Quality of aftershock laptops?

djccii

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone, just a few question for those who have aftershock laptops, or xg15 specifically.

1. Any issues during your first few months using the unit? How often you encounter problems?
2. Can xg15 with gtx860 handle the temperature well? (Without applying thermal paste often?)

I am planning to trade in my 1year10months old asus k55vd laptop. Quality is good since i never had a single issue since i bought it. So im thinking if aftershock would be the same. Yes i know,sometimes it cannot be avoided if you are lucky but going to service center often (even tho i know they have an excellent service) is a bit frustrating for me. For the heat issue, my laptop tends to get hot but not to the point that i can fry an egg, and it doesnt affect my gaming. So temp like this should be ok as long as it doesnt touch any part of my hand.

Thanks for the help. :)
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
the gtx 860m produces very little heat as compared to higher end models. The xg 15 should handle it very well.
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
I doubt anyone used the Xg15 V2 yet lol, it's not launched yet?

GTX860M got Kepler and Maxwell version, so Maxwell will be much lesser power prone and thus generate very lesser heat.

Anything in above GTX860M will be Kepler and will generate more power and heat, but of course performance is differ quite alot
 

djccii

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Thanks guys for the reply. So, i think there will be no problem with the temperature management. Now, only the quality.
 

djccii

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I doubt anyone used the Xg15 V2 yet lol, it's not launched yet?

GTX860M got Kepler and Maxwell version, so Maxwell will be much lesser power prone and thus generate very lesser heat.

Anything in above GTX860M will be Kepler and will generate more power and heat, but of course performance is differ quite alot

Thanks for your reply. Just one question, you mean xg15 with 860 not launched yet? I saw their site and there is already a price for xg15_v3 and can customize it already.
 

michaelgim

Master Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
3,636
Reaction score
0
Being an owner of XG15 V2, I can say that it handles heat load pretty well. But my system is configured with 765 rather than 860.

However, to be honest, when you are playing some serious graphics games, the sound from the fan is pretty loud.

Aftershock tried to rectified that with a BIOS upgrade, but does not really rectify the problem. I suspect Clevo does not have a good variable speed fan installed and it is confirmed by Aftershock. Not sure if the fan is improved in the V3...
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
Thanks for your reply. Just one question, you mean xg15 with 860 not launched yet? I saw their site and there is already a price for xg15_v3 and can customize it already.

Typo, I meant V3 with GTX860M isn't out yet, yes they have the customising page but its just released, so it's not shipped out thus nobody has try it, in your case you meant for months haha.

You have to check if the GTX860M is Kepler or Maxwell.
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
Being an owner of XG15 V2, I can say that it handles heat load pretty well. But my system is configured with 765 rather than 860.

However, to be honest, when you are playing some serious graphics games, the sound from the fan is pretty loud.

Aftershock tried to rectified that with a BIOS upgrade, but does not really rectify the problem. I suspect Clevo does not have a good variable speed fan installed and it is confirmed by Aftershock. Not sure if the fan is improved in the V3...

I think it's pretty normal during intense gaming for fans to spin at max RPM, so this kind of issue will most probably due to the quality of fans used, nothing can be fix by tweaking BIOS, at most reduce the RPM and that's not what you will want during intense gaming.

For better quality cooling, I recommend MSI gaming series.
 

djccii

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Being an owner of XG15 V2, I can say that it handles heat load pretty well. But my system is configured with 765 rather than 860.

However, to be honest, when you are playing some serious graphics games, the sound from the fan is pretty loud.

Aftershock tried to rectified that with a BIOS upgrade, but does not really rectify the problem. I suspect Clevo does not have a good variable speed fan installed and it is confirmed by Aftershock. Not sure if the fan is improved in the V3...

Thanks a lot. That was a good tip about the fan.
 

djccii

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Typo, I meant V3 with GTX860M isn't out yet, yes they have the customising page but its just released, so it's not shipped out thus nobody has try it, in your case you meant for months haha.

