PWM sensitivity causing eye strain in AMOLED Smartphone

twinbaby

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,541
anyone experienced eye strain/migraine/insomnia after using AMOLED smartphone? this topic is commonly discussed in ledstrain.org and Reddit but I realised many people are not aware of this issue. LCD smartphone is better for the eye because there is close to no flickering and whereas AMOLED when you view the screen on camera there is black lines across it. another way to tackle this issue is to use dark mode and eye comfort reduction mode.
 

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2015
Messages
66,746
Reaction score
6,192
for me i set the eye comfort shield to low level (so that screen won't turn yellowish yet with some protection), and set dark mode
 

progene

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
5,789
Reaction score
777
In Short
PWM is a technique used in phone displays to control brightness.
This tech plays a crucial role in addressing screen flicker sensitivity concerns.
Low PWM Dimming support on phones develop headaches or eye strain.
 

A4size

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2016
Messages
1,636
Reaction score
141

A4size

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2016
Messages
1,636
Reaction score
141
anyone experienced eye strain/migraine/insomnia after using AMOLED smartphone? this topic is commonly discussed in ledstrain.org and Reddit but I realised many people are not aware of this issue. LCD smartphone is better for the eye because there is close to no flickering and whereas AMOLED when you view the screen on camera there is black lines across it. another way to tackle this issue is to use dark mode and eye comfort reduction mode.

So far no issues :o ,
But for long hrs usage, use dim mode, set minimum screen brightness. Not sure if it helps...but can put on Anti-BlueLight specs while viewing.

I do hear a lot of middle aged users turned 老花眼 complaining due to prolonged looking at HP screen.

Insomnia no...not true :s13: . I always sleep within 5 mins even after staring at screens for hours beforehand :s13:
 

twinbaby

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,541
So far no issues :o ,
But for long hrs usage, use dim mode, set minimum screen brightness. Not sure if it helps...but can put on Anti-BlueLight specs while viewing.

I do hear a lot of middle aged users turned 老花眼 complaining due to prolonged looking at HP screen.

Insomnia no...not true :s13: . I always sleep within 5 mins even after staring at screens for hours beforehand :s13:
the problem about setting minimum brightness is that PWM screen will induce flickering. it's common and very well researched.

for me, a fast internet and fast phone- cause I get quite irritated when phone run slowly. and also, set my browser to dark mode.

blue light all these are gimmick
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,037
Reaction score
8,289
I have less eye strain after using S23U, more eye strain using xiaomi phone.. apple one also quite comfortable to my eyes..
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,037
Reaction score
8,289
is it cheap phone eyesore

maybe? S23U and iPhone i can stare at it all day, no headache no eye discomfort..

My old xiaomi phone I had a problem since day 1 using the screen, and it all went away after I changed phone
 

1982-1994

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2016
Messages
50,404
Reaction score
25,324
Best is to use LCD phones
Except for honor X9 ,I realized the rest of the LCD phones do not support super fast charging
Plus the fingerprint scanner is always by the side instead of on the display

I felt that the best LCD phone that is an all rounder is Huawei mate 20 though I am still using redmagic 8 pro due to the super fast charging
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top