recommendation for good mechanical keyboard

hawkward

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi, does anyone have recommendations for a good mechanical keyboard for both typing and gaming? there seem to be too many and its a little confusing. any help would be appreciated!
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,075
Reaction score
1,769
First thing you should do is try out the various switches to see which you prefer. There is no "best" switch. It is very much a personal preference.
 

zystttt

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
346
Reaction score
0
As mentioned pretty much up to personal preference. As a rough gauge in cases for cherry mx, red is pretty smooth, less actuation force. Blue is clicky (and loud but satisfying), when depressed will feel a click. Brown is in the middle of both, feel abit of the actuation click (not loud like the blue ones) but generally still smooth. Black switch not sure but iirc it has more actuation force. For the keyboard experts there correct me if I'm wrong. There are people that says reds are good for typing, blues for gaming and Browns for abit of both. It's all up to personal preference, I own a Corsair K70 RGB Cherry Brown. Pretty satisfied with it. Hope it helps
 

yunie_

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
34
I recently bought a mechanical keyboard from xtreme. I was very much into filco ninja blue when I first went in. however, the clicks on the board is so unsatisfying. worst still, there is a big difference between the two units that I've requested to try.

I tried ducky 1 and it is equally unsatisfying. it's only when the sales guy (didn't get his name) recommend something from vortex, claiming that it uses the original cherry manufactured cherry mx that I got the satisfying clicky blue.

it seems that not all cherry switches are created equal.
 

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
3,694
Reaction score
109
In addition to switches, there are other factors to consider too; keyboard designs, full / tenkeyless / backlighting... the list goes on. Most importantly, the budget...

Take a walk around SLS and funan to try out and see what interests you.
 
Last edited:

Kusanagi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2000
Messages
9,507
Reaction score
106
I recently bought a mechanical keyboard from xtreme. I was very much into filco ninja blue when I first went in. however, the clicks on the board is so unsatisfying. worst still, there is a big difference between the two units that I've requested to try.

I tried ducky 1 and it is equally unsatisfying. it's only when the sales guy (didn't get his name) recommend something from vortex, claiming that it uses the original cherry manufactured cherry mx that I got the satisfying clicky blue.

it seems that not all cherry switches are created equal.

the build of the keyboard plays a part as well, it is not purely the switches, once you try a full alu board, you will think those mainstream ones are bad
 

zephyr11

Master Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2001
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
12
^^^^^^^^

check the link i posted above, some details you might want to take note of.
 

idiotboi89

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Messages
1,042
Reaction score
0
Anyone has recommendations for one that is quiet enough to be used in a small office setting?
 

Zahlen

Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2013
Messages
174
Reaction score
2
Is the cooler master quick fire keyboard good? Interested in mechanical too but can't seem to find plain and simple design without all the "gaming" flare and rainbow LEDs
 

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
140,695
Reaction score
9,368
Is the cooler master quick fire keyboard good? Interested in mechanical too but can't seem to find plain and simple design without all the "gaming" flare and rainbow LEDs
i using quickfire rapid brown switch ... no 10keypad to shorten the length and qualify for amazon free ship
no fancy led ... quality good .... add $1.30 o-rings from ebay.com.sg is perfect
the fancy led version rapid-i is said to be made by different factory lower quality ... so don't choose that one
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top