Recommendation for heavy excel and light PS user

iLuvDoggies

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
98
Reaction score
39
Hi all,

Would you be able to recommend what laptop I should buy?

I do a lot of excel spreadsheets with formulas (open a few excels at the same time). I use Photoshop for simple graphics design and photos editing. As such, it has to be fast and cannot be laggy (does having 16GB ram improves speed?). Will be connecting it to an external monitor, so willing to comprise screen size. Budget about S$1500++

Office laptop is using Dell and I've bad experience after using various models so no Dell for me.

Thank you in advance!
 

yukita

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
8,619
Reaction score
250
I think you can consider Thinkpad T14s AMD version.

Hi all,

Would you be able to recommend what laptop I should buy?

I do a lot of excel spreadsheets with formulas (open a few excels at the same time). I use Photoshop for simple graphics design and photos editing. As such, it has to be fast and cannot be laggy (does having 16GB ram improves speed?). Will be connecting it to an external monitor, so willing to comprise screen size. Budget about S$1500++

Office laptop is using Dell and I've bad experience after using various models so no Dell for me.

Thank you in advance!
 

testament

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
2,043
Reaction score
0
Actually what is the problem you are facing with the Dell and can you list the current specs of your dell?

What size are you looking at? Actually smaller and lighter laptops cost more
 

ckctam

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
344
Reaction score
3
Hi all,

I do a lot of excel spreadsheets with formulas (open a few excels at the same time). I use Photoshop for simple graphics design and photos editing. As such, it has to be fast and cannot be laggy (does having 16GB ram improves speed?)

You have to check what is your bottleneck. If your comp is going slow, press control alt and delete and check what is causing the issue.

Is it Ram or cpu? If it is ram, your memory usage will be close to 100%. Then more ram will help.

If cpu usage is close to 100%, then you need a faster cpu (i7 etc).

BTW, do you have a ssd? Make sure you have one for your next comp. Depend on storage 500 gb ssd may not be enough for you.
 

iLuvDoggies

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
98
Reaction score
39
Currently using dell latitude 7290. Cant remember the past models. It will hang/freeze a few time daily, each lag takes about close to 60 sec to recover.

Willing to compromise the size if i can keep to budget. (I almost forget that smaller laptop cost more)

Actually what is the problem you are facing with the Dell and can you list the current specs of your dell?

What size are you looking at? Actually smaller and lighter laptops cost more
 

iLuvDoggies

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
98
Reaction score
39
Thank you for the below, let me get find out. Anyway, i cannot upgrade non configure the office laptop so gotta live with it.

You have to check what is your bottleneck. If your comp is going slow, press control alt and delete and check what is causing the issue.

Is it Ram or cpu? If it is ram, your memory usage will be close to 100%. Then more ram will help.

If cpu usage is close to 100%, then you need a faster cpu (i7 etc).

BTW, do you have a ssd? Make sure you have one for your next comp. Depend on storage 500 gb ssd may not be enough for you.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top