Recommend Laptop for Work / Grad School

Yevin227

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
927
Reaction score
19
Hello everyone,

I'll be starting grad school soon (animal behaviour) and will need a laptop for research, field work and probably some on-the-go work overseas.

What does everyone recommend? I am leaning towards the surface pro 6 or the thinkpad, but don't know if these are good or able to last for at least 3 years?

thanks!
 

Wzierbovsky

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,345
Reaction score
21
I'd go with the Thinkpad, especially if you can get the X1 Carbons. The Surface Pros are sexy machines, but the few ports it has is seriously limiting. The X1 Carbons on the other hand are future proof with USB-C, Thunderbolt support, MicroSD, and the storage IIRC is replaceable.
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Surface Pros are flaky machines in enterprise environments
 

llamallama

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2019
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I second the X1 carbon recommendations. No frills, reliable, lightweight and the best keyboard around.
 

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Dec 15, 2012
Messages
36,425
Reaction score
3,247
I’m currently in grad school. I highly suggest an ipad 6th gen or later with Apple pen support. Use your academic id to get further discount off your purchase.

If not a surface pro is recommended. My pro 3 is still serving me relatively well after all these years. With some slight hiccups

Hello everyone,

I'll be starting grad school soon (animal behaviour) and will need a laptop for research, field work and probably some on-the-go work overseas.

What does everyone recommend? I am leaning towards the surface pro 6 or the thinkpad, but don't know if these are good or able to last for at least 3 years?

thanks!
 

Yevin227

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
927
Reaction score
19
just wanted to say that i pulled the trigger on an x1 carbon, 7th gen. no regrets! keyboard is nice and performs well. light and functional!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top