Recommend Laptop model for programming

digipet

Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2018
Messages
350
Reaction score
67
Hi all,

Can you recommend me some laptop models to select from for software programming purposes?

Budget 1.3 - 1.8k, 16gb ram, 3yr wty.. Ideally not too heavy as I have to lug it around for my part-time classes.

Right now, i think will be used for learning basic-mid level programming only e.g. app dev, AR, web app..etc

What component/ area of specs should I look out for? any specific brand/models to recommend?

should i get during the upcoming COMEX show / get online better?
 
Last edited:

louislin

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Comex is coming, can have a try, cheaper there ?
For programming, I think at least i7 ~
 

GeekyGecko1

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2019
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Check the Dell Outlet SG out. Got some student discount also going on now I think. You can get the G7 below 1.7k, can extend warranty also.

Tech Specs
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 8th Generation i7-8750H Processor (6 Cores, up to 4.10GHz, 9MB Cache, 45W)
SOFTWARE: Windows 10 Home
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive + 1TB SATA 512e 2.5inch Hard Disk Hard Drive
16GB (2X8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC MEMORY
15.6inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED Backlit Display LCD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 with Max-Q Design GRAPHICS
Dell OutletInsprion G7 15 - 7588 Laptop


https://www.dell.com/en-sg/outlet/P...yid=3&pid=3&c=sg&l=en&rid=APAC&prdid=&seg=DFH
 

cryn79

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
411
Hi all,

I would be studying a data analytics course soon,I believe these are the 3 subjects which I would be doing (eg SQL, R programming, python programming) which requires some CPU and RAM processing power.

I am thinking of getting the T495 with the below specs, do you think my config is decent enough?

Would appreciate some advise, thnks!

1) CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 3500U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.70GHz)

2) RAM
16GB(4X32GX16)_DDR4_2666

3) Harddrive
512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, NVMe, Opal
 

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Dec 15, 2012
Messages
36,425
Reaction score
3,248
Suffice :)

Hi all,

I would be studying a data analytics course soon,I believe these are the 3 subjects which I would be doing (eg SQL, R programming, python programming) which requires some CPU and RAM processing power.

I am thinking of getting the T495 with the below specs, do you think my config is decent enough?

Would appreciate some advise, thnks!

1) CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 3500U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.70GHz)

2) RAM
16GB(4X32GX16)_DDR4_2666

3) Harddrive
512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, NVMe, Opal
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Comex is coming, can have a try, cheaper there ?
For programming, I think at least i7 ~

For ultrabook CPU, i5 or i7 won't make a diff. Both are thermally limited anyway so the frequency difference won't even be felt.
 

obichacha

Master Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
3,047
Reaction score
538
Make sure adding 400nits Display panel

Hi all,

I would be studying a data analytics course soon,I believe these are the 3 subjects which I would be doing (eg SQL, R programming, python programming) which requires some CPU and RAM processing power.

I am thinking of getting the T495 with the below specs, do you think my config is decent enough?

Would appreciate some advise, thnks!

1) CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 3500U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.70GHz)

2) RAM
16GB(4X32GX16)_DDR4_2666

3) Harddrive
512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, NVMe, Opal
 

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
7,394
Reaction score
1,168
Check the Dell Outlet SG out. Got some student discount also going on now I think. You can get the G7 below 1.7k, can extend warranty also.

Tech Specs
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 8th Generation i7-8750H Processor (6 Cores, up to 4.10GHz, 9MB Cache, 45W)
SOFTWARE: Windows 10 Home
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive + 1TB SATA 512e 2.5inch Hard Disk Hard Drive
16GB (2X8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC MEMORY
15.6inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED Backlit Display LCD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 with Max-Q Design GRAPHICS
Dell OutletInsprion G7 15 - 7588 Laptop


https://www.dell.com/en-sg/outlet/P...yid=3&pid=3&c=sg&l=en&rid=APAC&prdid=&seg=DFH

This one is more like a gaming laptop.... and quite heavy I suppose

I wouldn’t recommend H series processor ..... it will give you very short battery time... unless you are confident you can find readily power socket to power up or charge your battery outside....
 
Last edited:

cryn79

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
411
Make sure adding 400nits Display panel

Hi bro,

Thnks for recommending.

Due to budget, I will only upgrade the screen display to 250 nits display.
Unless the discount code is 30% or more, I can seriously consider.
 

obichacha

Master Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
3,047
Reaction score
538
Yeah my T495 just got received today.
Actually I'm quite happy.
But think to let go, my Wife don’t like ThinkPad 😭
 
Last edited:

digipet

Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2018
Messages
350
Reaction score
67
Thanks all for the helpful replies!

is the AMD RyZen 5 Pro 3500U comparable/adequate to the Intel I7s?

@cryn79 do you plan to get your laptop through COMEX/any other sources? got lobang to share?

Do you guys recommend buying the Thinkpad online or during COMEX show/electronics store?
 

cryn79

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
411
Hi digipet,

The T495 is only available via online channel.
Once the comex laptop adverts are out, I will compare with other brands,
 

digipet

Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2018
Messages
350
Reaction score
67
Hi digipet,

The T495 is only available via online channel.
Once the comex laptop adverts are out, I will compare with other brands,

I see, can you keep me updated on your shortlising process? I think our requirements and budget are probably around the same so it will be very useful for my reference.

do you hv any idea roughly how long will a T495 arrive in SG upon ordering? I'll need it at the end of this mth (Sep) actually.
 

GeekyGecko1

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2019
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
This one is more like a gaming laptop.... and quite heavy I suppose

I wouldn’t recommend H series processor ..... it will give you very short battery time... unless you are confident you can find readily power socket to power up or charge your battery outside....

Fair enough. Proposed it cause I assumed he may need a graphic card for his coding. If not plenty of U series processors with 16 GB RAM available on the Dell Outlet also. Would suggest the Latitude cause it comes with 3 years on site warranty already.
 

digipet

Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2018
Messages
350
Reaction score
67
Fair enough. Proposed it cause I assumed he may need a graphic card for his coding. If not plenty of U series processors with 16 GB RAM available on the Dell Outlet also. Would suggest the Latitude cause it comes with 3 years on site warranty already.

Appreciate the thoughtfulness bro. I've never bought a Dell refurbished before, it seems like those can't be extended to 3 yrs warranty?

I dont see any Latitude in the Outlet page, and the new Latitudes w 16gb are at least 2.6k++, do you have any model in specific to recommend? how did you find them on Dell Outlet?

When buying Dell online, do ppl also usually ask for discount with CSO like when buying Lenovo online?
 
Last edited:

GeekyGecko1

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2019
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Appreciate the thoughtfulness bro. I've never bought a Dell refurbished before, it seems like those can't be extended to 3 yrs warranty?

I dont see any Latitude in the Outlet page, and the new Latitudes w 16gb are at least 2.6k++, do you have any model in specific to recommend? how did you find them on Dell Outlet?

When buying Dell online, do ppl also usually ask for discount with CSO like when buying Lenovo online?

I personally bought the Dell XPS from the Dell outlet a couple of months back and was surprised with the condition. Suggested it to a couple of friends. Some bought the Inspirons and have extended the warranty to 3 years. Some bought the Latitudes that already comes with the 3 years warranty.

I just checked their website and there seems to be some error for their Dell Outlet Business Units. I'm very sure there are many latitude units with 16 GB ram that you can get for less than 1.8K SGD. I saw it a couple of days ago. They have chat agents you can ask help from too.
 

stipe

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2000
Messages
844
Reaction score
0
if you need to do serious machine learning, please get one with nvidia gpu
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top