.

in fact my current surrender value is higher than what was projected @3.75% return initially. So i think that surrender value is a very good approximation.

may i ask is it the Gross Surrender Value or Guaranteed Surrender value that is higher than original BI projection ?
 

soneat

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
1,888
Reaction score
318
Latest BI not available until 16th of April.

in fact my current surrender value is higher than what was projected @3.75% return initially. So i think that surrender value is a very good approximation.
For some insurers., the Policy values increases daily, some increases monthly. Annual bonus is added to your policy upon anniversary. Should you decide to surrender , there will be a terminal bonus applied. Unless the insurer cut bonus, if not it is likely that you will received the 5.25% projection (I am assuming your policy is based on 5.25%/3.75% projection).
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,162
Reaction score
10,088
For some insurers., the Policy values increases daily, some increases monthly. Annual bonus is added to your policy upon anniversary. Should you decide to surrender , there will be a terminal bonus applied. Unless the insurer cut bonus, if not it is likely that you will received the 5.25% projection (I am assuming your policy is based on 5.25%/3.75% projection).

you meant to say there is a possibility that one can get the 5.25% nett yield?
 

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,671
Reaction score
1,382
For some insurers., the Policy values increases daily, some increases monthly. Annual bonus is added to your policy upon anniversary. Should you decide to surrender , there will be a terminal bonus applied. Unless the insurer cut bonus, if not it is likely that you will received the 5.25% projection (I am assuming your policy is based on 5.25%/3.75% projection).

good to know

i will be terminating a few of my Pru endowment plans over next few months, so will be able to see if Surrender Value comes close to Projection
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
may i ask is it the Gross Surrender Value or Guaranteed Surrender value that is higher than original BI projection ?

of course it is higher that's why i come out and defend my policy.
If it is lower, I will fxxx prudential upside down and warn you all not to trust the projected value.
 

soneat

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
1,888
Reaction score
318
5.25% is the projected par fund performance, not the net yield. Depending on the expenses, margin etc, and duration of the Policy, it could be as low as 1,2,3%. At best low end of 4%.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
you meant to say there is a possibility that one can get the 5.25% nett yield?

got expenses incurred for protection fee over 20plus years.

Cannot just happily ignore the yearly protection fee lor.
Even if term is cheap....it is not as cheap as what this forum has alway advocated for the same coverage from the same insurer. (i don't see the point of taking the most cheapskate term to save money end up a lot of exclusions, hard to claim and insurers having a risk of bankruptcy).
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
5.25% is the projected par fund performance, not the net yield. Depending on the expenses, margin etc, and duration of the Policy, it could be as low as 1,2,3%. At best low end of 4%.

Got 3 % i very happy already, coz it covers protection fee.

If I choose to terminate my whole life, I have to pay this amount for 32 years for the same protection. :(:(

ibNjGz5.jpg
 
Last edited:

soneat

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
1,888
Reaction score
318
good to know

i will be terminating a few of my Pru endowment plans over next few months, so will be able to see if Surrender Value comes close to Projection
My statement is generally true for whole life policies from ethical insurers. I have always preferred whole life policies compared to endowment because the protection is much higher and I can let it roll as long as I want. Don't have to stop at 10/15/20/25 years. Generally anything above 20 years will yield 3+%

Again, not all WL policies are born the same. If yours does not, I have no comment on that. Thanks.
 

soneat

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
1,888
Reaction score
318
Got 3 % i very happy already, coz it covers protection fee.

If I choose to terminate my whole life, I have to pay this amount for 33 years for the same protection. :(:(

ibNjGz5.jpg
Don't forget your par protection will increase. By policy year 20, probably 180k, year 30 220k. So by the time u r 57 years old, your cover is 220k and not 100k anymore.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
My statement is generally true for whole life policies from ethical insurers. I have always preferred whole life policies compared to endowment because the protection is much higher and I can let it roll as long as I want. Don't have to stop at 10/15/20/25 years. Generally anything above 20 years will yield 3+%

Again, not all WL policies are born the same. If yours does not, I have no comment on that. Thanks.

I think you really very pro and thanks for willing to spend time on our queries. Hee hee. :eek::D:eek:
 

soneat

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
1,888
Reaction score
318
I think you really very pro and thanks for willing to spend time on our queries. Hee hee. :eek::D:eek:
Glad you find my views useful. But seriously you need to read and thoroughly understand your policy.

Just have to reiterate from my point of view, WL policies are really meant for whole life protection and if some day that view changed, it will become my low yield bond.
 
Last edited:

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,671
Reaction score
1,382
My statement is generally true for whole life policies from ethical insurers. I have always preferred whole life policies compared to endowment because the protection is much higher and I can let it roll as long as I want. Don't have to stop at 10/15/20/25 years. Generally anything above 20 years will yield 3+%

Again, not all WL policies are born the same. If yours does not, I have no comment on that. Thanks.

Mine are PruSave and PruAsset Builder policies bought over 20yrs ago.

Projected Maturity values were drastically reduced back in 2008, by around 25% on average & have never recovered to original BI levels since.

Even current BI, the non-guaranteed portion forms 35-45% of Gross Maturity Value, which to me is a big uncertainty & biggest concern.
 

soneat

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
1,888
Reaction score
318
Mine are PruSave and PruAsset Builder policies bought over 20yrs ago.

Projected Maturity values were drastically reduced back in 2008, by around 25% on average & have never recovered to original BI levels since.

Even current BI, the non-guaranteed portion forms 35-45% of Gross Maturity Value, which to me is a big uncertainty & biggest concern.
Personally I am not a big fan of endowment. Most of the time the Policy don't really make financial sense. The only endowment I ever bought was Income Capital Plus and UOB Life Guaranteed Rewards. Both are capital guaranteed and returns guaranteed.
 

peacefulday

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
936
Reaction score
30
Personally I am not a big fan of endowment. Most of the time the Policy don't really make financial sense. The only endowment I ever bought was Income Capital Plus and UOB Life Guaranteed Rewards. Both are capital guaranteed and returns guaranteed.

I think we had a similar choice. I got the uob life guaranteed endowment and the other one is NTUC harvest. I presume all are extinct now :)
 

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,671
Reaction score
1,382
Personally I am not a big fan of endowment. Most of the time the Policy don't really make financial sense. The only endowment I ever bought was Income Capital Plus and UOB Life Guaranteed Rewards. Both are capital guaranteed and returns guaranteed.

my GE Whole Life current BI projection is also like 25% lower than original BI projection after 20 years !

only comfort is that the returns so far is 3% to 4% pa over past 20 years

not so good for GE Living Assurance policies
 

Ilovegreenbeansoup

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
6,581
Reaction score
48
MMine is prulink protection plus bought in 2009.
Paid to date is 21k. Surrender value is 10k now.
It cover death 200k,ti200k,tpd200k,crisis cover 150k.

Termintae now?
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,162
Reaction score
10,088
Was it on the front page staring at me or in small wordings on a different tab?

Why ain't it? Why ain't insurance companies doing it? Why ain't all their investment linked product showing it on a the first page of their policy big big?
Why are you even arguing here about this point? Do you disagree about this?

Just put up a
This product may result in 0 capital gain or loss over the Long term.

It will save both sides from tons of issues that we see now. It is beneficial to both parties so why doesn't insurance companies do it?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top