Qinghai Itinerary - any suggestions?

TheSage

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
17
Anyone been to Qinghai? When's the best time to go? Ideally, how many days and how should the itinerary go? I understand most itineraries start from Xining
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,027
Reaction score
1,918
I have never been to Qinghai or Xining. Qinghai is remote even to Chinese domestic tourists. In my impression, people visit Xining as a stopover to go elsewhere, like to board the train to Lhasa. Xining is also a station if you use the high-speed train between Xi'an and Xinjiang. I have only been to Lanzhou which is on the train route between Xining and Xi'an.

Let us know what you discover.
 

TheSage

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
17
I understand Qinghai is a very large province. So far, based on my research, can do a 3 - 5 days trip out from Xining. However, I understand that there's a lot of places in Qinghai that is off limits to foreigners. I think they have a lot of military installations eg nuclear around the province since it is quite isolated. Some local tours also do a mix of Dunhuang and Qinghai attractions together. I was thinking of going to Lanzhou after Xining to do the Dunhuang route.
 

m1kid85

Master Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
4,589
Reaction score
426
Any updates to your trip? I am also planning to go Qinghai in August. Maybe doing a 7 to 9 days trip.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top