You have to check if the GTX860M is Kepler or Maxwell.

Ohh.. I see. I thought it's available already. Haha. So the next best thing would be 780m?
 

djccii

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I think it's pretty normal during intense gaming for fans to spin at max RPM, so this kind of issue will most probably due to the quality of fans used, nothing can be fix by tweaking BIOS, at most reduce the RPM and that's not what you will want during intense gaming.

For better quality cooling, I recommend MSI gaming series.

So for you msi cooling is better? But they only use 1 fan right? What do you think about asus g750jx? I heard asus is really good in cooling. But the downside is the weight, and you must pay for an additional ssd. It is 770m so i think should be ok
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
I think it's pretty normal during intense gaming for fans to spin at max RPM, so this kind of issue will most probably due to the quality of fans used, nothing can be fix by tweaking BIOS, at most reduce the RPM and that's not what you will want during intense gaming.

For better quality cooling, I recommend MSI gaming series.

I dont think its normal. My y410p has its fan speeds pretty limited and even at max load, its very quiet. I cant really hear it. Its quieter than my stand fan.
msi laptops are the same as well. Unless you activate coolerbooster, its quite quiet.
Aftershock definitely has better cooling than MSI. you seem like a fanboy.
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
I dont think its normal. My y410p has its fan speeds pretty limited and even at max load, its very quiet. I cant really hear it. Its quieter than my stand fan.
msi laptops are the same as well. Unless you activate coolerbooster, its quite quiet.
Aftershock definitely has better cooling than MSI. you seem like a fanboy.

What I mean is that, since the user is mentioning life fan noise it means the quality of the fan aren't the best, and with intense gaming the fans should spin at close to max speed.

In summary, fan been noisy at max spin can't be fix just by tweaking the BIOS which clearly AFTERSHOCK is trying to do and fool users, at most they can reduce the fan speed so that it will be quite silence but definitely not going to spin at max speed, it's basic knowledge that fan noise can't be fix just by software, mainly quality of the fan built in.

I'm not really a fan boy of MSI, just that I bought MSI GS60 Ghost Pro tho :D. Tbh I'm actually ROG fan boy, but for gaming laptop ASUS hasn't surprise me yet haha.

PS: Until Aftershock can come out with a gaming laptop 15" at less than 2kg, I will definitely go for AFTERSHOCK, but not, 3kg isn't a joke to carry around lol, I'm almost going to get the GTX880M AFTERSHOCK until I saw the weight of the beast :(
 
Last edited:

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
rpm of the fan is directly related to how loud it is. Just because it spins at 100% load doesnt mean its bad fans. I could turn on cooler booster of msi and say its crap as well. Aftershock laptops are for enthusiast. Keeping the notebook cool is more important than noise. Most people use headphones or earphones anyways.
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
rpm of the fan is directly related to how loud it is. Just because it spins at 100% load doesnt mean its bad fans. I could turn on cooler booster of msi and say its crap as well. Aftershock laptops are for enthusiast. Keeping the notebook cool is more important than noise. Most people use headphones or earphones anyways.

Yes that's what I meant the RPM = Noise, that's why I said AFTERSHOCK can't fix noise issue with just tweaking BIOS as the support team answered TS, total crap, plain joke. Note that I didn't say AFTERSHOCK cooling is bad, just saying it's not right to give wrong info to user by saying we can fix the noise by tweaking the BIOS when the Fans quality are the cause of it.

I know AFTERSHOCK are for enthusiast, but what makes you think other brands like ASUS/MSI aren't, clearly the specs are on equal status, as much as the technology goes. Letting you choose specs manually doesn't make it the only enthusiast brand, they can do this easier because it's based in Singapore.

