Question regarding hand carry items.

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
6,442
Reaction score
839
If I purchase some skincare product from changi airport dfs, is it possible for me to hand carry that item eg through Hong Kong airport when I come back to Singapore? Cos the item is fragile, I'm worried it might break, some of my aerosol spray products spilled out when I packed them into my checked in luggage previously.

Thanks!
 

eddy2099sg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
13,607
Reaction score
50
If you bought it from the DFS stores from the airport, they will seal them in the security ziplock bags. Just don't use it before you get through the airports and you be fine. During the security checks at the airport, you will need to show up the bottles.

If it is from our airport, you can see if you can buy on your return trip to SG so you don't need to carry it through your trip.

Usually what I do is put my fragile items in ziplock inside a hard plastic box and secured with tissue paper packets and towels so things dun move around.
 
Last edited:

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
If I purchase some skincare product from changi airport dfs, is it possible for me to hand carry that item eg through Hong Kong airport when I come back to Singapore? Cos the item is fragile, I'm worried it might break, some of my aerosol spray products spilled out when I packed them into my checked in luggage previously.

Thanks!

Why cant you buy when you are back? (only thing I can think of is when you return near or after midnight).
 

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
6,442
Reaction score
839
Unfortunately I got the duty free item from ishopchangi.com cos there was a credit card promotion. I can only collect it before my departure flight. Just noted that the skincare products are packaged in glass bottles, sigh.. And today when I packed my skincares in spray bottles into my check in luggage, a lot leaked out even though I already wrapped them carefully with bubble packaging. Lesson learnt, don't ever pack fragile item into check in bags.

I guess the only way now is to unpack my duty free stuff out of the glass bottles into 100ml bottles. Don't think HKIA will allow me to handcarry them even though its sealed.
 
Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,635
Reaction score
3,486
The restriction on liquids/gel is the quantity, not whether it's sealed or not or where you purchase it from, with the exception of flights going into Europe.
 

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
6,442
Reaction score
839
The restriction on liquids/gel is the quantity, not whether it's sealed or not or where you purchase it from, with the exception of flights going into Europe.

Guess I will have to repack my stuff out? The bottles are quite big. For cream, do I have to pack it in clear bottles are well?
 

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
6,442
Reaction score
839
Another question, after emptying out the contents out of the glass bottles into smaller bottles, can I hand carry the empty gass bottles?
 

jjcc888

Master Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2013
Messages
2,789
Reaction score
0
Guess I will have to repack my stuff out? The bottles are quite big. For cream, do I have to pack it in clear bottles are well?

For liquids/gels in hand carry the rule is not exceeding 100 ml bottles in a clear plastic bag of 1 litre - I use a firm clear plastic 'carrier' bag with a zip to bag all these smaller bottles eg kiasu small bath foam gel n shampoo, or the 100 ml spray can of Energy Water from Institute Esthederm for refreshing in the humidity which always get their attention but always pass as it is exactly 100ml size. !
shouldn't have problems with creams ? Anyway mine all small travel sized ones
 

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
6,442
Reaction score
839
For liquids/gels in hand carry the rule is not exceeding 100 ml bottles in a clear plastic bag of 1 litre - I use a firm clear plastic 'carrier' bag with a zip to bag all these smaller bottles eg kiasu small bath foam gel n shampoo, or the 100 ml spray can of Energy Water from Institute Esthederm for refreshing in the humidity which always get their attention but always pass as it is exactly 100ml size. !
shouldn't have problems with creams ? Anyway mine all small travel sized ones

Do your bottles have the '100ml' wordings printed on them? I called HKIA today and the person told me the bottles must have the wordings but its hard to find travel size bottles with such wordings.
 

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2010
Messages
13,120
Reaction score
75
I think what jjcc888 meant was those actual brands that came in 100ml or lesser bottles/containers. What you meant is those clear no-brand travel bottles that can be refilled? I think as long as it looks small or if you have a proper 100ml/g or less bottle packed in same bag, the security personnel can have something to compare to.

My small travel sized bottles (those that you are concerned about) does not have markings that indicates how many ml they contain. But I always put them with my hand lotion which is 100g, and its the hand lotion that gets the attention most of the time coz it looks freaking big (compared to the rest of the travel sized containers). With that as a "guideline", they can't be bothered with the rest of my liquids...
 

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
6,442
Reaction score
839
I think what jjcc888 meant was those actual brands that came in 100ml or lesser bottles/containers. What you meant is those clear no-brand travel bottles that can be refilled? I think as long as it looks small or if you have a proper 100ml/g or less bottle packed in same bag, the security personnel can have something to compare to.

My small travel sized bottles (those that you are concerned about) does not have markings that indicates how many ml they contain. But I always put them with my hand lotion which is 100g, and its the hand lotion that gets the attention most of the time coz it looks freaking big (compared to the rest of the travel sized containers). With that as a "guideline", they can't be bothered with the rest of my liquids...

Thanks!! Does the skincare container need to a clear/transparent? Or just the zip loc bag needs to be transparent?

And 100g=100ml?
 

jjcc888

Master Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2013
Messages
2,789
Reaction score
0
Thanks!! Does the skincare container need to a clear/transparent? NO
Or just the zip loc bag needs to be transparent?
YES

And 100g=100ml?
YES

My branded Energy Water "skin-care" spray can was light-metal material and greyish in color - NOT clear or transparent at all - but properly marked 100ml !!!
Other stuff like small-sized cream containers also not clear/transparent
BUT my contact lens saline tubes are in clear tranparent plastic tubes of <100ml each
Have also saline/multi-use solution bottles of <100ml that’s NOT transparent as came in whitish odd-shaped bottle [travel-size and came free with purchase of their regular-sized >>100ml bottles]

Mine isn’t a zip loc bag but a biggish [slightly bigger than 1-litre bag] FIRM thicker transparent clear plastic bag that’s 3D "with 4-sides like a flattish package/box” that has a convenient zip at the top and it can hold lots of smaller 100ml or <100ml smallish cans/containers/tubes/shampoo/gel foam/etc which could be EASILY seen without having to open up the bigger bag BUT they’ll ALWAYS check that 100-ml Spray Can IF I bring that along [hahaha - and then pass it ;) ]
This bigger thick clear plastic bag with zip on top - think it was from some other purchased item which I recycle for my Hand-Carry Use here =:p
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top