Sorry but you make me feel that you are more AFTERSHOCK fanboy here or MSI hater :D
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
And also to be honest with you, most people go for AFTERSHOCK gaming notebooks because they are cheaper than most of the other brands, not just because it's good haha, this is true fact as I got couple of friends on tight budget went to try AFTERSHOCK because it's cheaper, and they found it pretty nice, EXCEPT for 1 thing, the weight :s13:
 

Aftershock PC

Suspended
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
987
Reaction score
0
We normally refrain from getting involved in user discussion is it is always great to hear unbiased options from users who have varying preferences, which is a great thing! Will just leave our two cents in this post since we feel its quite unfair to make a statement about us and especially our intentions as we feel you have misunderstood what micheal gim was saying below. So please do listen to our explanation.

The fans do a GREAT job of keeping heat down as many users have shared. Michael's request for us was to have several fan speed variants at different temperatures. (i.e. he only wanted 100% to kick in at a higher temperature.)

The bios update we did was to a version that changes the basic temperature at which the fan switches speed. The fan has 3 speeds with three temperatures at which it kicks in at, and Michael wanted it to kick in at a higher temp rather than lower for the max value. That was his main request, and a bios update was actually done for this purpose in mind.

On a side note. Fans are indeed controlled by the bios, and we're building a tool-kit to allow users to specify what temperatures the fan kicks in at. So that users can decide if they don't want the fans to go at 100% at a specific temperature.

Another thing we'd like to clarify is for the XG15 V3- We already have it on display at funan IT mall, and the unit is already readily shipping out to users. Though there is some wait time as we have a queue of users for this model.

Hope this clarifies this for you :) In terms of actual operating temperatures and such, i would go so far to say that is actually our strong suite. This is something that clevo based systems are actually renowned for being great at.
 
Last edited:

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
i am a lenovo fanboy just FYI. I am not getting your point on the fan. Bios CAN control fan speed and rpm = fan noise.
So whats the problem with fan quality?
I would rather have good cooling than a light notebook. Do you think copper heat sinks are weightless?
 

djccii

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Going to chip in our two cents here. Since we feel its quite unfair to make a statement about us and our intentions when you have misunderstood what micheal gim was saying below. So do listen to our explanation.

Michael's request for us was to have several fan speed variants at different temperatures. (i.e. he only wanted 100% to kick in at a higher temperature.)

The bios update we did was to a version that changes the basic temperature at which the fan switches speed. The fan has 3 speeds with three temperatures at which it kicks in at, and Michael wanted it to kick in at a higher temp rather than lower for the max value. That was his main request, and a bios update was actually done for this purpose in mind.

On a side note. Fans are indeed controlled by the bios, and we're building a tool-kit to allow users to specify what temperatures the fan kicks in at. So that users can decide if they don't want the fans to go at 100% at a specific temperature.

Another thing we'd like to clarify is for the XG15 V3- We already have it on display at funan IT mall, and the unit is already readily shipping out to users.

Hope this clarifies this for you :) In terms of actual operating temperatures and such, i would go so far to say that is actually our strong suite. This is something that clevo based systems are actually renowned for being great at.

Thanks for the clarification aftershock. By the way, i just came from funan to see the actual unit. the guy stationed there said that it will take 3weeks to get the unit? Is it true? And also, i already sent my laptop specs because i wanted a trade in but no reply yet. Can follow up? Thank you
 

Aftershock PC

Suspended
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
987
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the clarification aftershock. By the way, i just came from funan to see the actual unit. the guy stationed there said that it will take 3weeks to get the unit? Is it true? And also, i already sent my laptop specs because i wanted a trade in but no reply yet. Can follow up? Thank you

Will just drop an email to our trade in partner to see if we can get the trade in quotes faster.

As for model availability all models are already shipping but we're doing it on a first come first serve basis. the xg15 v3 just went out of stock yesterday (xg13 and x models are available readily now), but the wait time around 2-3 weeks for the xg15 v3.

Will get back asap. Could you PM me your name so i know which trade in request to provide you details for?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top